⚽ UCL: West Ham Utd 1-0 Silkeborg IF (27/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mickthekeeper
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Silkeborg IF: match thread

Post by mickthekeeper »

Xabbu wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:25 pm You’re talking about the bloke that is fundamental to Brazil winning the world cup. Lauded by Neymar and you think he isn’t creative. Get over yourself before you implode in your own unsubstantiated anger
I know we don’t have the players that Brazil have, but, genuinely cos I don’t know, are we using Paqueta in his best position / the one he plays for with Brazil?

I thought he played further back than where were playing him?
ginghamdress
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

The Straw wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:40 pm Surprises me that the fella's reminiscing about the 70's are moaning when you consider what this club has done since. Especially the last 40 years. Is it the old 'prefer to lose playing the right way'? Football the sport has moved on from that. So have the players.
You dont have to be old to like watching good football, I was just offering an opinion
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:28 pm Bit unnecessary, do you think we were bad?
What going to bed? lol
Im just disappointed we fizzled out and could have actually lost
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

WCpete wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:40 pm Are we sure we didn't play well in the first half? Maybe I was seeing things but we pinged the ball around fairly effortlessly, got plenty of clean opportunities but just chucked them away. Looked to me like we were playing good football for the first 45. It could have easily been 4-0 at the half. Second half got messier but at no point were we in danger.
We played well in the first half and for the first 5 of the second, I don't know what happened after that
BoB_On
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by BoB_On »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:52 pm How many games does it take for 'failing to convert chances' to become a problem that needs taking seriously?
When we start losing I'd guess.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

We played 6 out of ten against a 3 out of ten team.Wasnt great to the eye but we will play much better than that when we need to.Positives were Areola...Loved it when Aguerd was telling Oggy where to position himself( wish Oggy was 5 years younger as that would be some pairing).Johnson had a better game than on Monday. Lanzani will never be as he was but he gave a decent account of himself tonight as did Coventry.Coufal was better than he has been and Benny still gets you out of your seat.Fornals and Antonio were nothing better than tripe.I recall someone on here saying that he would hate to have a diver in our team...we've got a diver who can't even f.....g dive properly.so yes I can see why people are a bit upset about the display tonight but not all negatives.
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

ginghamdress wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:31 pm I'm not talking about results, it was more the performance, but as it was said tonight earlier we all have opinions
I was there in the 70's but all I can remember are the big wins, the great games and the great players, but I am sure there was a lot of dross along the way.
But how times have changed:
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by stu1 »

You could probably summarise most of the discussion on the match threads from the last few weeks depending on how posters answer to the following question:

Do you think our opposition in ECL, plus Bournemouth, Wolves and Fulham (less Mitrovic) are **** or not.

If no = then you probably think we've been doing well and don't understand the negativity.
If yes = then you think the wins are papering over the cracks and any decent team will turn us over.
Last edited by stu1 on Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

IronRhino wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:04 am I was there in the 70's but all I can remember are the big wins, the great games and the great players, but I am sure there was a lot of dross along the way.
But how times have changed:
That was before I started going. One thing when I see games from those days now, was how bad the pitches were, the Boleyn was awful, but I didn't notice at the time
The Straw
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 1425 likes

Post by The Straw »

ginghamdress wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:56 pm You dont have to be old to like watching good football, I was just offering an opinion
I didn't call you old. You've made that up.

You do seem on a bit of a downer though. Already worried about Roma dropping down? I dread to think how you felt between say 1987-1997? Must have been absolutely horrendous for you when compared to this? The football was worse and we were mostly crap. Scott Oakes scored a hat trick against us FFS.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

My god, that pitch....(Maine Road)
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

The Straw wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:11 am I didn't call you old. You've made that up.

You do seem on a bit of a downer though. Already worried about Roma dropping down? I dread to think how you felt between say 1987-1997? Must have been absolutely horrendous for you when compared to this? The football was worse and we were mostly crap. Scott Oakes scored a hat trick against us FFS.
lol i didnt say you did, nothing worries me about football. I only said that in my opinion we did not have a good second half thats all.

If I want to say I enjoyed the football in the 70's and 80's I will lol nothing to do with you.
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:12 am My god, that pitch....(Maine Road)
Have a look at the one we played Eintract on at home in 76 it was awful
Last edited by ginghamdress on Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1599 likes
Total likes: 1655 likes

Post by I am Legend »

stu1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:19 pm Paqueta has had one good game against Fulham and been pretty pony otherwise from an attacking sense.

Let’s not pretend he’s been some sort of creative genius when he’s played. He’s been a poor as the others.
He has been more creative than any player we've had since Lingard. Just go watch Scamacca's last 4-5 games. Most his goals and chances on the ground come from Paqueta through balls, chips over the defence.

Scamacca has had barely a sniff of a chance with ball to feet, facing goal, since Paqueta got injured.

No one called him a creative genius in his games for us, but he has been 100% better creatively than anyone else. Without him we have ONE tactic. Play down the wing, cross it. Rinse and repeat for 90 mins. Unfortunately, Cresswell has to take a 2nd or 3rd touch to cross, Coufal has to pass it back or over hit it. There is a reason we have been devoid of ideas and creativity since Lucas got injured.

There is a reason they are Brazil's number 8 and Italy's number 9. Because they are better than most other players.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3195 likes

Post by WCpete »

'75 qtr final at Arsenal. Was at that one. There's video of it out there. Pitch played a big part in that one.
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

WCpete wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:24 am '75 qtr final at Arsenal. Was at that one. There's video of it out there. Pitch played a big part in that one.
Ahhhhh the memories 2-0 Alan Taylor
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3026 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A difficult watch this evening with too many of our lads being off the pace in terms of sharpness, but thats the price you pay for a bigger squad and heavier rotation.

Nice to see Agured get a solid 75 minutes under his belt.I liked the look of him albeit against poor opposition.

We did what we had to do, won the group, kept another clean sheet, suffered no new injuries and gave a few fringe players a run out.

Took my 2 nieces this evening, they enjoyed their night out, and on that basis I'm happy.

Sunday will be a tougher task.
ginghamdress

Post by ginghamdress »

A nice summing up
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Another home win, and top of the group. However, we are a tough watch at the moment. That second half was turgid.
The Straw
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 1425 likes

Post by The Straw »

ginghamdress wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:18 am lol i didnt say you did, nothing worries me about football. I only said that in my opinion we did not have a good second half thats all.

If I want to say I enjoyed the football in the 70's and 80's I will lol nothing to do with you.
That's fair enough actually. Fair play. My apologies to you.

Just does my head in everyone constantly moaning. Not just on here. Not just twitter. Just everyone moaning about everything all of the time 😂

Going to watch West Ham in Europe here and abroad has been a privelege for me. I've seen 30 seasons of us being absolute no hopers in the league. Very rarely are we in Europe. It might be another 20 years before we're back playing in proper European competition. That's why I'm going to all the amazing away days. I worry that people will never be happy.

I actually reckon if we win the thing and finish 11th then there will be some pissed off fans because we didn't attack enough.