The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by Cornelius Beal »

More on the Brexit Pubs Guarantee.

The devils in the detail and not the headline, as per the Child Care statement.

https://t.co/Yl5ajJePRd
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 am More on the Brexit Pubs Guarantee.

The devils in the detail and not the headline, as per the Child Care statement.

https://t.co/Yl5ajJePRd
Chancellor says duty will be frozen. Pub guy thinks it's misleading because duty is actually going to stay the same :chin:
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 am But it would make the problems more acceptable to potential new doctors.
Would it? Bearable maybe
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 am Would it? Bearable maybe
I don't see your point.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:32 am I don't see your point.
To me acceptable is that they are ok. Bearable that they aren't but I'll put up with it.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:56 am To me acceptable is that they are ok. Bearable that they aren't but I'll put up with it.
If you have a well paid junior doctor, not feeling the need to work overtime all the time or not doing comestic surgery on their rest days to help pay their bills then they won't be so prone to errors due to being tired and overworked.

It's the basic principle of paying people well and rewarding so they don't need to flogg themselves to stay above water.

Yes we all have to scrimp but but everyone has litterally someone's life in their hands

It's the same with the police why they always said to pay them well so you don't have temptation with a bribe

Yes even if you paid them £100k a year some will still chase the money and work overtime etc .. but less will feel the need just to cover their rent
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:30 am If we doubled her pay overnight it wouldn't fix those problems though.
Nope it wouldn't but it might make those conditions more bareable.

It's like any job, there is a balance between how enjoyable the job is and how much you are paid. If you absolutely love your job and the conditions are great then you will accepted being paid less, similarly if your work is really tough but you are remunerated well you might stick at it.

If your pay is poor for the amount of training/knowledge you have, then on top of that it makes everything in your life difficult, it's hardly surprising many doctors are leaving the profession and they are striking.

Pay is far from the only issue, but I asked my sister and it doesn't sound like the other concerns are being heard which is a big problem.

To DL's point, unfortunately my wife's family have been let down by the NHS on multiple occasions through shockingly poor treatment. So I don't come at this from a view point that the sun shines out of every NHS staff members arse. That being said, if the NHS was able to retain talent more easily, had a more well rested workforce, then you'd hope the quality of care would improve and those that are poor at their job would be replaced.

As always, you can't tar every employee of an organisation with the same brush.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 pm No all your figures include the extras. Overtime and unsociable hours not the flat rate.

They deserve more
They all have about 85k student loans to pay back as well
old fart

Post by old fart »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:21 pm I can see it being a real help for drs to encourage them to work later than be forced to retire for risk of having a bigger tax bill
Oh goody they'll all have a better pension, while I had about £20k lopped off my pot thanks to liz & kwasi
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I think part of the reason for removing the upper limit on pensions is to stop the most experienced and qualified doctors from leaving the NHS. Replacing one of them who leaves because it's not worth going to work will take years and cost a fortune. I think it's a smart move.
old fart

Post by old fart »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:41 pm I think part of the reason for removing the upper limit on pensions is to stop the most experienced and qualified doctors from leaving the NHS. Replacing one of them who leaves because it's not worth going to work will take years and cost a fortune. I think it's a smart move.
It's not just doctors that benefit, though, is it?

It's millions
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... p-pension/
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Making it universal is probably the cheapest way of doing it, especially considering Starmer claimed it will only benefit a few people.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

stu1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:13 pm Pay is far from the only issue, but I asked my sister and it doesn't sound like the other concerns are being heard which is a big problem.
Concerns? Let me guess.

Obstructive bureaucracy?
Daft rules and procedures that get in the way of efficient running?
A small minority of the public being especially challenging and time consuming to the detriment of all others?
An organisation so huge that chains of responsibility and communication are often unclear?
A feeling of "I'm picking up work that should be someone else's"? The police, social workers etc - and the police and social workers say the same about the NHS. Even within the NHS it will be the GPs, the community nursing team, social workers, mental health teams , the 'acute' .
SammyLeeWasOffside

I thought the tax free part was when you took it out?
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:55 pm Concerns? Let me guess.

Obstructive bureaucracy?
Daft rules and procedures that get in the way of efficient running?
A small minority of the public being especially challenging and time consuming to the detriment of all others?
An organisation so huge that chains of responsibility and communication are often unclear?
A feeling of "I'm picking up work that should be someone else's"? The police, social workers etc - and the police and social workers say the same about the NHS. Even within the NHS it will be the GPs, the community nursing team, social workers, mental health teams , the 'acute' .
All those points you make I've heard my sister mention.

In this instance though, the other concerns I was mentioning are from a personal/life admin perspective. The limited control you have over your own life pre consultant as a doctor is enough to turn anyone off the job, then you can add all the day to day structural problems you mentioned on top.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:18 pm I thought the tax free part was when you took it out?
When you contribute to your pension, the provider claims back tax on it from HMRC to invest in your account. (As you've paid tax already to have that money as 'net' to be able to squirrel away).

This adds to your pot and compounds.

When you withdraw (or crystalise) your pension, you can take up to 25% as a tax free lump sum, and the rest is taxed as income. The firm I work for do the admin for a pension firm that typically has low value accounts so there are small pot claims etc.

MB will be better at explaining it than me, as I mostly work on the administration side of it all.

If I was 60, going back to work on a good wage where I can save, I'd be utilising my ISA allowance first (you can usually invest in the same funds that your pension would be invested in anyway). I doubt there are many people who go back to work who are able to save £20k a year and add to their pensions.
SammyLeeWasOffside

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:42 pm When you contribute to your pension, the provider claims back tax on it from HMRC to invest in your account. (As you've paid tax already to have that money as 'net' to be able to squirrel away).

This adds to your pot and compounds.
:newthumb:
This last bit was what I was thinking about really. As its invested then it will be that that grows the pot over time. Sticking a few grand in at 55+ is unlikely to take you over the lifetime allowance if the 30 odd years of investment haven't. Unless I am totally misunderstanding lol.

I thought you had a 1m lifetime allowance that you could take tax free, once over that you pay tax on anything further you take out. I thought it was that they had done away with.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Twenty five officers attended to this. What a waste of police resources.

Also find it very interesting that they didn't see a need to plaster the business owner all over the internet given he's arguably committed the far bigger crimes here.

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If you're following the Home Office you will have seen the other tweet about 77 deportations last week (which actually exceeded the number of boat arrivals) , including people with a total of 163 years prison sentences between them.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 am Twenty five officers attended to this. What a waste of police resources.

Also find it very interesting that they didn't see a need to plaster the business owner all over the internet given he's arguably committed the far bigger crimes
Only needed because idiots have a habit of turning up to try to stop them, or they were expecting to find a lot more. I agree about the business owner, there's some entertaining tweets in reply......