The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

They’re trying to attack “over half the households”? My maths is rusty, but even I can work out, that that’s a call, that by definition, can only stand a chance of appealing to less than half our households.

The ever diminishing circles of modern day Toryism. They’re going to end up hating everyone.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Except, of course, those that actually finance their party, such as housebuilding /road construction/medical supply/etc conglomerates that, overwhelmingly rely on...... Er.... public money...
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm They’re trying to attack “over half the households”? My maths is rusty, but even I can work out, that that’s a call, that by definition, can only stand a chance of appealing to less than half our households.

The ever diminishing circles of modern day Toryism. They’re going to end up hating everyone.
This is the rights version of inequality tropes. It may well be over half but lots of them won't see themselves as part of the problem. Its everyone else that is getting something for nothing, I've earned mine.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by hammers92 »

It’s been done to death on here about Sunak’s finances, rightly or wrongly, but not sacking a guy who had to pay a seven figure settlement to HMRC doesn’t exactly do him any favours when he needs all the goodwill he can get.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 am It’s been done to death on here about Sunak’s finances, rightly or wrongly, but not sacking a guy who had to pay a seven figure settlement to HMRC doesn’t exactly do him any favours when he needs all the goodwill he can get.
At this rate it's not goodwill he needs, it's a bloody miracle.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2491 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

smuts wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:31 pm It's from a Tufton street think tank...so more gibberish like nearly everything that spews forth out of there.
What is a 'Tufton Street think tank' when it's at home?

Two of you seem to say this as though it has some meaning to you. I've never heard of it.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Thought you lived there....
SammyLeeWasOffside

hammers92 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 am It’s been done to death on here about Sunak’s finances, rightly or wrongly, but not sacking a guy who had to pay a seven figure settlement to HMRC doesn’t exactly do him any favours when he needs all the goodwill he can get.
The bit I don't get with some of these things is they were pretty well known before the people got the jobs they now hold. Its just asking for trouble at a time its the last thing they need. I get they are short of talent but still you would think they would give jobs to people whose scandals are at least unknown yet.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm They’re trying to attack “over half the households”? My maths is rusty, but even I can work out, that that’s a call, that by definition, can only stand a chance of appealing to less than half our households.
There is a strangely loopy narrative over at the Telegraph about forcing over 50s into work, which skips the notion that many have already done 40 years, paid off their mortgage and worked out a way to live that doesn't need anybody else's money to subsisidise them nor being a full time slave-to-the-man.

In that regard, you are quite right - plots are being lost.

There is no mileage in attacking people who've worked all their lives, when the Border Farce is spending billions on hotels for arrivals and yet doesn't seem to do it's basic job properly, the NHS seems to spend half it's time trying to tell people not to bother them, money is thrown around like confetti and so on.

The wider problem is that there is no one seemingly willing to step up to the plate on this.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 am Thought you lived there....
I'm guessing that's yet another personal dig.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by Prob »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:21 am What is a 'Tufton Street think tank' when it's at home?

Two of you seem to say this as though it has some meaning to you. I've never heard of it.
It is a based used by a number of far right think tanks. They are trying to imprint their extreme agenda on government policy. It's clear they enjoy preferential access to some parts of government and, considering their small size, they are having a disproportionate impact. The groups in that building and how been based there have very questionable funding with next to zero financial transparency and donate huge amounts to the Tory party. They hold huge power within our government and the Tory party. Very undemocratic

They helped tank the UK economy and pushed Truss and Kwarteng in their mini budget. Now those groups want you all to believe it is just some great big conspiracy theory regarding them. They don't call it the backdoor to number 10 for fun.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

e17 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:17 pm The BBC must be praying Zahawi hangs on for as long as possible. Anything to push the story about Richard Sharp’s appointment down the page.

It should be noted that he’s simply the cherry on the big blue cake at the Beeb. Robbie Gibb and Tim Davie are directly below him and both are heavy Tory members, while even their political presenters have stong links with the Conservatives - Fiona Bruce presents question time while married to a bloke who has earnt millions advertising for the Tories.

Dangerous levels of partiality for any National broadcaster, but moreso one that has a rich history of genuinely being neutral.
I used to defend the BBC to the hilt. Sure they pissed me off at times but the fact they pissed off left of centre and right of centre people in equal measure indicated to me they’d got it about right.

Now the levels of political bias their news correspondents show are generally ridiculous. Tories hold the top positions and it’s clear they call the shots. When was the last time you heard a right of centre poster on here moaning about BBC left-wing bias? Says something methinks, when that used to be a real bug-bear for them.

None of this is to give up on the Beeb. That’s what the Tories want us to do. But if Labour win next election the first thing the new media Secretary needs to do is drag in the top brass and read them their fortune.

Anyway, related but back back in topic, the Zahawi stuff is off the scale and more info is coming out about let’s face it what was seemingly (I better use a word like that) a rigged selection process for that top Beeb job so that Johnson could secure a loan, maybe, I don’t know, to help look after his many children, those we know of and those we don’t …

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... arty-donor

They are the most utterly corrupt, unethical, on-the-take government of my lifetime. It’s not even close.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:50 pm
Now the levels of political bias their news correspondents show are generally ridiculous. Tories hold the top positions and it’s clear they call the shots. When was the last time you heard a right of centre poster on here moaning about BBC left-wing bias? Says something methinks, when that used to be a real bug-bear for them.

None of this is to give up on the Beeb. That’s what the Tories want us to do. But if Labour win next election the first thing the new media Secretary needs to do is drag in the top brass and read them their fortune.

Anyway, related but back back in topic, the Zahawi stuff is off the scale and more info is coming out about let’s face it what was seemingly (I better use a word like that) a rigged selection process for that top Beeb job so that Johnson could secure a loan, maybe, I don’t know, to help look after his many children, those we know of and those we don’t …

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... arty-donor

They are the most utterly corrupt, unethical, on-the-take government of my lifetime. It’s not even close.
Could it be because there is now more balance, you don't recognise it as such because you're used to it being so left bias? The BBC are hardly not reporting the Zahawi story and ain't burying the Richard Sharp one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64394677

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64383742

And if they don't bend to their new overlords then they get replaced by Labour's choice of top brass, much the same as the Tories have done?

BJ is the ex PM that keeps on giving, I have little doubt that more stuff will come to light, however, it should be remembered that the Tories have binned him.

I don't know mate, the Tories in the 90's were more diverse with their sleaze.........
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:36 am I'm guessing that's yet another personal dig.
It was meant to be a very gentle aside, certainly not to be offensive. I honestly thought that someone as well read as you would be more than aware of the nature of the Tufton St. operation.
Genuine apologies.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:21 am What is a 'Tufton Street think tank' when it's at home?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63039558
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Imagine being a multi millionaire back in 2011 and not being able to get mortgage. Very weird.

Even stranger that you'd then go to an obscure lender in Gibraltar, secretly owned by your parents, and borrow from them at 8% (remember this is 2011 not the Glorious Truss & Kwarteng era of September 20222).

https://www.source-material.org/nadhim- ... hore-loan/
In a Land Registry document, Berkford gave a UK address in Putney, West London, in addition to its Gibraltar address. Berkford’s London property, about 100 metres from Zahawi’s London home at the time, and was, according to the 2008 electoral register, the home of his mother, Najda Alzahawi.

Zahawi also applied for planning permission for alterations at Berkford’s London property in 2009, according to a publicly available council document. A lawyer for Zahawi claimed the name on the form was in fact “Nadhim Zamawi”.

“This is not our client and not his property,” the lawyer said.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Was kind of thinking if Zahawi was a single mum on a council estate, on UC and got caught doing a bit of cash in hand work he might be looking at a big fine or possibly a custodial - you know, to set an example.
But as he's a multi millionaire Cabinet minister and former Chancellor who appears to have previously threatening people with lawsuits left, right and centre if they dared to reveal information in the press about his tax 'arrangements'..............
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I listened to David Needle's interview on Radio 4 today. Zah awi picked on the wrong bloke - he's a tax expert and a lawyer - and he just gave the full details of what he has discoverde. Zahawi's toast.

Needle aslo has more info on another case that "makes Zahawi's case look like chicken feed."
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

well that's something I suppose
Rishi Sunak has never paid a penalty to HMRC, Downing Street has said after earlier refusing to answer questions on the subject.
A No 10 spokeswoman said: "The Prime Minister has never paid a penalty to HMRC
SammyLeeWasOffside

ironsonthebrain wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 am Was kind of thinking if Zahawi was a single mum on a council estate, on UC and got caught doing a bit of cash in hand work he might be looking at a big fine or possibly a custodial - you know, to set an example.
You are allowed to work on UC. That's supposed to be the point of it