⚽ Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Agree completely that it's possible to see how close we are to being really good - we really are waiting on someone to start putting the ball away.

A few things from the final match maps;

1. The player position maps show our defensive line was much higher than theirs, which pretty much shows that we didn't sit deep;
2. The midfield section with Downes and Rice almost shows them sat on each others lap positionally;
3. The majority of our attacks/play came down the right which is pretty much contrary to everything we usually do.

As much as I have reservations about Kehrer's defending, I like what I see with his passing, and I thought he showed some really good attacking intent at times. He attacked at pace.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:45 am Personally, aside from RIce, I think Benny has been the most exciting player for much of this season and had another decent game Sunday
Exciting is the right word. Some sublime control and skill. The problem remains though that he doesn't influence the game enough. He was meant to be our main creator out there and again he failed the audition.

As I posted above, not all his fault as Moyes was asking a lot of him but when he had the ball in good positions then he made the wrong call a number of times.

But he isn't alone in that one and was at least getting in those positions and often from his own work.

Paqueta really needs to be the real deal or I fear we'll be having the same debates all season!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It's just the end product with Benrahma on a consistent basis, everything else is spot on for me. In general play he's been fantastic this season and even worked harder defensively than normal.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:41 am It's just the end product with Benrahma on a consistent basis, everything else is spot on for me. In general play he's been fantastic this season and even worked harder defensively than normal.
I don't agree.

He is the most wasteful player in our line up. He's not as bad as he was, but I'd go no further than that.

At least now he does try to find a team mate with a pass which is an improvement, but realistically he's a Championship level player.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:21 pm I don't agree.

He is the most wasteful player in our line up. He's not as bad as he was, but I'd go no further than that.

At least now he does try to find a team mate with a pass which is an improvement, but realistically he's a Championship level player.
yet hes still been our best player this season
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Mr_incredible wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:24 pm yet hes still been our best player this season
I'm sorry, it's all about opinions and all that, but that's cobblers.

Rice and Zouma have both been better than him IMO. Cresswell too.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:30 pm I'm sorry, it's all about opinions and all that, but that's cobblers.

Rice and Zouma have both been better than him IMO. Cresswell too.
your right opinions...and I dont rate yours either.....up until recently rice hadnt had a game he was over 6 out of 10, Same with Zouma who started season well then has hobbled his way round for 2 months.....its almost like you only started watching us for the last 2 games...In my opinion of course.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Looking quite decent up until the business end of the pitch and then lacking in quality and/or composure...

Could be talking about Benrahma could be talking about the entire team...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I think we were actually in full agreement, hence why I criticised his end product first off. His passing as an attacking winger/attacking midfielder is in the 86%.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:18 pm I think we were actually in full agreement, hence why I criticised his end product first off. His passing as an attacking winger/attacking midfielder is in the 86%.
But wasteful isn’t just about misplaced passes; it is making the wrong decision as well. We had a couple of counters against Man Utd where I was screaming at him to play it early and release Bowen. One of them he carried it a few more steps and got tackled, the other was one of the blocked shots.

He is brilliant at creating space for himself, but then inevitably makes the wrong decision as to what to do with that space. I wouldn’t say championship, but he wouldn’t start for any other top seven team.

Oh and he completely bottled it when De Gea came running out of his box (assume this has been done to death already) :crylol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Benrahma is one of the last people I would be criticising on the basis of his performance in the last match.
Colours never run

Hence why I said twice his end product isn't good enough, I'm in full agreement. I just made the point that as well as making a high percentage of passing, his general play has been decent. It is literally that final 3rd part he tends to struggle in, although he has also been quite unlucky not to have scored more this season.
Colours never run

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:37 pm Benrahma is one of the last people I would be criticising on the basis of his performance in the last match.
I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but wondered how many chances/efforts at goal he did against Man Utd?
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Third most successful (86.1%) passer of the ball after Rice (90.5%) and Kehrer (87.7%).

Third for key passes per game.

Joint second for assists.

Third for shots per game.

First for dribbles per game.

Fifth for number of times dispossessed per game (after Paqueta, Bowen, Scamacca, Antonio).
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:41 pm Hence why I said twice his end product isn't good enough, I'm in full agreement. I just made the point that as well as making a high percentage of passing, his general play has been decent. It is literally that final 3rd part he tends to struggle in, although he has also been quite unlucky not to have scored more this season.
I’m pretty sure one of the reasons he is getting more opportunities is he is beginning to go for it a bit more. He takes a lot of high risk shots, but the potential rewards are high. I think it was more the type of risks he was taking that annoyed the manager more than just taking risks. The downside to a shot flying over the bar are much less than losing the ball in a dangerous are.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:43 pm I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but wondered how many chances/efforts at goal he did against Man Utd?
Three shots.

For comparison, Bowen had one, Scamacca had two, Antonio had one.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:43 pm I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but wondered how many chances/efforts at goal he did against Man Utd?
Off the top of my head… quite a few :lol:
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:41 pm Hence why I said twice his end product isn't good enough, I'm in full agreement. I just made the point that as well as making a high percentage of passing, his general play has been decent. It is literally that final 3rd part he tends to struggle in, although he has also been quite unlucky not to have scored more this season.
He reminds me a of a budget Raheem Sterling in many ways. And people seem to have the same frustrations with both players. He's just that type of player - risk/reward skewed firmly towards risk.
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

wildkard wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:51 pm He reminds me a of a budget Raheem Sterling in many ways. And people seem to have the same frustrations with both players. He's just that type of player - risk/reward skewed firmly towards risk.
Well he's short so there is that. :crylol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

wildkard wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm Third most successful (86.1%) passer of the ball after Rice (90.5%) and Kehrer (87.7%).

Third for key passes per game.

Joint second for assists.

Third for shots per game.

First for dribbles per game.

Fifth for number of times dispossessed per game (after Paqueta, Bowen, Scamacca, Antonio).
How many PL goals this season ?

How many PL assists this season ?

There's no end product worth a candle.