The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Re: The Police

Post by Tenbury »

I'm really grateful to Pinky. We've all been wondering why we hardly ever see a policeman in this town (pop. 3,800).....

... Of Course,.. .we've no traffic lights.
Last edited by Tenbury on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Amber does not mean stop, it means stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

You should not be slamming on your anchors and skidding to a halt if the lights turn to amber as you approach. You should continue if you deem it unsafe to stop, but should not be passing a red.

So it seems for Pinky both coppers were lying, albeit the older one told a lie by omission.

Either way, both are sneaky shites getting a cheap and easy nick by embellishing "evidence".
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

And while they are doing Pinky for an Amber, there was probably half a dozen uninsured, untaxed motors going past and then doing 80 down near the Weald Road.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Anyways, we are drifting here.....so back on topic=ish.

135,000 uniformed officers for a country of 65m people ain't enough.

Then again, the prisons are full, the courts are backed up, the probation service is on it's knees......
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:31 am My last interaction with the police.

Went through an Amber light at a roundabout. Police car, with two officers in it pulled me over, and after making me get in to the back of their car, gave me the "do you know why we've stopped you" routine.

No, I don't, I replied. The younger of the two then blurted out that it was because i had gone through a red light.

This, I knew, to be a lie.

I had deliberately, and conciously, driven through an Amber light, in the belief that Amber meant, proceed with caution.

The elder officer, after I had explained this, said, no, Amber meant stop.

Fair enough, not for me to argue, other than on their own little issue.

The lie. The lie told by the younger police officer. The elder officer knew he was lying, she was careful with her words, sussing out early that once I had admitted to the Amber there was a conflicting story.

She, to her credit, wasn't prepared to join in telling a lie. Good for her.

In the end, the younger guy, once he realised his fellow officer wasn't going to lie to back up his version of events, tried to soften it all with the "i'm going to recommend you go for driver training ( the thing where you sit in a room and get talked down to for 4 hours)".

Which of course, came through in the post as a straight 3 points.

Telling lies to book a driver for a traffic offence. What would that officer do to nail a serial killer?

There's the police's issue.
And that is why, my friend you need a dashcam. It can prove in situations like this that you are right, go to court and once you're found not guilty sue the aris of the old bill.

Contrary to popular belief, I like the police, but I hate bad policing. It needs to be called out and shown up for what it is, disgraceful behaviour
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:22 pm Anyways, we are drifting here.....so back on topic=ish.

135,000 uniformed officers for a country of 65m people ain't enough.

Then again, the prisons are full, the courts are backed up, the probation service is on it's knees......
Even worse for 68.8m
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Samba wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:02 pm Even worse for 68.8m
We can add to that an estimated 800,000 to 1.2 million people here illegally, all of whom, by definition, are criminals. Putting those criminals to one side we only have a finite number of habitual wrong uns, build more prisons and put those inside for far longer sentences then the crime rate will plummet........
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

delbert wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:40 pm We can add to that an estimated 800,000 to 1.2 million people here illegally, all of whom, by definition, are criminals. Putting those criminals to one side we only have a finite number of habitual wrong uns, build more prisons and put those inside for far longer sentences then the crime rate will plummet........
Who'd be a screw in this day and age?
Samba

Post by Samba »

delbert wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:40 pm We can add to that an estimated 800,000 to 1.2 million people here illegally, all of whom, by definition, are criminals. Putting those criminals to one side we only have a finite number of habitual wrong uns, build more prisons and put those inside for far longer sentences then the crime rate will plummet........
You would hope so..
Samba

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm Who'd be a screw in this day and age?
Wouldn't do it if you paid me..
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Samba wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 pm Wouldn't do it if you paid me..
Me neither.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Alarming to say the least ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64915126
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

A report commissioned by the Met itself seems to be being rejected by the Met ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... sey-report

Rowley talks the talk better but is repeating the same mistake as Cressida Dick. For the sake of short-term objective of gaining his troops support he is bringing forward what now increasingly feels like the inevitable demise of the Met. Still, if he gets out before it does actually go pop, he'll have thought he's had a result.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Or address the root and branch issues that make people turn to crime - poverty, underfunded services, poor mental health care availability and so on - rather than beating those that offend out of necessity and/or boredom with a stick.

Not suggesting that'll stop crime, but there are a number of, generally petty, crimes that result in prison time being served where a less punitive sentence could and should be sought than prison time. I recall at some point in time reading that something like 18 parents had been imprisoned for not ensuring their kids go to school - surely a pointless imprisonment that outright wastes space and resources?

Longer sentences are not believed to deter crime and reoffending, whereas restorative justice has been proven, by a report commissioned by the MoJ, to offer promising results thay reduces reoffending, be beneficial for victims, and ultimately save money.

https://restorativejustice.org.uk/resou ... 0situation.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Positive news day for the Met today. What a disgrace.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

I don't buy into the poverty = crime, if that was the case then everyone who was on their uppers would be out robbing and the vast majority of them ain't. As I've posted before you can have a street where everyone is skint, but it will only be one or two families that will be causing all the grief.
Right with you with the poor mental health issues, that alone ties up a considerable amount of police time.
Prison should be first and foremost for the protection of the public from those who would do them harm (and / or steal from them). For that reason alone the 18 parents in your example shouldn't be in there, even if it was as a last resort for not paying fines etc.
Longer sentences may not deter, but they will protect the public from a persistent offender for longer, they're not re-offending at all whilst they're inside serving 5 years for burglary. Plus, imagine what sort of rehabilitation they could receive in there, that's enough time for a full apprenticeship, not some Micky Mouse decorators course......
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:52 am .

Not suggesting that'll stop crime, but there are a number of, generally petty, crimes that result in prison time being served where a less punitive sentence could and should be sought than prison time. I recall at some point in time reading that something like 18 parents had been imprisoned for not ensuring their kids go to school - surely a pointless imprisonment that outright wastes space and resources?

https://restorativejustice.org.uk/resou ... 0situation.
Parents aren't imprisoned at the first sign of a problem. It takes years of repeated offence, failure to engage with authorities and unpaid fines before it gets anywhere near prison.

Restorative justice requires engagement by the parties involved. The issue of seemingly small matters becoming prison sentences is usually down to the guilty party failing to participate in the process.

We are currently in a dispute with a builder. We have been ignored for coming up to a year, we were stood up twice at arranged mediation hearings, he didn't turn up to the court hearing and made no attempt to pay the judgement. The next step comes with a possible custodial for contempt (he would need to ignore a number of summonses first).

So about 10 opportunities down the line he could end up in prison for a minor (in the scheme of things) matter. That's not the system being overly harsh, if anything it's been massively in his favour to try and avoid escalation.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-65032910

This sort of thing is what the system is up against.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Seems everyone wants to stick the knife in.
Good Morning Britain,this morning had an Aussie bloke encouraging British coppers to up sticks and move to Oz. He even had a an ex Kent copper saying how much better itvwas out there.
Now I am pretty despondent with the modern Police force, particularly the Met. But acknowledge we need a decent one ,the to get back the public's confidence and restore believe in the decent serving officers.
Is one of our national television programmes,a day after the damning results of the enquiry were released having a recruitment drive for Australia the way forward?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:31 am My last interaction with the police.

Went through an Amber light at a roundabout. Police car, with two officers in it pulled me over, and after making me get in to the back of their car, gave me the "do you know why we've stopped you" routine.

No, I don't, I replied. The younger of the two then blurted out that it was because i had gone through a red light.

This, I knew, to be a lie.

I had deliberately, and conciously, driven through an Amber light, in the belief that Amber meant, proceed with caution.

The elder officer, after I had explained this, said, no, Amber meant stop.

Fair enough, not for me to argue, other than on their own little issue.

The lie. The lie told by the younger police officer. The elder officer knew he was lying, she was careful with her words, sussing out early that once I had admitted to the Amber there was a conflicting story.

She, to her credit, wasn't prepared to join in telling a lie. Good for her.

In the end, the younger guy, once he realised his fellow officer wasn't going to lie to back up his version of events, tried to soften it all with the "i'm going to recommend you go for driver training ( the thing where you sit in a room and get talked down to for 4 hours)".

Which of course, came through in the post as a straight 3 points.

Telling lies to book a driver for a traffic offence. What would that officer do to nail a serial killer?

There's the police's issue.
1980 before the cup final myself and two mates were walking to the fruit shop to buy our cup final programme. (Don't ask as I will never know why Mintys sold them).

On way we seen a chrome car door handle on the road. The sort you might see on say a triumph stag or retro car events.

I said that coube dangerous or give someone a puncture. I picked it up and threw it in the hedge.

An unmarked car pulled over with a uniformed woman cop in it. Berated me for throwing things in the road. I told her the story but she said I was calling g her a liar and threatened to take us all down the police station.

She didn't but I hope the sad woman got the thrill she wanted for scaring some innocent ten year olds off.

Funny the things you remember.