⚽ UCL: West Ham Utd 1-0 Silkeborg IF (27/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Silkeborg IF: match thread

Post by Peaches »

I really don’t get the negativity. That was as one sided a 1-0 as I’ve seen in a while. We essentially played our second XI, missed half a dozen good chances and still won comfortably.
I thought Areola was excellent when called upon and Aguerd is a Rolls Royce player. The amount of chances we are missing is alarming, but we played some very nice football at times.
We’ve won 11 of our last 16 matches in all competitions and our last 6 home matches in a row for the first time this century, and without being anything close to our best.
ginghamdress
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

The Straw wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:27 am That's fair enough actually. Fair play. My apologies to you.

Just does my head in everyone constantly moaning. Not just on here. Not just twitter. Just everyone moaning about everything all of the time 😂

Going to watch West Ham in Europe here and abroad has been a privelege for me. I've seen 30 seasons of us being absolute no hopers in the league. Very rarely are we in Europe. It might be another 20 years before we're back playing in proper European competition. That's why I'm going to all the amazing away days. I worry that people will never be happy.

I actually reckon if we win the thing and finish 11th then there will be some pissed off fans because we didn't attack enough.
No problem, I know what you mean. I envy you, I have been to some fantastic European games
I wish I could still go, probably why I remember back so fondly
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Peaches wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:29 am I really don’t get the negativity. That was as one sided a 1-0 as I’ve seen in a while. We essentially played our second XI, missed half a dozen good chances and still won comfortably.
I thought Areola was excellent when called upon and Aguerd is a Rolls Royce player. The amount of chances we are missing is alarming, but we played some very nice football at times.
We’ve won 11 of our last 16 matches in all competitions and our last 6 home matches in a row for the first time this century, and without being anything close to our best.
I think the negativity and the fact we struggle to hit the field let alone the barn door go hand in hand. Get the 3/4/5 we should tonight, get the point at Anfield, get a comfortable win v Bournemouth etc and most are happy.

Tonight we won in a mediocre game which is the main thing but we simply cannot continue to be so poor in the final third, especially in front of goal but also with our crossing and decision making. All the debates about tactics, styles of play, etc are worthless if you are not going to convert the chances you create and currently we are failing very badly at this basic.

I suppose the only “silver lining” at the moment is that we are creating opportunities to put decent balls into the box, to pick out players or to take shots. It is the end decision/execution that is poor, better that than not creating them in the first place.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

Coventry much improved from the last time we saw him. He seems to be developing more of a presence around the pitch. Some lovely first time slide rule passes forward as well. Strangely I think he'd actually be a better fit for the "false 10" role that Moyes is trying to do get Downes to do at the minute...
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Considering the packed schedule and our poor start in the league, the brief for this group stage was to get through in 1st place with minimum effort. That has been achieved completely, last two home games have been at walking pace.
boleyn boy
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by boleyn boy »

I dont understand what all the arguing is on here about last nights game. It was a terrible game to watch. Full stop, but we had to win to come top of group... which meant not playing again seriously in this competition again till March 23. WE DONE EXACTLY THAT.
Yeah we should have been quicker on the ball and our players should have been creating more and running into forward spaces and Yes the game could have, and should have been more exciting, but there was no need for our players to bust a gut runing around chasing balls. We were far better than they were, far better. They knew that, we knew that. They had nothing to play for really because they knew they couldnt match us. They are looking at there next game for points. We are looking at next weeks game with a view of testing youth and reserves.
We have a big game coming up on Sunday and l think the manager would have told the team to go out there and win the game but dont get hurt.
We all know that we need to be more clinical and decisive in front of goal and in the last 3rd. We need to speed up all our interactions in the last 3rd and we need to start shooting from at least 12yrds and in the premier thats what we try and do.
Moyes is looking at the domestic leauge and rightly so, because he dosent need to wory now till February about any european games. Next week he can play the under23 if he wants too.
It was a sh.t game to watch for us fans but the team were professional. They did what they needed to do and with no injuries a job well done. :hamm: :hamm: Bring on the Mancs
Captain Corelli
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by Captain Corelli »

OohAahButler wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:54 pm
From what I did see, when we find our shooting boots somebody is going to get a hiding. Just don’t know how long that will take.
. . . and you just KNOW that when we do put a hatful past some team, the moaners will be out telling us all that the ONLY reason we did, was because the opposition were more than crap!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Thought Soucek was poor when he came on, gave the ball away on numerous occasions.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Football's so predictable nowadays. West Ham United win in Europe again.

Yawnfest. :grin:

:smiler:
The hayfield
Has liked: 427 likes
Total likes: 176 likes

Post by The hayfield »

You can smell the utter desperation of some posters on here for the likes of Roma to drop into the conference in order to stop us winning it . :rofl: :crest: .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

S-H wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:36 am Thought Soucek was poor when he came on, gave the ball away on numerous occasions.
Agreed. Kehrer didn't look too clever either.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Moyes' old club Real Sociedad is the only other club in European competitions with a 5-0-0 record, topping their Europa League group ahead of Manchester United.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

BoB_On wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:02 am When we start losing I'd guess.

we've been quite good at that so far tbh , forest, soton, everton, liverpool
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

What I also like about Moyes European approach, is not only has he picked up the results until Frankfurt came along, he's also achieved it mostly in real style. Virtually faultless football in Europe which both Moyes and we can be very proud of.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I thought we played well, and completely controlled the game, with our second string side, whilst giving some of the first eleven a few minutes too.

Comfortable evening, job done.

Struggling to understand the negativity here, but ah well.

S-H

Post by S-H »

After flogging the the same players to death last season across all competitions, how bloody lovely is it, to be able to utilise the squad, and name two competitive sides now.

What a luxury, and something I never thought I'd see at West Ham.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

S-H wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:38 am

Struggling to understand the negativity here, but ah well.

i think we wanted a bit of pzazz and a 3/4-0 , , whether that was realistic , is up for debate
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

IronRhino wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:04 am I was there in the 70's but all I can remember are the big wins, the great games and the great players, but I am sure there was a lot of dross along the way.
Spot on. We remember the good times and forget the huge amounts of dross. Games weren’t endlessly analysed for days after, on TV and social media. A crap 1-0 win was quickly just remembered as a win and we all moved on.

Believe it or not, we are in the midst of a golden period for West Ham. Enjoy it while you can.
S-H

Post by S-H »

chigwells finest wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:42 am i think we wanted a bit of pzazz and a 3/4-0 , , whether that was realistic , is up for debate
But for some wayward finishing, I thought the first half in particular was very good, Lanzini, Fornals and Benrahma all buzzing around, and linking up, Coventry looked good too, we also had Aguerd looking smart at the back, then we made lots of changes and unsurprising our play became disjointed.

Could easily have finished 4/5-0.. but that doesn't take away from the performance in general.

Considering the criticism of our play being overly negative lately, i thought last night we were anything but.
Last edited by S-H on Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

My only gripe (and it's not just this game) is that it's becoming embarrassing how many chances we miss. Looking at Moyes on the touchline after Fornals one last night I think he is getting sick of it to be honest and a few players are playing for their future at the club.