⚽ Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:27 pm Hmm, I was kind of meaning both tackled and needless turnovers of possession.
Yup and Bowen, Paqueta, Scamacca and Antonio are more guilty of that than him.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:39 pm The flipside isn’t true though in his case.

The common perception is that he’s wasteful in possession, gives the ball away/gets caught in possession a lot and constantly makes bad decisions.

The bare numbers tell a different story…and that’s before you factor in that he probably takes more risks on the ball than anyone else in the entire squad.

Thankfully the manager seems to be coming round.
Of course, but there has also been a notable change in what he has been doing in recent matches, assumingely down to what they have been working on on the training field.

The body language between Benrahma and Moyes seens pretty warm now. I am assuming they have been working together to improve his game and make it translate better to the higher level he now founds himself playing at. Ironically, their touch line bust-up may have actually been beneficial in their relationship.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:37 pm This is a good, albeit brief read.
A really good read. As he says, that same system but with Paqueta could work really well. Downes just isn't *that* kind of passer, but you cannot doubt his work ethic.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:45 pm Good post. 👍🏻

That last stat in particular really shows up a number of popular opinions for what they really are.

People see what they want to see….
Benrahma's loss of possession isn't a problem. It's his use of it.

That being said, easy starter for us at the moment and all told, one of our better players this season so far. Signs that he is growing in confidence and playing with a bit of freedom and expression.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3013 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:39 pm Thankfully the manager seems to be coming round.
He isn't.

I can assure you of that.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:39 pm The flipside isn’t true though in his case.
Well, it is. Take Rice's goal against Southampton. You would've thought Benrahma had put it on a plate for Rice, that Benrahma's 5-yard pass was a display of true brilliance, such were some of the posts on here.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1943 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:21 pm I don't agree.

He is the most wasteful player in our line up. He's not as bad as he was, but I'd go no further than that.

At least now he does try to find a team mate with a pass which is an improvement, but realistically he's a Championship level player.
Tbf Pink,his been our most creative threat this season,even though,you are right,his finishing has been appalling.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He actually weren't all that bad last season with regards to an end product. He did manage to score 8 Goals and 6 Assists in the League and 3 Goals in Europe. So his end product last season was a lot better, although this tike around it's his general play that's improved like working harder and the end product has suffered. If only we could marry the pair together of work rate and end product, we'd have a hell of a complete attacking player on our hands. But with Benrahma, it seems to he either 1 or the other for now.

He's a handy player to have in the squad, he just struggles to cement a first team place for much of what I've just mentioned.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 287 likes
Total likes: 391 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:37 pm This is a good, albeit brief read.

That makes a lot of sense. Replace Downes with Paqueta and you can start to see a plan coming together.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:03 pm He isn't.

I can assure you of that.
Well he’s playing him at the moment…..but if you’re suggesting that in the bigger picture, the manager would get rid if someone found the right money I’m sure you’re probably right. :newthumb:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3013 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Moley, I think the manager is being a bit cuter this season.

We spent a lot of money in the summer and he's making sure he rotates his players giving them all minutes. It makes it easier when he asks for more money if nothing else. The simple argument Chairmen tend to put up is "you aren't using the players you already made me buy".

It also keeps players fresh in a difficult season.

Benny has 3 full years left on his deal, personally I feel that when everyone is fit he's on the bench at best, which probably reflects his wages - he won't be a top earner having joined us from Brentford. He's cheap to keep.The issue is we overpaid, massively, for his services, and he would therefore be expensive to get shot of.

Assuming Vlasic joins Turin in January, I would expect Benny to move summer 24.

But I very much doubt he will ever be a preferred option for Moyes.

Where you are spot on is in pointing out he isn't the only player profligate in possession, quite a few others are also in the bad boy camp. I would think the manager has every right to demand better performances from Scamacca, Paqueta and Cornet. Cornet missed absolute sitters against Chelsea and Viborg for example.Scamacca was a statue for most of his time at OT. Paqueta reguarly gets robbed of possession.

It's an incredibly demanding league, the slightest failure in technique or decision making is cruelly exposed.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Suspect Paqueta just needs to adjust to PL pace, he won’t get the time he had in France, but as a comparison I know a Newcastle fan who says they were initially underwhelmed by Bruno Guimares, obviously had ability but the game seemed to fast for him….. for about 10 games, now he’s adapted they think he’s world class. As for Scamacca he has to adapt a bit to PL football too, but, and it’s a big but, if we play him as an isolated Antonio style striker we’ve wasted £35m, his ability is about linking play, moving the ball at pace and finishing chances, he is not and never will be a chase the hoof over the top merchant. Given a bit of freedom Scamacca and Paqueta will cause havoc, but their game is not all about physicality and tracking back, that doesn’t mean they can’t handle themselves, but it’s right time right place as needed. For me Cornet is a bit like Benrahma, if you use that sort of player they will lose the ball sometimes because they take chances to make things happen, for all Bennys alleged faults the stats prove he’s a big contributor, and actually this season I’d say he’s learned not to take chances in the wrong place. All four of them are top quality used properly, I think post Qatar we’ll see them better integrated with the rest of the team and results will improve accordingly.
Odessa
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

This is more a question for Utj. Why do we only have the opposition view when we win?

There must be a good reason.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:21 pm I don't agree.

He is the most wasteful player in our line up. He's not as bad as he was, but I'd go no further than that.

At least now he does try to find a team mate with a pass which is an improvement, but realistically he's a Championship level player.
Ah yes, a Championship player who was 25th or something in the Premier League last season for combined goals and assists, despite playing fewer mins than most ahead of him.

Barcelona paid £55m for another Championship player with the same number incidentally.
fleetyfoot
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by fleetyfoot »

In all fairness to Benrahma at least some of his apparent profligacy is due to other teammates not always giving him good options.

An example from this match: at 22:54 Dawson breaks up a Man U attack, and Scamacca knocks it on to Benrahma who sprints off down the left with three opposing players on his trail. Meanwhile our number 10 for the day stands around watching for about three seconds before following them. So poor Benrahma finds himself down at the goal end with no one to pass to and two defenders on him.

Off ball movement is a problem in general - players not moving into open positions to receive the ball. If you watch part of the match again looking for this it happens all the time - it's one of the main things slowing down our attacks. In our case the problem is further compounded by putting so many men back for so much of the game.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

fleetyfoot wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:32 pm In all fairness to Benrahma at least some of his apparent profligacy is due to other teammates not always giving him good options.
Think that is a fair point. We don't look to break the lines with runs that often which does back our creative players into a corner at times (sometimes literally into the corner).

Quite ironic as we are also piss poor at defending against teams who do play that way!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:48 pm Suspect Paqueta just needs to adjust to PL pace,
Interesting, it looks to me both he and Scamacca thus far play like they have more time than is actually the case. Onec they learn not to dwell so long on the ball they'll be fine.