Air fryers

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Air fryers

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:06 am Chicken Kievs come out nice. 14 minutes, as opposed to 15 minutes warming the oven, and 25 to 30 minutes to cook.

I'm now going to eat nothing else but.
This is the big 'saving' for me. Stuff cooks in the air fryer before the oven even gets up to temperature. Absolute winner.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

jastons wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:35 pm This is the big 'saving' for me. Stuff cooks in the air fryer before the oven even gets up to temperature. Absolute winner.
I think that's where my appeal comes from. It's not even an energy saving, but a time one. I said on the last page, I do so much of my cooking on the hob - but then last night I had a frozen Pukka pie that took 50 minutes in the oven from start to finish, after preheating.
Xander
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Xander »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:17 pm need to perfect the simple jacket potato, anyone done it perfectly?

tried 200 degree for 50 mins.. still a little hard but could still enjoy it

we used to microwave for 7 mins then in the oven for 45 mins so could microwave then air fry for half hour

however would like to see if there is just an air fry way as its such a simple winter meal
They don't really work completey done in the AF. I stab the potatoes a few times, put them in a bowl in the mirowave with a small amount of water at the bottom (they seem to come out with a better consistency; steaming I guess) and cook for around 15-20mins depending on how many potatoes and how big they are. Remove, spray with oil, crack sea salt on and chuck in the AF for 15'ish min.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Air fryer Christmas Ham

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Everyone and their dog seem to be getting one that we know and rave about them, they are even doing hard boiled eggs in them?!?!

I believe it's a cult and you will all soon start having to do strange things in support of said cult..
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:44 am Everyone and their dog seem to be getting one that we know and rave about them, they are even doing hard boiled eggs in them?!?!

I believe it's a cult and you will all soon start having to do strange things in support of said cult..
I've done fried eggs in mine. It's not as good as in the pan.

I also have a contraption that does poached eggs in the microwave in 90 seconds
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Mrs used the oven today instead of the air fryer.. just to check it works fine for Christmas day.

Just goes to show just how little we use it now

Once or twice a month
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Got a Ninja Foodi Max for Christmas - amazing piece of kit. Loving not only the air fryer, but also the pressure cooker. It's just a shame my pizza's don't fit in there or else I'd scrap the old oven right now.
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Nipped into my local discount Grocery Outlet & they had these steaks made from mushroom for $2 for 2.

Just air fried them up with some baked beans & they ain't bad at all. They remind me of Dalesteaks from about 35/40 years ago
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Never baked anything before but decided to have a go at some cinnamon rolls in the friar today,few problems getting the dough right(rescued by the mrs)they actually came out good,nice texture bit crispy and tasted good with the cream cheese icing(more cinnamon req next time)
13 mins in the friar
was quite chuffed with myself
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:16 pm They remind me of Dalesteaks from about 35/40 years ago
You should buy some fresh ones.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:40 pm Got a Ninja Foodi Max for Christmas - amazing piece of kit. Loving not only the air fryer, but also the pressure cooker. It's just a shame my pizza's don't fit in there or else I'd scrap the old oven right now.
Cut the pizza up and put in... Game changer
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Xander wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:19 pm They don't really work completey done in the AF. I stab the potatoes a few times, put them in a bowl in the mirowave with a small amount of water at the bottom (they seem to come out with a better consistency; steaming I guess) and cook for around 15-20mins depending on how many potatoes and how big they are. Remove, spray with oil, crack sea salt on and chuck in the AF for 15'ish min.
Shouldn't need all that palava if you use the right variety. Although there are better ones(egVivaldi) you'll probably have to grow them yourself, but Estima or Melody are common in supermarkets. If you use any old spud, it'll work, but still be substandard however you cook it. (Copyright @ Kumbsnet 2023)
Xander

Post by Xander »

We bought the dual fryer Lidl had just before Christmas. Absolute game changer and a great piece of kit with various modes roast / bake, re-heat (and more that haven't played with yet). Amazing roast potatoes in 15mins and saved a tonne of time (and washing up) on the Christmas dinner.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Xander wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:03 pm We bought the dual fryer Lidl had just before Christmas. Absolute game changer and a great piece of kit with various modes roast / bake, re-heat (and more that haven't played with yet). Amazing roast potatoes in 15mins and saved a tonne of time (and washing up) on the Christmas dinner.
But did you need to par boil the potatoes before putting them in the air fryer and how did you cook whatever lump of meat/poultry you had?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We've got one and it's fantastic, good.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

For anyone interested in power consumption compared to an oven.

So yellow line is the air fryer being turned on at 11:40 and red is off at 12:15 .. you can see by the graph how much pull powerwise it was using

Purple is the Oven being turned on 1745 Nd getting up to heat .. white is it going off , nothing else on in the house at the time ..(well same things in ie bulbs etc)

Apart from one burst it doesn't go above the oven when the oven is at its lowest (so keeping temp)

Just a shame the pie her mum made us couldn't fit in the air fryer!

Xander

Post by Xander »

mushy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:10 am But did you need to par boil the potatoes before putting them in the air fryer and how did you cook whatever lump of meat/poultry you had?
I cooked the meat in the oven - haven;t had enough practice to try meat yet. Madam is vegetarian and I wasn't risking meat!

There was no need to par-boil the spuds, cut them reasonable small, put a small amount of oil in a bowl, tossed them in that; on roast for 15mins, 5mins on airfryer mode.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Xander wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:42 pm I cooked the meat in the oven.
But this is one of the things I don't understand, if you've got the oven on for the meat, why not use it for everything else at the same time?
It won't cost you any more.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Having a dual drawer makes a world of difference. There's nothing now that I won't cook in mine.

Never have I had such moist meat (settle down at the back, I'm not on about that), and the roasties come out superb.

Aside from having to use the oven for a pie that was too big to go in the air-fryer (a misleading name, as I think a turbo oven would be a more appropriate tag), the oven hasn't been on since.

If you can stretch to a Ninja, or any other brand that goes up to 240c, do so.

Blasting a pork joint, or spuds for the last 5 mins on anything between 220c to 240c is, to quote a phrase I hate but has been said often in this thread, is a game changer.

It's one of those things that I wonder how I did without.

They're really that good once you've got used to them.