⚽ UCL: FCSB 0-3 West Ham Utd (3/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Re: ⚽ FCSB vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by hawkins_hammer »

If that's the last time we see Lanzini and Ogbonna play 90 minutes together it was worth watching. Fact they did it supporting youth team players making their debut made it all the better.

Love these European games and hope we can find a way to stay in it in the coming years #remain
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

It was a good solid performance all round. The young lads did a fantastic job.

Interestingly, following our home match against them the Romanians were all over our social media feeds saying that they were robbed and that they’d trounce us in Bucharest. I’m guessing their absolute double pumping by Silkeborg and then being beaten by our rather young team means that they’ve simmered down a bit. I’ve not seen one comment by them on club posts.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:07 am Playing in the league is a massive step up compared to that opposition last night!
That’s why I said 1-5 mins at the end of the game. Especially if we’re winning by 2 goals. It’s little risk for potentially a lot of reward.

I’m not asking them to come on at 1-0 down to change the game 😂 we currently have 2 keepers on the bench, one of those spaces should be given to a youngster. I’m sure the benefit of just being around the first team would be worth it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Derby Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:46 am It was a good solid performance all round. The young lads did a fantastic job.

Interestingly, following our home match against them the Romanians were all over our social media feeds saying that they were robbed and that they’d trounce us in Bucharest. I’m guessing their absolute double pumping by Silkeborg and then being beaten by our rather young team means that they’ve simmered down a bit. I’ve not seen one comment by them on club posts.
I think their night out in London was the highlight of their season. They had almost as many Romanians in the ground as there were English.
They gave it their all and we went through the motions.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

I was feeling lousy last night, went to bed early and missed the game.

Now I'm reading that it's our best performance in decades and that unto us has been born the new Roberto Carlos.

Can anyone point me towards an online video of the whole game?

Ta.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Pete647580 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:25 am I was feeling lousy last night, went to bed early and missed the game.

Now I'm reading that it's our best performance in decades and that unto us has been born the new Roberto Carlos.

Can anyone point me towards an online video of the whole game?

Ta.
If you have a BT login, it's on there.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:03 am That’s why I said 1-5 mins at the end of the game. Especially if we’re winning by 2 goals. It’s little risk for potentially a lot of reward.

I’m not asking them to come on at 1-0 down to change the game 😂 we currently have 2 keepers on the bench, one of those spaces should be given to a youngster. I’m sure the benefit of just being around the first team would be worth it.
When are we ever comfortable in a game though? All of our games seem to be close right up until the final minutes of the game where we might get a 2nd goal and wrap the game up! Not like we are regularly winning by 2/3 goals with plenty of time to go!
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:27 am If you have a BT login, it's on there.
Thanks but I don't (am tightwad).
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:12 am I think their night out in London was the highlight of their season. They had almost as many Romanians in the ground as there were English.
They gave it their all and we went through the motions.
Completely agree it was there big day out, but they were coming onto club posts during the Anderlecht games and still banging on about how they were robbed and how we’d get beaten.
BoleynGone
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by BoleynGone »

Peaches wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:38 pm FCSB weren’t very good, but you can only beat what’s in front of you. Aguerd is class, Mubama has something about him, and good to see Fornals get a couple of goals (hopefully he kicks on from that), but Ollie Scarles and Harrison Ashby are different gravy. Ashby can walk into the first team, and Scarles for a 16 year old looked like an old pro.Also 9 academy players featured today, something that can’t be underestimated.

peach of a comment there mate
Both were excellent but despite this you know even against Blackburn Moyes will play Emerson and Coufal as wing backs .
Ashby and Scarles both were in such better positions than Coufal all game. Coufal is NOT a wing back,how many more times will we have to see him there. Johnson is far better suited and you could never see Coufal thumping a ball forward to a team mate like for Fornals goal.

only thing i would say about FCSB is we struggled to break them down in our home fixture with virtually a first team on the pitch.
it's more about Moyes and his negative tactics.
there's no way he thought before the game that Scarles would play 90 minutes and on the softest of yellows i've seen !!
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Pete647580 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:25 am

Ollie Scarles, The Cockney Carlos :hamm:
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:28 am When are we ever comfortable in a game though? All of our games seem to be close right up until the final minutes of the game where we might get a 2nd goal and wrap the game up! Not like we are regularly winning by 2/3 goals with plenty of time to go!
The games against B'mouth, Fulham or Wolves. I really don't see the issue with the other poster's suggestion that we could bring them on for a few minutes at the end of certain games tbh.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Highlights here for those who not seen them..
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Such a shame the 2nd got credited as an OG. It was possibly heading wide but I've seen bigger deflections credited.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

smuts wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:08 pm Such a shame the 2nd got credited as an OG. It was possibly heading wide but I've seen bigger deflections credited.
Cruel wasn't it.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Looked like it was going well wide to me.

Bit of a downer for the lad, but he qas in the right place and headed the ball across goal as you're taught to do.

Wonder if he'll be loaned out in Jan?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

BoleynGone wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:52 amAshby and Scarles both were in such better positions than Coufal all game. Coufal is NOT a wing back,how many more times will we have to see him there.
Probably more frequently, if Vlad keeps providing assists as was the case last night.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Shabu wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:06 am
There's a bit on this where the interviewer says we used nine academy players last night. NINE!

Fantastic performances from all of them. I know it's already been said that you can only beat what's in front of you, but they really did beat them with a good degree of comfort. Is this our class of '92? :wink:

Really proud to be a Hammer today.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

How many assists did Coufal have from open play in his first season? Six?

Arguably he is more suited to a wingback role in games like last night where he doesn't have to get up and down as much and gets more time to knock in a cross

Different story in the Premier League, but the same would be true for Ashby.

Don't get me wrong, I'd upgrade him in a heartbeat if we regularly played 3 ATB, but he is our best option in that role currently (IMO) and did very well last night.

Let's not use the bright performances of some of the youngsters as a stick to beat first team pros with. Moyes is in the results business and has shown sentiment doesn't come into it regardless of posts about "favourites".
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

BoleynGone wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:52 am peach of a comment there mate
Both were excellent but despite this you know even against Blackburn Moyes will play Emerson and Coufal as wing backs .
Ashby and Scarles both were in such better positions than Coufal all game. Coufal is NOT a wing back,how many more times will we have to see him there.

Coufal got forward for the entire time he was on the pitch yesterday, even getting in a nice couple of shots that perhaps deserve more.
The call for Ashby to be our first team right back are way too premature in my opinion, first of all we don't have much of an idea yet what he is like defensively.
Coufal, despite his obvious weaknesses is pretty good at keeping wingers quiet. No idea if Ashby could do the same. Secondly Ashby has largely only played against inferior opposition and is untried at any decent level.
I know there is always a clamour for youth but sometimes it needs to be tempered with realism.
As for Blackburn next week, Emmerson certainly needs game time but wouldn't surprise me to see more of the likes of Ashby and co.