Elon Musk

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Elon Musk

Post by -DL- »

One of the things that I really like about Twitter is the full control of content that comes up on your feed. Someone that's a right wing Tommy Robinson supporter - unfollowed. Someone that retweets the same? Unfollowed. The same applies to the left wing nutters too of course.

Yeah, it can be full of twats at times - but it's easy to not have it full of twats.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 am One of the things that I really like about Twitter is the full control of content that comes up on your feed. Someone that's a right wing Tommy Robinson supporter - unfollowed. Someone that retweets the same? Unfollowed. The same applies to the left wing nutters too of course.

Yeah, it can be full of twats at times - but it's easy to not have it full of twats.
You sound the same as me when it comes to far right or far left. Both sides in the gutter, and as you say, twats.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

never have used it that much, can't get my head around the settings or day to day use. Might be missing something, but as I have never really used it, can't say that I miss it. :grin:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 am One of the things that I really like about Twitter is the full control of content that comes up on your feed. Someone that's a right wing Tommy Robinson supporter - unfollowed. Someone that retweets the same? Unfollowed. The same applies to the left wing nutters too of course.

Agreed, it is actually very locked down to the extent where it can easily become an echo chamber as you rarely see a dissenting view. Of course nothing can save you once you delve into the replies to a tweet!
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:38 am Comparing Twitter to Bebo and Myspace seems a little foolish to me. It has 3 times more users than Myspace ever had and 30 times more than Bebo. It isn't going anywhere in my opinion.
How would you even know that if it wasn’t for your job? It’s not foolish. Apps weren’t the done thing when MySpace was the big network.

Of course Twitter will cease to exist one day. Everything will come to an end eventually.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

How would I discover some easily found information about Internet platforms :o

Tough one that.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm How would I discover some easily found information about Internet platforms :o

Tough one that.
There's even a verb for it in the dictionary!
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:18 pm There's even a verb for it in the dictionary!
Please stop with the grammar thingy. Some of us didn't have the benefit of any decent schooling, so aren't sure if your being ironic or not. :grin:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

See the second chart - as Tesla's share price collapses, institutional investors are getting out and retail investors are getting in. Joe Public is getting ****ed.

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

The price is still highly inflated IMO.

If Tesla can't keep ahead of pretty much every other car manufacturer (which I don't think think they'll be able to), expect the market cap to at least half again as they lose enterprise value.

Generally, Toyota have been the highest MC car manufacturer, but Tesla are still nearly double them.

Tesla also have massive build quality and reliability issues (see JD Power 2020 report, basically how many problems per 100 cars in the first year or two I think the timespan was).

Elon really needs to focus on one project. Multi-managing Tesla, Twitter, SpaceX, The Boring Company etc. Is just too much for the amount of micromanaging he does.
MB

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:32 am See the second chart - as Tesla's share price collapses, institutional investors are getting out and retail investors are getting in. Joe Public is getting ****ed.
classic trader play to flog it to the retail market once the money has been made. No doubt lots of internet fanboys lumping on. Bizarre that cults of personality can exist in this day and age, especially with someone as repulsive as Musk.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

MB wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:58 amBizarre that cults of personality can exist in this day and age
Served the Republican party well.

I don't really get what Musk's play is from here. I think he's a bedroom tech nerd that's got rich and is now overstretching himself. But the public use of Twitter as a sounding board for policy ideas surely can only last so long.
MB

Post by MB »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:20 am Served the Republican party well.

I don't really get what Musk's play is from here. I think he's a bedroom tech nerd that's got rich and is now overstretching himself. But the public use of Twitter as a sounding board for policy ideas surely can only last so long.
Ego I think. Someone driven enough to make that much money probably starts to believe the hype. Most of us would have taken the PayPal cash and sat on a beach which is probably why we don’t have billion $ companies to start off with.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

It's funny MB, I was just saying to someone the other day - if I ever were to get lucky and win the lottery (and I don't even buy a ticket weekly, so it's highly unlikely) I'd have no idea what to do with the cash. All I really want is enough to live off month to month. I'd end up paying off mortgages and things for friends, or doing something charitable with it, and settle in a nice little house somewhere and live off the interest it earns while working something I really enjoyed doing even if it meant it was low pay.

I can't imagine someone like Musk needs more money, maybe doesn't even want more money. It must come down to wanting to be known and recognised.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Hammer1966 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:54 pm Looks like some bloke worth $220bn (or whatever it's down to today) should've paid a bit more attention to a teacher telling him how to run a business...
Elon Musk’s net wealth has fallen by $133bn to $139bn in 2022, according to Bloomberg estimates. Tesla stock, in which much of his wealth is centred, set a new 52-week low of $113 today (the 52-wk high is $402.67).
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:25 pm Elon Musk’s net wealth has fallen by $133bn to $139bn in 2022, according to Bloomberg estimates. Tesla stock, in which much of his wealth is centred, set a new 52-week low of $113 today (the 52-wk high is $402.67).
So we'll be more likely to see him at Asda or Iceland rather than Mark & Spencers.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:41 pm Some of us didn't have the benefit of any decent schooling, so aren't sure if your being ironic or not. :grin:
You're.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:25 pm Elon Musk’s net wealth has fallen by $133bn to $139bn in 2022, according to Bloomberg estimates.
Only $139bn?

Poor bloke, however will he cope.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

simon hammer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:03 pm Only $139bn?

Poor bloke, however will he cope.