The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by Denbighammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm Petty Bureaucrat Mark Drakeford pins the blame for this week's riots in Cardiff firmly on the UK Government:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-minister

Oh, and a shot at the police too. F*ck all to do with the Welsh Government or Cardiff council apparently.

Seriously, what is the point of devolving powers if ar*eholes like this don't accept any responsibility? It works both ways, surely?
No it works one way in Wales and the population, by and large, lap it up.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:00 pm A huge number were the exact words I used. Not most. If they come here, work and pay taxes, study and pay towards universities and health care, look after the elderly in care homes and then go back to where they came from then that's a net gain for the economy. It means they put a whole lot in and took very little out. Working age people are healthier and pay more tax. The conflation of 'illegal' (which doesn't exist) migrants with people we need and want is a deliberate ploy by the government to whip up hatred. It's all they have left.
They've simply added together all the number of people entering the country, either legally or illegally. If they didn't then they'd be accused of manipulating the figures to hide their abject failure on stopping those that enter illegally...........
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 pm No it works one way in Wales and the population, by and large, lap it up.
Ain't that the truth.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Must say nothing screams 'integrity, professionalism and accountability' more than taking an inquiry you instigated to investigate your governments actions to court to enable you to withhold evidence from that inquiry.

Long Johnson has infected every nook and cranny of the Tory party, they all think stunts like this are now perfectly normal and acceptable behaviour.

They deserve oblivion.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

A laughing stock.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:49 pm A laughing stock.

'Shakiness'. Using that term in official correspondence is juvenile. Apart from that, the current administration wagging its finger about fiscal prudence and responsibility is projection, in the extreme.
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

It's hard for me to get news on him over here in Royal Obsessed America so here's a question.

Which of these options best describes the job he's doing so far.

A) - too early to say
B) - Brilliant
C) - Good
D) - OK
E) - Disappointing
F) - Terrible

Obviously it's a lot more complex than that but I just wanted to gauge how people are generally viewing him so far. I'm really getting no feedback one way or the other, unlike with Boris.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Are options A > F of any relevance when you're trying to polish a turd?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 pm It's hard for me to get news on him over here in Royal Obsessed America so here's a question.

Which of these options best describes the job he's doing so far.

A) - too early to say
B) - Brilliant
C) - Good
D) - OK
E) - Disappointing
F) - Terrible

Obviously it's a lot more complex than that but I just wanted to gauge how people are generally viewing him so far. I'm really getting no feedback one way or the other, unlike with Boris.
Sense I get from Rightie Twitter is there is disquiet over his lack of....anything really.

No personalty, no animating drive, no real principles....just pushing a low-level managerial competence as his USP, halve this, grow that, stop the other...blah blah blah. Issue is his big rival (Starmer) has a slightly higher level of managerial competence and doesn't have 13 years of chaos behind him.
sword
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by sword »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 pm A) - too early to say
B) - Brilliant
C) - Good
D) - OK
E) - Disappointing
F) - Terrible
I'd say D. In my opinion, he could be a C but how would you be able to tell? You'd have to balance this against some of those around him being F - reminds me of John Major's gov't in the run up to the 1992 election.
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Thanks for the replies thus far. It's pretty much what I expected. No one feels much of anything either way :crossed:
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Brushed aluminium cyber-prick.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

This Government for me has echoes of the Major Government of 1992-97. It's a relief It's no longer Johnson or Truss in charge (read Thatcher for comparison), and there was the initial hope that boring and uneventful would be better, but there is a complete lack of ideas to take the country forward.

Major came up with the cones hotline and banning illegal raves, Sunak has culture wars and trying to send immigrants to Rwanda. It feels like a Government that has forgotten why it wanted to be in power in the first place, and the only thing Sunak has in his favour is that Starmer has less charisma than Blair.

I'd score him E on your scale.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Just a barely noted example yesterday of how low the Tories have sunk.

Our Home Secretary told a huge outright lie in parliament. Labour shadow secretary advised the house the right figures and that Braverman was lying.

Deputy speaker Eleanor Laing gave her the opportunity to correct the record.

Braverman just shook her head and refused.

I remember when such bare faced lies to the House were unimaginable, and the cause of scandal & resignation. Now it's just a shrug and a 'Whatchagointodoboutit'
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:44 am Just a barely noted example yesterday of how low the Tories have sunk.

Our Home Secretary told a huge outright lie in parliament. Labour shadow secretary advised the house the right figures and that Braverman was lying.

Deputy speaker Eleanor Laing gave her the opportunity to correct the record.

Braverman just shook her head and refused.

I remember when such bare faced lies to the House were unimaginable, and the cause of scandal & resignation. Now it's just a shrug and a 'Whatchagointodoboutit'
The clock's ticking Junco. She'll be out fairly soon, albeit not soon enough.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:44 am I remember when such bare faced lies to the House were unimaginable, and the cause of scandal & resignation. Now it's just a shrug and a 'Whatchagointodoboutit'
I worry though JP that, now the numerous iterations of this scumbag government have set this low, low bar for integrity, that's the standard now and, as a consequence , I just can't see there ever being a return to politicians adhering to tradition, ministerial code or even plain decency; even when this lot are jettisoned and Labour come in. Much like how Trump has ****ed American politics for the foreseeable, irrespective of whether he ever actually makes it back to the White House himself. I mean, why not lie to the house, the King, the public, your bosses, your department? Why not break the rules you set for yourselves and for everyone else? Why not lay all over the benches like a tramp in a bus shelter? Why on Earth would anybody resign when this government have shown that nobody need do so? We've already seen that Labour are happy to follow the Tories' "Evil Eyes Blair" and the Brexiteers' "Breaking Point" slag-the-other-side-off gutter tactics with their recent digs at Rishi in poster form. Doesn't suggest there'll be a return to civility any time soon.

Without some sort of rainbow coalition to sweep clean and introduce new standards from top to toe, then I fear that this is this now. Blue OR red.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

The Straw wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 pm Brushed aluminium cyber-prick.
sounds like the title of a song by The Fall! :smiler:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

last.caress wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm I worry though JP that, now the numerous iterations of this scumbag government have set this low, low bar for integrity, that's the standard now and, as a consequence , I just can't see there ever being a return to politicians adhering to tradition, ministerial code or even plain decency; even when this lot are jettisoned and Labour come in. Much like how Trump has ****ed American politics for the foreseeable, irrespective of whether he ever actually makes it back to the White House himself. I mean, why not lie to the house, the King, the public, your bosses, your department? Why not break the rules you set for yourselves and for everyone else? Why not lay all over the benches like a tramp in a bus shelter? Why on Earth would anybody resign when this government have shown that nobody need do so? We've already seen that Labour are happy to follow the Tories' "Evil Eyes Blair" and the Brexiteers' "Breaking Point" slag-the-other-side-off gutter tactics with their recent digs at Rishi in poster form. Doesn't suggest there'll be a return to civility any time soon.

Without some sort of rainbow coalition to sweep clean and introduce new standards from top to toe, then I fear that this is this now. Blue OR red.

This - in a nutshell .

I don't know what the answer is or even how to go about changing the Political System we have in place in the UK , is there even a desire for it ?

Do we follow Denmark with their multi-party coalition system of Government ?

Would it be possible to form a Government from the best of each Party or would that become a form of Dictatorship albeit [ possibly ] a benevolent one , who would be in overall charge etc ?

All I know is we need something better than we have now .