⚽ UCL: FCSB 0-3 West Ham Utd (3/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: ⚽ FCSB vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by kitthehammer »

i don't mean to discredit the team or kids or anything but on reflection we do need to appreciate that fcsb were shockingly bad. This was the team that got beaten home and away by silkeborg 5-0. Just need a bit of perspective before we get too carried away.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 pm i don't mean to discredit the team or kids or anything but on reflection we do need to appreciate that fcsb were shockingly bad. This was the team that got beaten home and away by silkeborg 5-0. Just need a bit of perspective before we get too carried away.
I think most people get that Kit. However, whatever the opposition the players did well, and one was only 16! Remember last year's FA Cup game against non-league opponents with a team full of regulars. The youngsters obviously need to further develop, particularly their strength, speed of thought etc. A good loan deal to a decent club would benefit most of them. With the exception perhaps of Ashby, I can't see any others facing Premiership opposition any time soon.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:36 pm I think most people get that Kit.
Nobody is going to get that Kit , it is the shittiest West Ham kit i have ever seen!
Captain Corelli
Has liked: 162 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by Captain Corelli »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:56 pm Nobody is going to get that Kit , it is the shittiest West Ham kit i have ever seen!
That view will change when we win the cup!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 pm i don't mean to discredit the team or kids or anything but on reflection we do need to appreciate that fcsb were shockingly bad. This was the team that got beaten home and away by silkeborg 5-0. Just need a bit of perspective before we get too carried away.
It is a fair point Kit, but I don't think many are getting too carried away.

We've all seen youngsters have good games and disappear, but it is just nice to have a bit of hope.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

No.
:scarfer:
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Whenever I hear 'Kit' - I instinctively think.... 'Yes Michael?'

Anyone else? Na? F*ck you then.

Re: the actual kit - I can't imagine us lifting a cup and not being in claret and blue....
BoleynGone
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by BoleynGone »

MB wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:25 pm How many assists did Coufal have from open play in his first season? Six?

Arguably he is more suited to a wingback role in games like last night where he doesn't have to get up and down as much and gets more time to knock in a cross

Different story in the Premier League, but the same would be true for Ashby.

Don't get me wrong, I'd upgrade him in a heartbeat if we regularly played 3 ATB, but he is our best option in that role currently (IMO) and did very well last night.

Let's not use the bright performances of some of the youngsters as a stick to beat first team pros with. Moyes is in the results business and has shown sentiment doesn't come into it regardless of posts about "favourites".
Totally disagree.
Coufal is not quick enough and isn't the best at shooting,has he ever scored from numerous chances ? No.
Give him credit he put in a great cross for Divin's goal but hasn;t done that in a year.
He and Johnson don't gel.
The positioning of Ashby is so good and he reads the game so well I seen enough of him.
Give Ashby more games and we will see the fruits of his game.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Got in almost two hours ago after three nights in Bucharest and just scanning the various thread titles this doesn't seem to be covered elsewhere. After last night's game we were kept up on the higher concourse for 20 minutes or so and then the same again behind the exit gate.A group of buses were tantalizingly close and initially I thought they were for us a la Lyon(it was now around 0.45 and presumably regular bus services were finished for the night or close to it.Then the buses pulled away,presumably containing the last home fans.I saw not a hint of trouble in my time in Bucharest,(and travelled to Seville,Lyon and Frankfurt last season) and our support while in bars etc. was much less lairy than in the buildup to the Lyon game.We were let out and were told by the Police chief "bus finished for tonight".Close to a hundred taxis were waiting by our exit but most of us were understandably wary given the reputation of Bucharest taxis and the club had even warned us not to use them.(For confirmation the young receptionist at my hotel said drivers tried to cheat her even though she was Romanian and knew the routes.She said it was because she spoke Romanian differently after living in Liverpool for five years :chin: )
I was by myself and although some drivers offered reasonable fares of 50 Lei (about £9) to my hotel I didn't want to end up somewhere else with no option but paying more.(Younger guys did Bolt ,Uber etc. and I may have to bite that bullet for another time). In the end it was a 50 minute walk for me and longer for those staying in the Old town who took Shanks' pony.I was back in my room around 1.50.
There has got to be a better way to treat us ...
BoleynGone
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by BoleynGone »

MB wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:25 pm How many assists did Coufal have from open play in his first season? Six?

Arguably he is more suited to a wingback role in games like last night where he doesn't have to get up and down as much and gets more time to knock in a cross

Different story in the Premier League, but the same would be true for Ashby.

Don't get me wrong, I'd upgrade him in a heartbeat if we regularly played 3 ATB, but he is our best option in that role currently (IMO) and did very well last night.

Let's not use the bright performances of some of the youngsters as a stick to beat first team pros with. Moyes is in the results business and has shown sentiment doesn't come into it regardless of posts about "favourites".
Totally disagree.
Coufal is not quick enough and isn't the best at shooting,has he ever scored from numerous chances ? No.
Give him credit he put in a great cross for Divin's goal but hasn;t done that in a year.
He and Johnson don't gel.
The positioning of Ashby is so good and he reads the game so well I seen enough of him.
Give Ashby more games and we will see the fruits of his game.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Are you Ashby’s uncle BG? :crylol:
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

It's far too early to be sending a 16 year old out on loan. He needs to be nurtured here for at least another 2 years, even if he doesn't see many minutes in the first team (which he obviously won't). 16/17 year olds do not need that much uproot and change in their lives. There is no rush.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

mushy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:18 pm As for Blackburn next week, Emmerson certainly needs game time but wouldn't surprise me to see more of the likes of Ashby and co.
Should play the same eleven as last night against Blackburn and throughout that pointless competition, we don't need the fixture congestion anyway and if we get lucky the youth get a couple of games against not more challenging domestic teams.

League and Europe first.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Sticky wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:13 pm Whenever I hear 'Kit' - I instinctively think.... 'Yes Michael?'

Anyone else? Na? F*ck you then.

Re: the actual kit - I can't imagine us lifting a cup and not being in claret and blue....
"Yes Michael...."

In a slightly effeminate voice.

Woh woh....woh woh....
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

That kit is confusing because it’s so bad and yet it’s starting to be associated with famous games and future fond memories. I don’t know what to think of it anymore.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Dimension Diver wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:25 am That kit is confusing because it’s so bad and yet it’s starting to be associated with famous games and future fond memories. I don’t know what to think of it anymore.
Ehh idk, we’ve had some disappointing games in it already iirc…I don’t think it’s anywhere near black and gold kit 3rd kit status yet…if we win Conference league wearing it, that’s another thing
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Mubama & Scarles really f*cking love that kit...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

These European games are great fun to go to, which is why we had the best part of 3,000 supporters over there.Thursdays game was especially good as it was a no pressure, no risk game we could all enjoy from the off and see how the young lads would do.

They did us, and themselves proud, albeit, and they will know this, against poor opposition. The senior players too reaped the rewards of playing against a side that didn't work hard to shut down space, apply pressure to force an error or simply make us work harder. Gaps appeared through which good passes could be launched, and we had the smarts to take advantage of them. A 3-0 win could have been 5 or 6.

Nice to see Agured get 90 minutes under his belt and Lanzini had a fabulous 2nd half - see earlier comments about space, so the youngsters will see this as another stage on their development rather than the moment they have reached the summit. I was delighted for Mubama, and frankly I don't care how some panel view his goal as an OG, for me it will always be his. He had a generally decent night, with a few heavy touches here and there, but did well. Scarles too chucked in numerous decent crosses.

Agured though is possibly the only one who will start on Sunday, most of the others will start against Blackburn I would think.
Ilford Paolo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:27 pm Got in almost two hours ago after three nights in Bucharest and just scanning the various thread titles this doesn't seem to be covered elsewhere. After last night's game we were kept up on the higher concourse for 20 minutes or so and then the same again behind the exit gate.A group of buses were tantalizingly close and initially I thought they were for us a la Lyon(it was now around 0.45 and presumably regular bus services were finished for the night or close to it.Then the buses pulled away,presumably containing the last home fans.

Close to a hundred taxis were waiting by our exit but most of us were understandably wary given the reputation of Bucharest taxis and the club had even warned us not to use them.

I was by myself and although some drivers offered reasonable fares of 50 Lei (about £9) to my hotel I didn't want to end up somewhere else with no option but paying more.(Younger guys did Bolt ,Uber etc. and I may have to bite that bullet for another time). In the end it was a 50 minute walk for me and longer for those staying in the Old town who took Shanks' pony.I was back in my room around 1.50.
There has got to be a better way to treat us ...
I'm glad you have raised this IP.

Hold backs are the norm for the European games, especially if we are playing a club we have all heard of and SB would certainly be in that group.

After the game on Thursday there were 3 coaches to take the supporters who travelled with Sporting Options straight back to the airport for their flight home, and those were parked in the stadium compound. There were also 5 buses just outside the stadium gates.

5 buses for 2,500 supporters.

It's simply not good enough from our club who have a duty of care towards our travelling support, whether they like it or not.

Let's dispel some myths here: we aren't all 25-year old's, fit as anything and capable of doing 100 metres in 10 seconds and bench pressing 200lbs.Many are in the 60+ category........maybe we should have a special group, call it LGBTQ60+ :winker: or some such, but, joking apart, I saw a visually impaired supporter who had a carer with them, and who were fortunate enough to get on one of the 5 buses.....but there was no guarantee. I suspect the man's carer planned ahead and made sure they slipped the net or negotiated early release to avoid the crowd. The club do have a number of stewards who stand in with us during the games and it's possible in that case they offered assistance. If so, fair play and well-done West Ham.

However, my general point is this.

We were told when we collected our tickets at the 5* Grand Hotel, where the club support staff were staying, that there would be buses to bring us back in to the Old Town. Who, in our club is responsible for liaising with FCSB to ensure sufficient are laid on or that multiple runs/drops would be made.

One name please. One executive, please put your hand up and explain what went wrong.

In this case there were plenty of Cabs, and or the walk wasn't that far, only 4.5km, but for some that would have been difficult.

Somebody dropped the ball. WHU ? FCSB ? The local authorities? And I think our supporters have a right to a reasonable explanation. We bought the tickets, behaved ourselves and still end up with grief.For the record, one arrest, later released, no charge. Out of over 3,000 on the tip. Impeccable behaviour.

The reason this matters is because the yellow cab drivers were ripping our supporters off left right and Centre. The absolute sum of money may not have been huge but it was an En-masse collective effort to overcharge.

The correct fare for a mid-sized yellow cab is 2.79 Lei per KM so a stadium = Old town run should have been about 15Lei. Supporters were being quoted anything up to 100, a sixfold rip off. I booked 2 Ubers pre-game for the journey and the dearest was 18 Lei.

Now, the club could argue that they simply sell a ticket to the game, in which case why do so many support staff travel. If they are not there to offer real help in the practical things, why are they there?

I watched the game on Thursday from the middle tier on the halfway line due to being a late arrival at the stadium. We arrived at the wrong end of the stadium yet Bubbles was clearly loud and audible from outside the stadium. During the game, believe me, when the "Massive" chant went up, it was loud, proud and would definitely have given the players a lift -they would have heard it loud and clear.

Support matters, and our supporters should matter more to the club. A little more attention to detail on these foreign trips would help build a better bond between the club and it's supporters.

A year ago loads were left stood in the dark in a car park in Belgium. Plus Ca Change ?, as they say in foreign lands.

Footnote - Bucharest is a beautiful city in parts, stunning architecture, a real sense of history, vast avenues, palaces, churches and the like. It's gradually being ruined by the onslaught of economic imperialism, seriously, how many ****ing Starbucks and KFC's does the world need? Catch it while it still has something to offer.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Think that's why so many ****ed off at half time, meaningless game and knew getting back was going to be an arse ache.
Mod Life Crisis
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by Mod Life Crisis »

Pinkie, a very well-measured post regarding the farcical situation after the game. One amendment I would make is that we were being quoted 200 lei fly a number of taxi drivers - £40+ quid for a £5 ride. We chose to walk but had to get a taxi halfway, due to my knee giving in - still cost 100 lei. One group I know agreed a price that then doubled in the middle of nowhere, with demands of immediate pre-payment of the increased charge. This group included a woman, who felt quite threatened.

One other area of concern was the bottleneck at the gates exiting the compound. After the buses left, many hundreds of us were held back and then finally funnelled through some gates that were narrowed even further by the police, to an extent that we were getting through in ones and twos, rather than as a group. This led to some unpleasant exchanges with the police, which they could have avoided. It was very reminiscent of my experience getting into the ground at Frankfurt, which nearly ended with their stewards getting a clump from a number of disgruntled middle-aged gentlemen. This is where I think the Club’s employees could be getting more involved and could do with being discussed between the Club and fans. (If only we had a means of communication between the two; I dunno, something like a supporters committee that was independent of the Club? Just an idea).

On the positive side, great to visit such a lovely city again and i am really enjoying seeing some of our fans experiencing watching the team abroad for the first time. They are adding to the atmosphere during the game, which is adding to the experience for everyone. The buzz this season and last is far better than the 2 campaigns that were ended by Astra GooGoo.