⚽ UCL: West Ham Utd 1-0 Silkeborg IF (27/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Silkeborg IF: match thread

Post by Takeiteasy »

stu1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:39 pm Let’s be honest his assist against Anderlecht was incredibly simple, Scamacca just took it very well.
Can’t agree with that at all mate
stu1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:39 pm Fulham he was excellent, other games he’s been rather meh.
I thought he had a really good game against Southampton, created a lot of chances that we didn’t take
stu1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:39 pm My original response was in reaction to a poster effectively saying we are absolutely dog **** without Paqueta and we can’t rely on Paqueta to create every chance. So maybe not quite a Ballon D’or nominee, but nonsense nevertheless.
Yes that’s fair enough Stu, I think our attacking play will improve once he’s back in the team, it’s a shame his start with us has been stop start because of that injury and the upcoming world cup
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

ginghamdress wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:27 pm On that note I'm going to bed
Narrator: “He did not go to bed.”
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

billtho wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:02 am We played 6 out of ten against a 3 out of ten team.Wasnt great to the eye but we will play much better than that when we need to.Positives were Areola...Loved it when Aguerd was telling Oggy where to position himself( wish Oggy was 5 years younger as that would be some pairing).Johnson had a better game than on Monday. Lanzani will never be as he was but he gave a decent account of himself tonight as did Coventry.Coufal was better than he has been and Benny still gets you out of your seat.Fornals and Antonio were nothing better than tripe.I recall someone on here saying that he would hate to have a diver in our team...we've got a diver who can't even f.....g dive properly.so yes I can see why people are a bit upset about the display tonight but not all negatives.
Fornals had one bad miss early in the second half around m50 but played fine overall including a beautiful crossfield pass to Benny around m62 for another wasteful Benny finish. Benny did good approach work but his shooting never tested the keeper.
My concern is that their keeper had so little to do aside from the penalty. Ant and Scamacca didn't do much to threaten their goal,nor. the supporting cast.
Last edited by Ilford Paolo on Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

3 games in 6 days demands a pragmatic approach. We’ve won the first 2 without conceding, moved into the top half of the PL and last 16 of the Europa avoiding a play off double header in Feb. That’s been achieved with several senior players missing, or rested, it’s also allowed Downes the opportunity to confirm he’s a genuine first team competitor and given Aguerd a comfortable first run out after his injury.
Sunday at Old Trafford will require us going up a couple of gears, and I hope Moyes approaches that game in a positive way, can we have the Liverpool second half for 90 minutes please? But perhaps a few on here need to recognise the last 2 games have given us a platform to head north with a largely unstressed team who’ve cruised through the last 2 games, and frankly that’s exactly what the better teams do.
Ideally Bowen, Paqueta, Dawson & Cornet are fit on Sunday, if they are we are capable of getting something up there, the Paqueta / Scamacca duo is key, some clever interplay rather than the predictable hopeful crosses.
The club is evolving, slowly perhaps but surely. Would you rather have some erratic results, scattered wins and losses, sometimes exciting sometimes not, or steady progress towards regular European competition. We need to take a few more of the chances we are creating, and get a settled back line, apart from that it’s a results business and the last few weeks indicate we are getting back on track.
Mod Life Crisis
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by Mod Life Crisis »

costa75 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:20 am Another home win, and top of the group. However, we are a tough watch at the moment. That second half was turgid.
I agree that both wins this week have not been easy on the eye and I have left the stadium underwhelmed both times. This is mainly due to my attitude of wanting to be entertained overriding my need to see us win.

If I look at recent matches dispassionately (i.e. as an outsider might see things), the following stand out:

We have won 8 of the last 11 games.

We have won our last 6 home games. I read on here today that this is the first time this century (or put it another way, the first time this has happened in my Daughter’s 22 year lifetime).

We are one of only 4 clubs in European competition with a 100% record after 5 games (actually 7 in our case). We sit alongside Bayern Munich, Napoli and Real Sociedad here - not the shabbiest of company. That is 4 clubs out of 96.

I left Anfield last week for the second time this calendar year frustrated that we had not got at least a point. Most of the other visits in the first 30 years of travelling there pre-2016 saw me eyeing the exit gates long before the final whistle.

All of this without things really clicking together on the pitch. Having watch Aguerd knock the ball about last night and already knowing what Paqueta and Scammaca can to together, allied with the #41 showing the occasional decent touch, and with Bowen yet to hit anywhere near the heights he is capable of, I feel that the entertainment I crave is just around the corner.

Memo to self - stop being so negative. It was far less fun leaving Millmoor after a 1-0 defeat than anything I am watching now. (And memo to anyone wanting Moyes out, without any viable alternative replacement to suggest - “Really? Based on what?”).
Last edited by Mod Life Crisis on Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

norse wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:34 am Moyes' old club Real Sociedad is the only other club in European competitions with a 5-0-0 record, topping their Europa League group ahead of Manchester United.
And Napoli and Bayern Munich
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

I missed this game. Had to work late, then went to the pub. They were showing the Man Utd game, and the bar wench advised that they could only show one game at a time. She seemed perplexed when I questioned why the f*** that game is Man Utd and not the most massive team in London. Presumably for all of the tourists.

Anyway, from what I can see from the highlights and match reports, we made 8 changes effectively resting our "first XI", dominated and controlled the game, created several good chances, scored a penalty (which as we all know is no mean feat), restricted them to a couple of speculative long range efforts, and got the win we needed to guarantee topping the group.

Job well done as far as I am concerned.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Probably the first time this season that none of our defenders has come in for a slating, they could have been playing in slippers.

Silkeborg played as though they just wanted to keep the scoreline respectable, possibly influenced by the earlier result, and knowing that Anderlecht have to play them on the plastic next week.

It's folly to read across to the PL - even the Forest's and Bournemouth's will be significantly more combative and high-tempo. It almost felt like a non-contact game which just does not happen. The only physical contest on the pitch was Coufal and the guy on their left - everyone else was playing like it was a friendly.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

A total borefest last night imo. Made worse by having to listen to bloody Joe Cole's "expert views" on the proceedings. I made Areola MOTM for the one piece of top quality action , his save in the second half when he turned a shot over the bar, in the entire match. I know you can obly beat the team that's put in front of you, but there's beating and there's winning well when you meet inferior opposition. For me too many players, particularly Antonio who looked as if he had a giant sized strop on, were just going through the motions.

There were one or two pluses. Aguerd came through his first competitive action OK, Coventry looked neat and tidy, and looked as if he was breaking sweat, unlike some. Shame he wasn't able to take the chance he had. Can't see him overtaking the likes of Soucek and Downes for regular squad involvement though. But he's good enough to make a decent living as a pro slightly lower down the leagues. Another Josh Cullen or Reece Burke possibly.

Poor game but job done and it will be very interesting to see the line up in Bucharest next week.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Kermit wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:48 am A total borefest last night imo. Made worse by having to listen to bloody Joe Cole's "expert views" on the proceedings. I made Areola MOTM for the one piece of top quality action , his save in the second half when he turned a shot over the bar, in the entire match. I know you can obly beat the team that's put in front of you, but there's beating and there's winning well when you meet inferior opposition. For me too many players, particularly Antonio who looked as if he had a giant sized strop on, were just going through the motions.

There were one or two pluses. Aguerd came through his first competitive action OK, Coventry looked neat and tidy, and looked as if he was breaking sweat, unlike some. Shame he wasn't able to take the chance he had. Can't see him overtaking the likes of Soucek and Downes for regular squad involvement though. But he's good enough to make a decent living as a pro slightly lower down the leagues. Another Josh Cullen or Reece Burke possibly.

Poor game but job done and it will be very interesting to see the line up in Bucharest next week.
If you think last nights game was boring, I fear next week's team selection won't be getting you overexcited either!
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

boleyn boy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:18 am I dont understand what all the arguing is on here about last nights game. It was a terrible game to watch. Full stop, but we had to win to come top of group... which meant not playing again seriously in this competition again till March 23. WE DONE EXACTLY THAT.

Moyes is looking at the domestic leauge and rightly so, because he dosent need to wory now till February about any european games. Next week he can play the under23 if he wants too.
It was a sh.t game to watch for us fans but the team were professional. They did what they needed to do and with no injuries a job well done. :hamm: Bring on the Mancs
:newthumb:

Job done as you say, Moyes clearly had Sunday in his mind.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:52 pm How many games does it take for 'failing to convert chances' to become a problem that needs taking seriously?
I think we're already there on that one. I'd assume Moyes is prioritising it during training. Must admit I'm baffled as to why we haven't improved, though I agree with him it's partly about lack of quality in the final third.
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

Ilford Paolo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:57 am Fornals had one bad miss early in the second half around m50 but played fine overall including a beautiful crossfield pass to Benny around m62....
Sounds a bit wayward to me - though I guess he did well to get it over the Pennines.

I'll get me coat...
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Spotted several Silkeborg fans wearing West Ham scarves in the away end on the telly last night; probably souvenirs, but maybe there are some converts there too :thup:
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

Didn't see the game, just watched the highlights. I know they're called 'highlights' for a reason, but we looked good. I thought Areola looked really impressive - that shot he tipped over the bar was similar to the one that beat Fabianski a few weeks ago. Areola always looks as though he has plenty of time.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

norse wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:52 am Spotted several Silkeborg fans wearing West Ham scarves in the away end on the telly last night; probably souvenirs, but maybe there are some converts there too :thup:
Could have been the half and half scarfs with the west ham side showing.
I'd love to know what happens with the scarfs they don't sell as they are personalised for specific games.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Job jobbed.
Not an exciting game, the opposition didn't want to concede to many so sat deep the entire game, but an ultra professional if frustrating game.
I can't see any big takeaway's other than Benrahma and Fornals missed some pretty meat and potatoes chances to work the keeper, it doesn't matter v this level of opposition in terms of the result, we could have gone off the pitch and they would still have played it around in their own half for fear of conceding, but on Sunday we will need to be much more clinical in our shooting or we wont get a thing.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Quite a few positives from game despite not being a great watch in all honesty..

Ageurd looks very classy,great vision,great to see him back.

Nice seeing Coventry get some gametime,well deserved,and that he(Moyes) trusted him and Downes,when we were only a goal up,means
a lot for a player confidence wise.

Emerson is starting to win me over,works hard up and down,joins in with attack well.

Areola made some cracking saves.

Good that Moyes does seem open to having Micky and Scamacca on pitch together.

Nice seeing Oggy Play,seemed really proud to be Captain,had a good game as well.

Everyone played OK...But we do have to take it up a Notch...That game could have easily slipped into a draw,and to be honest a silly
defeat...I said,I doubt thats a penalty..50/50 call I reckon,with Var...Areola misses one of those saves...the conversation here is
completely different,despite the game being moreorless the same.We just can't seem to stamp our authority on games against
sides that just aren't as good as us..we always give them a sniff of getting something out of it.

Was a bit worried as game nearing end,Just couldn't see us losing,was expecting an easy 3-0er...So had a good bet at 1.6 straight win
Determined not to cash out.... :lol:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I thought we played well but just could not finish the chances we created. Watched the highlights back after the game and must of counted about 6 or 7 clear chances that we really should be putting away. Fornals, Coventry, Benrahma, Antonio all should of scored. The team Moyes put out was a mix of fringe and youth players though, plus a debut for Aguerd after a freak injury, and I thought he was brilliant.

Yes it was a bit boring but hark back to Dinamo Zagreb at home in the group stages in the Europa League last season and it was a similar scenario of fielding a weakened team, only last night we needed a point to finish top of the group, which we got, so job done and tbh I’m not too bothered about missing the game as feel a bit better today rather than I would after the schlep over to Stratford last night with a heavy cold.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

The post match analysis by some in thread makes me wonder how some of you are ever pleased unless we decimate teams

Who cares if we're boring playing when playing a second string and still win? We needed a draw and we have a cluster f*** schedule to navigate we can't go out every week and play good football, spoiler alert we haven't done that in decades.

A win which also frees up the last game to be played by the u23s. No new Injuries. Aguerd back and impressing. Should have a near fully fit squad going into the weekend.

All positives.