⚽ UCL: West Ham Utd 1-0 Silkeborg IF (27/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Silkeborg IF: match thread

Post by norse »

Noble's Claret Army
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Noble's Claret Army »

100% record in Europe playing in second gear. ✅

Kumb half full of people moaning about the style of our second string cementing the group win. ✅

I think people need to remember where we were a few seasons ago. We are becoming a club who belongs in European football and takes it in it's stride. If you'd said that to me even 2 years ago I'd of thought no chance.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I think we've all come to the conclusion that last night's game wasn't exactly the most exciting spectacle (bordering on a bit of a damp squib if I'm being honest), but everything that needed to be achieved, was.

That game was won without getting out of first gear; a nice luxury even if it wasn't pleasing on the eye. Lovely to see Aguerd have a first decent run out. With him back, the defence will start to look and feel more reassuring. Apart from him and Areola's save in the second half, I wouldn't say anyone shone, but in all honesty, did they need to?

The only thing I hope we don't do (and this isn't a dig to posters who have suggested otherwise), is fill the starting line up for next weeks game with the youth team. By all means give a few of them a run out over the course of the game, but let's try and go through 6 out of 6.

I must just say that myself and Eggs Jnr.1 were at the game last night thanks to bender. It was him who offered me two tickets for The Wolves game before the major lockdown a couple of years ago; a kind gesture when Eggs Jnr.2 was diagnosed with cancer. Eggs Jnr.2 couldn't make it as he now has a full time job "Oop North", so his Brother jumped in.

Once again, cheers mate, it was much appreciated.
Last edited by Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Some thoughts from me (not all football related) from last night -
Upgraded to the Londoner Blue lounge from normal ST seat for just £50 all in. and was entertained by the 1500 Danish supporters all night. (Think away supporters has been a real highlight of our European campaigns at the bowl)Seemed like a good bunch, predominatly singing English songs in English which was a bit strange but seemed to enjoy their day out.
Areola in three shades grey under the lights was very eye catching.
Nathan looks to be the real deal, 100% star in the making and future captain material.
Benny is a slippery customer but a **** finisher
We recorderded the highest % of sucessful throw ins Ive ever witnessed (tells you all you need to know about our opponents performance)
Oggy being given the captains armband clearly made his day never stopped smiling
Our speed of transition and through balls is our achilles heel -still. Its infuriating.
Interestingly in the past two seasons our "whole has always been greater than the sum of its parts" indeed its been fundamental to our recent success, this season however it seems "our parts are greater than our whole" (Ooh matron) if you will.
In summary as a spectacle it wasnt great -but did a job. (Bit like the pie and mash in the Londoner lounge).
Onwards and upwards, Sunday might just be the day when it all falls into place... :fxd:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Mullhull wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:02 pm The post match analysis by some in thread makes me wonder how some of you are ever pleased unless we decimate teams

Who cares if we're boring playing when playing a second string and still win?
People who pay money to watch football. People who wait all week to be entertained after working hard.

You can be happy with a win and some of the game, but still be allowed to complain about how poor the final 3rd passing, finishing is....which it is too often now. Its a clear problem and people will discuss the problem. Just like people discuss how great Rice is, or how happy they are Aguerd is back.

IF people only post positive things....well f*** this forum would only have 1 page of posts in the last 30 years.

And they'd all be Summer/Winter Transfer Threads :winker:
ginghamdress
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

Takeiteasy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 am Narrator: “He did not go to bed.”
Damn, I didn't think anyone would notice
ginghamdress
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by ginghamdress »

The hayfield wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:55 am You can smell the utter desperation of some posters on here for the likes of Roma to drop into the conference in order to stop us winning it . :rofl: :crest: .
I think it was me that mentioned it, no desperation here, I think we are more than capable of beating anyone that plays in this competition
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

No goals conceded, no injuries (I'm aware of) and no need for our top players to fly to Bucharest. I'm well happy with that !
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

It's funny really. If Fornals shot or Benrahma's header go a couple of inches the other side of the post, or if Antonio's early cut back and shot is a few inches higher and beats the keeper's trailing leg, or if Benrahma's drive inside the area flicks off the defenders heel into the net instead of just wide, or if Coventry's lovely bit of control and shot nestles in the top corner instead of just wide....then everyone would be happy. Basically the same performance but change a couple of the smallest margins.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Noble's Claret Army wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:33 pm 100% record in Europe playing in second gear. ✅

Kumb half full of people moaning about the style of our second string cementing the group win. ✅

I think people need to remember where we were a few seasons ago. We are becoming a club who belongs in European football and takes it in it's stride. If you'd said that to me even 2 years ago I'd of thought no chance.
whilst i agree fully with sentiment...winning our group with maximum points when spurs couldn't even make it to the next phase is a great achievement...yes we are doing what we have to in Europe. BUT..there is the very real possibility that your other sentence 'we are becoming a club that belongs in Europe' wont happen due to league form being so patchy. I think this is what has people a little jittery. In fairness..this place has been a bag of nerves right thru the pre-season and transfer windows. I've seen more arguing and quite frankly people being rude to each other in this last 4 months than i have in all the years I've been lurking on here. Maybe its because we have something exciting to lose now.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Korea Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:42 pm It's funny really. If Fornals shot or Benrahma's header go a couple of inches the other side of the post, or if Antonio's early cut back and shot is a few inches higher and beats the keeper's trailing leg, or if Benrahma's drive inside the area flicks off the defenders heel into the net instead of just wide, or if Coventry's lovely bit of control and shot nestles in the top corner instead of just wide....then everyone would be happy. Basically the same performance but change a couple of the smallest margins.
Yes. Scoring goals...

If we don't score, people sad.

If we do score, people happy.

If we play well AND score more goals, people extra happy and complain less.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Korea Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:42 pm It's funny really. If Fornals shot or Benrahma's header go a couple of inches the other side of the post, or if Antonio's early cut back and shot is a few inches higher and beats the keeper's trailing leg, or if Benrahma's drive inside the area flicks off the defenders heel into the net instead of just wide, or if Coventry's lovely bit of control and shot nestles in the top corner instead of just wide....then everyone would be happy. Basically the same performance but change a couple of the smallest margins.
That's the difference between good and great teams though I suppose.

I wasn't bothered by the wastefulness yesterday to be honest. The remit for the game was clear and we were never in jeopardy of not finishing 1st. Most of the team was 2nd and 3rd string too anyway.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

For sure. Had we won 3-0 last night I doubt many on here would say the scoreline flattered us.

The problem is it’s not the first time this season we’ve been discussing ‘fine margins’ with regards to chances missed. Quite frankly I’ve lost count how many games it’s been mentioned after a game.

On the whole our ‘forwards’ have done okay. Scamacca, Antonio and even Bowen recently have contributed to goals. 17 in all competitions to be precise. Our attacking midfielders are the ones who really need to up their game.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

I am Legend wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:16 pm People who pay money to watch football. People who wait all week to be entertained after working hard.

You can be happy with a win and some of the game, but still be allowed to complain about how poor the final 3rd passing, finishing is....which it is too often now. Its a clear problem and people will discuss the problem. Just like people discuss how great Rice is, or how happy they are Aguerd is back.

IF people only post positive things....well **** this forum would only have 1 page of posts in the last 30 years.

And they'd all be Summer/Winter Transfer Threads :winker:
Watched West Ham fan TV yesterday and the Astra GooGoo guy was on it and he loves a moan. He said even though he knows it's going to be ***** he's off to Romania to see the game. I can appreciate that.

Yesterday was obvious that Moyes was going to play a second string. Yet, people are complaining we were boring, when it was obvious. It's almost got to the point they're focusing on the fact we were and not the fact we've just sailed into another European last 16 in two years.

But I agree you can be happy about a win and critical of missed chances, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about people who are never happy mate. There is a very big difference.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Mullhull wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:34 pm Watched West Ham fan TV yesterday and the Astra GooGoo guy was on it and he loves a moan. He said even though he knows it's going to be ***** he's off to Romania to see the game. I can appreciate that.

Yesterday was obvious that Moyes was going to play a second string. Yet, people are complaining we were boring, when it was obvious. It's almost got to the point they're focusing on the fact we were and not the fact we've just sailed into another European last 16 in two years.

But I agree you can be happy about a win and critical of missed chances, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about people who are never happy mate. There is a very big difference.
Not seen the game, so no idea if it was boring or not, but playing a 2nd eleven doesn't necessarily mean it would be boring (if it was)

In fact, you could argue playing a 2nd eleven should liven things up a bit and give people opportunity to see players they don't usually see. I used to love it in the old days when we had a league cup 2nd round game and we played 3 or 4 youngsters (some who were neve seen again - the ginger CB who played at home to Wimbledon once springs to mind)
StokeIrons
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

We were clearly the better side last night and even though we lacked a cutting edge, we moved the ball around more comfortably than we often do.
If Fornals had put the best chance of the night away then I think that it could've led to more. Most of the first half was played in their final third which is unusual for us and it was job done in the end with a lot of the side having different faces alongside them.
Aguerd was class and was a real positive for the rest of the campaign. Being able to progress with a second string side in part was a good sign.

The Silkeborg fans seemed to enjoy themselves and are obviously anglophiles with their choice of chants :crylol:

Nearly died at the cost for a pint of bitter for me and a pint of Guinness for the youngest in The Morgan Arms. Headed straight to The Little Driver to recuperate. After some London Pride for me and Guinness for young 'un, bumped into a couple of good lads from Ealing in The Bow Bells who I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing in a long while

Good day out :thup:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:41 pm Not seen the game, so no idea if it was boring or not, but playing a 2nd eleven doesn't necessarily mean it would be boring (if it was)

In fact, you could argue playing a 2nd eleven should liven things up a bit and give people opportunity to see players they don't usually see. I used to love it in the old days when we had a league cup 2nd round game and we played 3 or 4 youngsters (some who were neve seen again - the ginger CB who played at home to Wimbledon once springs to mind)
Didn't he get sent off? Callum McSomething, ended up playing for Wimbledon.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

from my viewpoint, admittedly about 4K miles away, I was hoping that we'd score a hat full.

not so much from the spectacle but that it might mean that some of the blokes who are struggling to find the net, might find a bit of form in front of the goal and go on a tear.

no a question of pissing and moaning for the sake of it. Antonio gets a couple or maybe 3.

Fornals puts that one away.

Scamacca comes on with a 4 goal lead the crowd going mad and smacks in one or two.

it "could" kick start the season. now of course, it might not, but there's always then, having smacked some halfway decent Fizzy Pop team about, that's there's a spring in everyone's step.

just my tenpenn'orth.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Ethanadict wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:55 pm Strange to not feel elated when finishing as the only team on maximum points in the competition, and qualified top with a game to spare. But that’s how I feel. When did I become such a diva?
Welcome to the London mindset :shocker: