The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Re: The Police

Post by Hammer1966 »

A horrific case and with more to come apparently as up to 1,000 more officers of the 45,000 strong force are currently being investigated for sexual crimes. Louise Casey’s second report into the Met is due in March and a further government commissioned report following the Sarah Everard case is due next summer. This isn't going away any time soon and that can only be a good thing. Individual Police officers have abused their position for far too long and need to be held accountable. But the leadership are just as culpable.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

Reading further on this, one can only be in awe of the bravery of the women who found the strength to come forward and report this guy. His crimes were unbelievably horrific and dehumanising. The way the Police force failed to join the dots and the fact that many of his victims decided not to proceed with complaints shows us there's a huge amount to be done as a society so that people can be confident they will be believed when reporting crimes like this.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:12 am Reading further on this, one can only be in awe of the bravery of the women who found the strength to come forward and report this guy. His crimes were unbelievably horrific and dehumanising. The way the Police force failed to join the dots and the fact that many of his victims decided not to proceed with complaints shows us there's a huge amount to be done as a society so that people can be confident they will be believed when reporting crimes like this.
The police tend to cover their own over here but in the USA it's even more prevalent. The introduction of bodycams has been a complete game-changer in the USA with more officers being brought to account for their unprofessionalism, abuse of people's rights and in some cases brutality. Whilst we're not at that level yet over here in the UK, it does beg the question how accountable are the police for their actions if they're being investigated by themselves?

The whole ethos of policing in the UK (in fact, it's one of it's founding principles) is the principle of policing by consent which relies on the trust and confidence that the public has in the police service and the wider law enforcement community. Cases like this seriously undermine that confidence, especially the way in which the police investigated this individual.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:12 am Reading further on this, one can only be in awe of the bravery of the women who found the strength to come forward and report this guy. His crimes were unbelievably horrific and dehumanising. The way the Police force failed to join the dots and the fact that many of his victims decided not to proceed with complaints shows us there's a huge amount to be done as a society so that people can be confident they will be believed when reporting crimes like this.
Did they not even see the dots to join or wilfully ignore them?
Either way it's not good.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

A really good (but sad) article on the situation. Marina Hyde is generally very good at cutting to the matter at hand, and I think she nails it in this article.

I can't imagine how any woman could trust a police office at present, and I think I'll be advising my daughter to steer clear of all of them as she gets older.

Big changes needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ce-officer
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:41 pm A really good (but sad) article on the situation. Marina Hyde is generally very good at cutting to the matter at hand, and I think she nails it in this article.

I can't imagine how any woman could trust a police office at present, and I think I'll be advising my daughter to steer clear of all of them as she gets older.

Big changes needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ce-officer
Great article - what a sorry state of affairs. Despite changes in recent years there's still a somewhat 'macho' culture within the Met according to some friends that work in it.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

YGNB wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:01 pm Great article - what a sorry state of affairs. Despite changes in recent years there's still a somewhat 'macho' culture within the Met according to some friends that work in it.
For me a big part of the problem is that the Police officers who commit these crimes don't come from nowhere. They are a part of society and they grow up in the same schools and areas as the rest of us. Yes, the Met in this case (and way too many others) allows them to get away with it and for that they should rightly be castigated but the Met didn't bring these people up, educate and instil values in them. That's society's problem and one we ignore at our peril.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Marinha Hyde nails it again.

Remember being at a christening a few years ago when at about 8pm some pissed up lout was calling the bar manager a **** and having to be held back from swinging punches because the manager had told his rampaging kids to stay out the members bar and get their drinks off the snooker tables.

Yep he was a met copper.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

Curious isn't it. I no longer go down my local pub because I feel uncomfortable. A guy who has lived in the village for a while ,so he says turns up,a nice guy chats etc says he's a bit shy, which is why he hasnt come before feels he needs to meet some village people, we all arrange to have a day out at the cricket at the Oval.He sets up a what's apps group for us. Have a good day out turns this guy is an ex copper, diplomatic protection. Stop off have curry want a cab home after, this guy starts calling cab drivers who won't stop f***ing ragheads. Then starts sending semi racist what's apps messages, after all we're all lads together ain't we.
He's now the life and soul of the local ,his wife who never went out before never leaves his side.
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

I've had a copper tell me it's hard not to become racist after doing the job for a while, he said he overcomes this by being a **** to everyone regardless of race or creed.........
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

One of my neighbours was a paramedic until recently. They told me that they quit because they were fed up with having to deal with the public in the area they were working in, and they could feel that these negative interactions were taking their toll and making them feel racist.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

delbert wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:37 am I've had a copper tell me it's hard not to become racist after doing the job for a while, he said he overcomes this by being a **** to everyone regardless of race or creed.........
I can kind of see that. They do have to see the very worst of society.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many would commit sexual assaults though.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

You'd be surprised by the number of coppers being reprimanded, sacked and in some cases criminally charged for misconduct whilst on (and off) the job, not to mention attempting to violate people's rights almost daily. There is an argument to say that they're only human etc. but I don't think many of them fully understand the position position of power they're in and the principle of policing by consent.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am
I can't for the life of me understand why so many would commit sexual assaults though.
One word - power.

Becoming a copper gives a person a position of power, and positions of power tend to attract the very worst of society.

See also: politicians.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

Is there any other job anyone is aware of where an accusation of sexual assault would not lead to suspension while the case was investigated? (apart from Politician).
sendô

Post by sendô »

Member of the royal family?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Whilst Liverpool fans caused issues nationwide and in Europe for years, Hillsborough was a huge cover up that took far too long for justice to be delivered. Who could live with themselves for being responsible for the deaths of 97 innocent people?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm Who could live with themselves for being responsible for the deaths of 97 innocent people?
Chief Constable David Crompton could. He apparently attempted to perpetuate the story that Liverpool supporters were to blame for the disaster, rather than stand by previous admissions of police fault.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:08 pm Is there any other job anyone is aware of where an accusation of sexual assault would not lead to suspension while the case was investigated? (apart from Politician).
Priests.

I'm sure I've read about teachers/headmasters going unpunished for a long time before justice had been done.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:01 pm Priests.

I'm sure I've read about teachers/headmasters going unpunished for a long time before justice had been done.
Cheers. So we have Police, Politicians, Priests (and Vicars), Royals and Teachers.

Thankfully none of those are in any kind of position of authority or power eh?