⚽ Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Mr_incredible »

if youre gonna go through all the stats for ALL our players defending, passing scoring etc I think the conclusion that you are gonna to come to, is that it hasnt been good enough anywhere across the board, hence why we are currently in a relegation battle...and there are players that have played a lot more and considerably worse than Benni in being responsible for that.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Mr_incredible wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:15 pm if youre gonna go through all the stats for ALL our players defending, passing scoring etc I think the conclusion that you are gonna to come to, is that it hasnt been good enough anywhere across the board, hence why we are currently in a relegation battle...and there are players that have played a lot more and considerably worse than Benni in being responsible for that.
If it is the case that we are not good enough across the board then surely you need to start looking at the manager?
We definitely have the players to compete in this league but maybe it is the way we are set up, emphasis, tactics etc that are wrong?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

wildkard wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:51 pm He reminds me a of a budget Raheem Sterling in many ways. And people seem to have the same frustrations with both players. He's just that type of player - risk/reward skewed firmly towards risk.
Never saw that one coming! Sterling for me is all about pace, something I don't think Benny is especially blessed with. I would actually think Benrahma is more skillful but he lacks physically. But he seems to be getting better and better this season so I am hopeful he can become more productive and nail down a starting place. Competition is good, it seems.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Mr_incredible wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:15 pm if youre gonna go through all the stats for ALL our players defending, passing scoring etc I think the conclusion that you are gonna to come to, is that it hasnt been good enough anywhere across the board, hence why we are currently in a relegation battle...and there are players that have played a lot more and considerably worse than Benni in being responsible for that.
If we are in a relegation battle I am Michael Barrymore's uncle.
Mr_incredible

Post by Mr_incredible »

kitthehammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm If it is the case that we are not good enough across the board then surely you need to start looking at the manager?
We definitely have the players to compete in this league but maybe it is the way we are set up, emphasis, tactics etc that are wrong?
I think everybody at some point this season must have done that!!!!. Its getting to that time. Theres not much more room for excuses. We have 3 winnable home games now. I cant honesty still understand people talking about 7th when we have barely put back to back results together, let alone played well. My guess like everything Moyse we wont get anything definitive in these 4 games before the WC. He'll prob win Thurs, draw 2 and win one of the others....not good enough to move us upwards but not bad enough to fire him. Ive now reached a point where I dont really care if they sack him...which is nuts given the highs of the last 2 years, I dont really care how far up the table we finish either. The ECL is THE target for me and to start enjoying us play football again.
Mr_incredible

Post by Mr_incredible »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:47 pm If we are in a relegation battle I am Michael Barrymore's uncle.
Well Michaels uncle, I said CURRENTLY as even I dont believe we will be come April. But currently we sit 3 points clear of a team we play in 2 weeks and a third of the season is gone. I get the feeling thoughwe could have 3 games to go in this position and you still wouldnt believe we were in a relegation battle.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Mr_incredible wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:55 pm Well Michaels uncle, I said CURRENTLY as even I dont believe we will be come April. But currently we sit 3 points clear of a team we play in 2 weeks and a third of the season is gone. I get the feeling thoughwe could have 3 games to go in this position and you still wouldnt believe we were in a relegation battle.
If we are in the bottom four at Christmas we'd be in a relegation battle. But the team is simply too good to go down.

Our form and general play is miles ahead of where it was at the start of the season. I think we'll soon be battling for European places rather than at the other end.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:56 pm But the team is simply too good to go down.
Don't say that! You've bloody cursed us now!
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:07 pm Don't say that! You've bloody cursed us now!
Ahem. The team appears to be too good to go down! :lol:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

'Too good to go down'.
The prase that has come back to haunt countless teams in the past. Including us.
It's an old adage but the league table doesn't lie. You finish where you deserve to finish.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

If we struggle to win either of our next 2 matches then we are definitely in a relegation battle. So far we've only flirted with it thankfully. I think we'll win at least 1 of them. We do have Arsenal away upon our return on boxing day, so we need to make the most of our next 2 to try and win.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

wildkard wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm Third most successful (86.1%) passer of the ball after Rice (90.5%) and Kehrer (87.7%).

Third for key passes per game.

Joint second for assists.

Third for shots per game.

First for dribbles per game.

Fifth for number of times dispossessed per game (after Paqueta, Bowen, Scamacca, Antonio)
Good post. 👍🏻

That last stat in particular really shows up a number of popular opinions for what they really are.

People see what they want to see….
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:45 pm Good post. 👍🏻

That last stat in particular really shows up a number of popular opinions for what they really are.

What are the popular opinions? I know a lot of people (me included) have been critical of Benny boy in the past but I think most see his quality. One thing I have been pleased with is he is no longer getting dispossessed in dangerous areas so much. That is a big deal for him if he wants to nail down a starting place.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:45 pm People see what they want to see….
The flipside of that is certainly true also, I've seen Benrahma both unjustly slated and overpraised in fairly equal measure in fans' attempts to prove that they were right about Benrahma the whole time.

I'm still not a convert, but his performances and Fornals' lack of form should make Benrahma a starter for now. I just hope he takes the chance because Moyes has been more willing to bench him than other players.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:15 pm The flipside of that is certainly true also, I've seen Benrahma both unjustly slated and overpraised in fairly equal measure in fans' attempts to prove that they were right about Benrahma the whole time.

Yep, that's where I'm at with him, in the middle. Acknowledge the good build up play trying to make things happen, as well as point out he's not producing a good enough level of end product this season.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:45 pm Good post. 👍🏻

Dispossessed means tackled doesn't it? Just one of be myriad of ways to lose possession of the football...
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:25 pm Dispossessed means tackled doesn't it? Just one of be myriad of ways to lose possession of the football...
Hmm, I was kind of meaning both tackled and needless turnovers of possession.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

This is a good, albeit brief read.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:15 pm The flipside of that is certainly true also, I've seen Benrahma both unjustly slated and overpraised in fairly equal measure in fans' attempts to prove that they were right about Benrahma the whole time.

I'm still not a convert, but his performances and Fornals' lack of form should make Benrahma a starter for now. I just hope he takes the chance because Moyes has been more willing to bench him than other players.
The flipside isn’t true though in his case.

The common perception is that he’s wasteful in possession, gives the ball away/gets caught in possession a lot and constantly makes bad decisions.

The bare numbers tell a different story…and that’s before you factor in that he probably takes more risks on the ball than anyone else in the entire squad.

Thankfully the manager seems to be coming round.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:25 pm Dispossessed means tackled doesn't it? Just one of be myriad of ways to lose possession of the football...
Yes.