The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

The Police

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

No, not the popular beat combo led by that high voiced, tantric sex loving bellend, I'm talking about the rozzers. Alarming news that those upholding the law, have had shady pasts. Yes, it's a tough job, often thankless and often their actions are infuriating but there's no excuse for employing criminals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63478011
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: The Police

Post by woodgreenspur »

Trouble is they are so short staffed,they probably won't get rid of the wrong uns.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

It’s changed from thinking all cozzers were bullied at school to all cozzers were the bullies at school.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Post by Shabu »

Who better to understand the mind of a criminal than a criminal?

Or a posh bird, according to the UK crime shows I've been watching on Amazon Prime lately.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Bit like Clockwork Oranage isn't it?
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

I knew a bloke who joined the met, he was a massive cokehead. One time a mutual friend went for a weekend away with him and his work colleagues. He said they were racking up lines on the motorway and one of them was holding the wheel while the driver did one off of a CD case.
The cokehead I knew got worse as time went on, to be fair he saw some horrible things and had a few close shaves, ended up leaving with mental health issues.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

A few bad apples will tarnish the name of the force and create a further divide from the public between the public and the police. What makes it worse is the culture of not calling out bad behaviour of their fellow police from serving officers who know what's going on is bad.

There's a lot wrong with policing in this country for sure, but the USA is just insane. There's weekly lawsuits that run into millions over there and that's taxpayers money paying for the compensation so we're not at that stage by any stretch of the imagination but that still doesn't excuse the practices currently happening in this country.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I generally think they do a fine job aside from football stewardship. I've received some abhorrent treatment despite looking like a 42 year old Harry Potter. Having said that, some have been so thick upon dealing with them that you suspect they'll take absolutely anyone.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:55 pmHaving said that, some have been so thick upon dealing with them that you suspect they'll take absolutely anyone.
Wasn't it a requirement recently that all prospective old bill had to have degrees?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-wo ... the-police
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:58 pm A few bad apples will tarnish the name of the force and create a further divide from the public between the public and the police. What makes it worse is the culture of not calling out bad behaviour of their fellow police from serving officers who know what's going on is bad.

I was listening to the radio on my way home this afternoon, there was a phone in (I know) about this police report. A serving policeman called in and claimed that out of every five officers dismissed from the force, one is due to a member of the public and four are from complaints by other police officers.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 pm Wasn't it a requirement recently that all prospective old bill had to have degrees?

Plenty of thickos at Uni. I got awful A-Level grades but Metropolitan and Colleges gave me offers. I chose to work instead.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 pm Wasn't it a requirement recently that all prospective old bill had to have degrees?

Another complete pointless job to have degree requirements.

Nursing shouldn't need a degree.
Teachers of primary most likely shouldn't need one

The premise that you need to put yourself in massive debt to then flog yourself to death for not the best money in the world

We need more apprenticeships into roles. However the police shouldn't be like that at all. offer pcro positions with careers into pc if your good at it
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Years ago I was working a Supporter Services role for a well known national charity. I took a call from a Police Officer stating that a worried resident reported a "black gentleman" had knocked on her door asking for her bank details. In reality, it was one of our door to door fundraisers for with direct debit forms for a monthly donation (known as chuggers to many.) I confirmed it was entirely legitimate and the Officer said "It's taken me a week to find this information out." All he'd needed to do was call the charity head office and ask to speak to fundraising.

I reported it to my line manager immediately quipping "I'm glad a member of my family hasn't been murdered under their watch." How can you work a job like that and not even have the basic common sense to Google the charity and call them up?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Used to be one rotten apple in a barrel.

Unfortunately it's more like one good apple in a barrel nowadays.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:05 pm Used to be one rotten apple in a barrel.

I’m not sure this is the case.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:39 am Another complete pointless job to have degree requirements.

Teachers of primary most likely shouldn't need one

Why not?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:05 pm Used to be one rotten apple in a barrel.

Not true WHUI, even though at times it feels like it. Certainly though, there is more than one rotten apple in each barrel of police apples now.

Main reasons as given to me by friends of rank in the service or in HR ...

Candidates aren't as good on average as they used to be. Two reasons for that. The job isn't as attractive to enough good quality candidates, as it once was, so doesn't get the same quality of recruit it used to. Consequently to allow for that new reality , the bar isn't anywhere near as high to join as a few years back.

Pay has stagnated for over a decade now - that accelerates the lack of good candidates. Police recruitment was effectively put on hold for the best part of six years meaning people left but weren't sufficiently replaced putting more pressure on those remaining meaning attrition rates went up as a vicious circle wasn't stopped.

This all meant experience and knowledge leeching out of police services. This had consequences. So for example. the average years of service someone had before they started to 'puppy walk' new recruits was less and less meaning the training wasn't as good.

The lack of recruitment followed by a splurge on it these last few years meant standards fell again in order to hit targets that weren't just tough but almost impossible to achieve without further lowing standards including vetting, which obviously was a biggie in yesterday's report. Vetting branches are a fraction of the size they were so even if they wanted to do it properly they can't. I know of one service whose recruitment target was in the dozens. Was then more than tripled without any warning and was later tripled again to ten times the amount they had been expected to get just a couple of months earlier.

When, as in cases like that, you are bringing in literally hundreds more than you would normally bring in, by definition these extra hundred are people who would not normally have made the mark. Of course quality suffers.

So where are we? The 'generation' who have joined these last few years, I'm told is the worst when it comes to discipline, knowing how to do things, and this is the worrying one, integrity. That's not to say they are all terrible - most are still good people and good officers. There are just more bad ones per barrel than I've ever known.

Not often I use the word depressing but yep, I do find this both depressing and predictable - I've mentioned where this will all take us before on here. It'll get worse before it gets better. Some of the things I hear from friends still in service would make your toes curl and make some of yesterday's 'revelations' seem mild.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:05 pmWhy not?
We need more not less teachers. It's a job that can be taught on site if you are the right kind of person

You don't need qualifications to prove so for primary level at least

Putting £1000s in debt to earn not the best wages in the world

Much like nursing

Apprenticeships in teaching, starting as assistants and working way up would be a good start for sure
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Quite frankly, you don't really need degrees to do most jobs. As a society we seem to have made getting a degree the be-all and end-all, when in reality a degree should only exist to allow you to qualify for a certain job by acquiring and demonstrating the skills applicable to that job.

I don't see how trawling twitter to find people who have written mean words fits into that.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63736573

What could possibly go wrong