The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Oldun wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:34 pm I would love to know why Boris needed an £800k loan for but I am guessing he will never pay it back .
That's why he has a guarantor :winker:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Junco Partner wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:41 am Jamie Cleverly gets the short straw and pushed out to tour this mornings politics shows.

Went big with the 'Manuel' defence, apparently he knows nothing about Zahawi diddling us out of millions in tax and threatening any journalist who dared investigate it, and equally knows nothing about an undeclared £800,000 loan to Johnson brokered by the man who then just happened to get selected by Johnson for the top BBC job...

Another good day for "integrity, professionalism and accountability"
James 'I know nothing' Cleverly.
Rather fitting, actually.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:04 pm If these people don't know basic stuff like this
They DO know, mate. They just don't give a f***. They either don't think it applies to them, or they're supremely confident of getting away with it. They're generally proven right in that, again and again.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 am It would be interesting to see the demographic of these 'UK traffickers', and how many of the 10% 'disappearing' are actually part of the elsewhere claimed (Telegraph, not that I read it myself though) 20% of Albanian adult migrants falsely claiming to be children.

Sounds like a sh*tshow all round tbh.
Here's one of them:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... on-the-run

Others include Albanian's and Eritrean's according to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... t-children

I'm guessing some are simply being picked up by their mates to complete their journey...........
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

delbert wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:35 pm I'm guessing some are simply being picked up by their mates to complete their journey...........
Possibly. Others are possibly quite happy to take a place in the Albanian gang that's recruiting them. But some proportion of them, according to local anecdote, are abducted and forced to take part in County lines and other gang stuff.

One of the hotels in the article you posted is a few hundred yards from my youngest lad's flat. There are lots of witness reports of incidents involving youngsters being forced into cars, and local residents groups advise young people to avoid the area.

Interestingly, but not necessarily related, the hotel is owned by wrong 'un of the very highest order Adolf von Hessen (previously known as Nicholas Hoogstraten). How the government could commission one of his joints for the operation defies understanding.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rants.html
Last edited by Monkeybubbles on Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Oldun wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:34 pm I would love to know why Boris needed an £800k loan for but I am guessing he will never pay it back .
It must be a strange sort of power relationship at the top of government where the PMis scratching round for a guarantor for a mere 800K loan when he 's surrounded by cabinet ministers worth several million and upwards.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:36 pm Child maintenance would be my guess.
Yeah but what did he do for the next months payment?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 pm Interestingly, but not necessarily related, the hotel is owned by wrong 'un of the very highest order Adolf von Hessen (previously known as Nicholas Hoogstraten). How the government could commission one of his joints for the operation defies understanding.
What a horrible, nasty piece of work he is and when he shuffles off this ball of clay he'd be no loss at all. Disgusting excuse for a human being.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Why are we paying for the cost of Johnson jaunting off to Kiev?
Another bit of deflection from his financial affairs at our cost. We pay for his travel and security, just so he, a back bench MP, can show more support for the Ukraine government.
It's not stopping the BBC heads appointment and cronyism story, ( except in the Daily Hate Mail) but still an unnecessary expensive theatrical trip.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Tezza65
Has liked: 1943 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

It wasn't exactly peanuts that Nadhim Zahaw owed the taxman,was it?

Just the £5 million. :chin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64368681
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Tezza65 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:13 am It wasn't exactly peanuts that Nadhim Zahaw owed the taxman,was it?

Just the £5 million. :chin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64368681
Who can honestly say they haven't forgotten to pay an amount of tax that's more than most people will earn in a lifetime?

I do love the fact that while this happening self employed people across the country will be sweating about dotting every i and crossing every t this week. Turns out you can just forget, threaten to sue people, lie and then "negotiate a settlement" if you don't fancy paying your taxes.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:58 am Turns out you can just forget, threaten to sue people, lie and then "negotiate a settlement" if you don't fancy paying your taxes.
Always the little guy/gall/whatever who gets done over. :swear:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:48 am
Ethics advisor: "I spent most of playtime having a think about this and decided he's paid up so fair's fair. Oh look, a squirrel...."
old fart
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

The long grass is getting crowded
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

The BBC must be praying Zahawi hangs on for as long as possible. Anything to push the story about Richard Sharp’s appointment down the page.

It should be noted that he’s simply the cherry on the big blue cake at the Beeb. Robbie Gibb and Tim Davie are directly below him and both are heavy Tory members, while even their political presenters have stong links with the Conservatives - Fiona Bruce presents question time while married to a bloke who has earnt millions advertising for the Tories.

Dangerous levels of partiality for any National broadcaster, but moreso one that has a rich history of genuinely being neutral.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:27 pm Even the most objective observer (which, of course, I'm not) couldn't help but realise that there are cycles in politics, and it really does seem as though the Tories have been in power too long. They need, as a party, to renew. It stands to reason that when one party is in power for long enough it breaks into factions, and dominating the party's agenda becomes more and more important, to the detriment of it's electability, as familiarity breeds contempt. Traditionally the party has been prepared to gloss over it's internal differences at election time (usually for them to return very soon after) and rally behind whichever individual happens to be Fleet St, flavour of the month, but the upcoming election feels like a step too far, and it's far from clear that some of their usual friends in the press will even back them this time round.
Echoes of 1997 mate, to be fair to Labour* I don't recall the Brown government bowing out in a similar fashion.

* Not something I say lightly..... :lol:
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

When did the daily Mail get into the business of attacking pensioners? The report comes from the very well known 55 Tuffon street. A group of far right think tanks with questionable funding that. Sadly our government listens far to much to 55 Tuffon Street.

Also the daily mail owner doesn’t pay tax in the UK
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

It's from a Tufton street think tank...so more gibberish like nearly everything that spews forth out of there.