Elon Musk

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Re: Elon Musk

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:59 am I think it's all about ego personally.

If it was all about money he wouldn't have bought Twitter that's for sure.
That's how I see it too from what I've read and seen about him.

Money obviously plays a part, but he doesn't seem to be money driven in the sense that it's about making as much of it as possible (as like you say, buying Twitter would have been a no and creating a new platform how he wants it would be the way).

He is an engineer at heart but has bitten off more than he can chew with this. From what I've read, he doesn't understand code to the extent that is required for the hand-on decisions he is making, which is primarily where twitter will fail if it continues.

Once he can monetise Twitter in a more bona fide way, it will rake in the cash as it's basically a massive advertising platform. I'd personally focus on that more than monthly subscriptions for users etc.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:43 pm ...............

Once he can monetise Twitter in a more bona fide way, it will rake in the cash as it's basically a massive advertising platform. I'd personally focus on that more than monthly subscriptions for users etc.
Capitalising on advertising is a long term plan, but the remaining staff will want to be paid this month. lenders will want their interest and renters will want their rent. I strongly suspect charging for a blue tick is for cash flow.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

I thought he didn't actually WANT to buy Twitter. He was just bluffing and they called his bluff and went to court.

I could be wrong though. Anyone know four certain?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:43 pm Once he can monetise Twitter in a more bona fide way, it will rake in the cash as it's basically a massive advertising platform. I'd personally focus on that more than monthly subscriptions for users etc.
Does an engineer who got lucky make a good ad-salesman?

He may be the richest man in the world and send rocket ships to Mars but he may have fallen for silicon valleys, and his own, hype here. Wonder if he's realised his primary job now is to sell ad-space?

Twitter is an first and foremost an ad-sales company, it sells ads to those with global reach by promising to manipulate it's users through some white-man magic (algorithms) to spend money on the advertisers products....the rest (social media micro-blogging global town square etc) is bluster.

If Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, L'Oreal and the like continue to suspend ads on twitter because of concerns over twitter without rules becoming toxic then he's on a loser. Childish alt-right notions of 'Free Speech' will clash with mega-corps fear of contamination by association with extreme nut-job views.
chelmsfordhammer91

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:49 pm Does an engineer who got lucky make a good ad-salesman?
Not at all, which is why I think it was a massive mistake for him to buy it.
chelmsfordhammer91

Shabu wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:29 pm I thought he didn't actually WANT to buy Twitter. He was just bluffing and they called his bluff and went to court.

I could be wrong though. Anyone know four certain?
It was something to do with him signing a contract on the premise of buying it, but he then wanted verification of the proportion of accounts that were bots (backing out at the time as he said Twitter were lying). I think this was an attempt to out them and have the true bot figures published, ego trip maybe.

However, what he failed to understand was that the contract he signed had a clause that said the due diligence was already undertaken, so there was no legal recourse for him to back out based on not knowing the number of bot accounts.

By then, the Twitter share price had dropped, so he was forced to buy it at an inflated price compared to the current price at the time. However, I'm pretty sure I read there was a 1-2 billion penalty for not buying it, which if true would have been a better move but again, ego trip maybe.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I think he'll run for President I'm a few years. It will suit his ego.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Staff locked out of the office until next week.

Is that so he can install the Blofeld style chairs that drop into Shark tanks?
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:06 am I think he'll run for President I'm a few years. It will suit his ego.

He can’t, not born there. That is why Trump kept asking to see Obama’s birth certificate as Trump claimed he was ineligible to be president. That gave rise to the proto MAGA / qanon crowd known as ‘birthers’.

Also, I think Musk has gone a bit crazy.

Elon Musk: Twitter locks staff out of offices until next week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63672307
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Beat me to it. You have to be born in America. Boris Johnson was born in New York!
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

If Twitter is still going by this time next week I'd be very surprised...
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

smuts wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:33 am If Twitter is still going by this time next week I'd be very surprised...
Nah, most likely conicide with me actually finally understanding how to use the damned thing, then shut it down.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Could be seen as typical Guardian hyperbole, but does clearly demonstrate the unfairness in the World, and some interesting observations on Musk and his ilk. Plus I've always loved the expression "The higher the monkey climbs, the more he exposes his backside."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -democracy
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Sought after staff asked to sign new terms on same pay saying goodbye to Musk Man.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Essexmaniac wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:10 am Sought after staff asked to sign new terms on same pay saying goodbye to Musk Man.
"Space Karen" :crylol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's a bit too sweet for my taste. Besides not a great lover of meriange
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:05 pm Some teacher tells some bloke worth $220bn how to run a business.....
And in less characters than it takes to tweet, you have summed up why most right-wingers so often miss the mark. Or rather, most right-wingers *are* the mark, but they think they're in on it. Give it up, dude. He's not going to f*** you.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

billybondsballbag wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:46 pm And in less characters than it takes to tweet, you have summed up why most right-wingers so often miss the mark. Or rather, most right-wingers *are* the mark, but they think they're in on it. Give it up, dude. He's not going to **** you.
That's quite a statement, can you prove that Musk hasn't got a thing for our very own Bubbles? :chin:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:15 pm That's quite a statement, can you prove that Musk hasn't got a thing for our very own Bubbles? :chin:
Based on the company he keeps there's a multitude of reasons bubbles may not be his type.

Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm Based on the company he keeps there's a multitude of reasons bubbles may not be his type.
Cracking pair of Bristols... :grin: