Air fryers

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Air fryers

Post by jevs »

Has anyone joined the ever increasing fans of air fryers?

Bought the Ninja Foodi Dual 300 last year and used it virtually every day

It's basically a small, more efficient oven, so anything you can do in your traditional fan oven, you can do in the air fryer

From cheese on toast to bacon, jacket spuds to a full roast and most things inbetween

Loads of different ones on the market but been very happy with the Ninja....if you can get hold of one.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Re: Air fryers

Post by Shabu »

Have had them for over 3 years.

First off was a basic one, now one that can do almost anything..

We live in a house with my Thai mother in law who doesn't use the oven & it's just a storage area so she just boils or fries everything.

I have my air fryer & microwave outside & use it for most things. Made a lovely lasagne tonight.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

jevs wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:34 amLoads of different ones on the market but been very happy with the Ninja....if you can get hold of one.
The model I'm after has been out of stock (on their own website) for ages now.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Love mine - wished I'd gone a bit bigger (ooer) or the dual version but can get a small chicken in mine.

Cheap to run, easy to clean...and with my slow cooker, probably my most used kitchen appliance now
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Can you make cakes in them?
Genuine question
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Can you make roasted veg in them? Can you still use oil or does it all need to be fat free?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 am Can you make roasted veg in them? Can you still use oil or does it all need to be fat free?
As fair as I'm aware you can pretty much do anything with them, using oil n' all.

There's lots of great sites/Youtube channels now, with loads of great recipes and and meal ideas for Airfryer cooking.

Marvelous appliance.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

jevs wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:34 am Has anyone joined the ever increasing fans of air fryers?

Bought the Ninja Foodi Dual 300 last year and used it virtually every day

It's basically a small, more efficient oven, so anything you can do in your traditional fan oven, you can do in the air fryer

From cheese on toast to bacon, jacket spuds to a full roast and most things inbetween

Loads of different ones on the market but been very happy with the Ninja....if you can get hold of one.
we got one summer 21 I think it was, wife didnt want it but I did. convince her after one meal reheating BBQ food for the day before and it was so much tastier. like it was fresh

anyways we cook almost everything in it now. so much so that when the kitchen is redone (many years time) we will prob go for a smaller oven but with a big induction hob and then just use an air fryer .

its great for the kids meals, and for example we had meatballs last night (hob job) but garlic bread. what a waste to turn the oven on just for that.. so just throw in air fryer 4 mins done.

oven chips amazing from it as im sure you know

Mrs did a cheese toasty in it the other day wow that was nice

my parents bought themselves the same model a week later as they were so impressed (they are very tight so must have liked it)
then i bought my inlaws one as they wanted one like ours but i thought if i get them the same one my mother in law knows how to work it easier if its same as she has at home

one of the best purchases id say, saves so much on the oven

think we use the oven when we got lots of people over or when having lasagna , about it
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Binned it after one outing, waste of money
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

As there are just two of us at home it is one of the best things we have ever bought.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

We have a Tower 9L, two 4.5L trays. Absolutely great and we use it a lot, but I'm not sure how a family would get on with the size. Quicker than the conventional oven and less energy used, what's not to like?
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

Heysel76 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:11 am Can you make cakes in them?
Genuine question
Yes you can.
Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:24 am Can you make roasted veg in them? Can you still use oil or does it all need to be fat free?
Yes and it's better to use spray oil (not frylite as apparently, that can damage the coating on the drawers)
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

I make lovely roast potatoes in mine. Just spray a little oil on.

I've also done really good Brussel sprouts but be careful about burning them. It can happen in a minute
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

My missus bought a Philips one about 6 months ago. I was skeptical and thought it would go the way of the bread oven and various other kitchen gadgets mostly consigned to the basement, but its been brilliant and use it several times a week.

I've done roast pork, lamb, chicken, all of which have come out very succulent, plus sea bream & salmon, all manner of vegetables, potatoes and so on. Looking forward to trying a few other things and there are loads of recipes out there. Easy to clean too :)
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

My missus bought a ninja dual a few months ago. As she is vegetarian and I'm not we are a bit limited as obviously she wants to keep her stuff away from my meat (ooer) but it's great for making our fish and chips nice and crispy on the outside while just right inside. :newthumb:
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Ive got one of these things.

Pretty good tbf although I mainly use it for chips :grin:
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

old fart wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:53 pm Binned it after one outing, waste of money
Surely not?

We got a basic one either last Christmas or the year before and we use it almost every day. Only regret is not buying a bigger one.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Learnt a lesson today,bought some paper liners for the basket DONT PUT THEM IN WHILE PREHEATING as they burn :oops:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

What are the like to clean please? Read some real horrorshow stories about getting them clean!
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:06 pm What are the like to clean please? Read some real horrorshow stories about getting them clean!
The dirty bits from my actifry go in the dishwasher and come out sparkling. No issues here.