The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: The Police

Post by delbert »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm As with politicians - anyone who wants to join the police force probably shouldn’t be allowed to.
That would make recruitment interesting.

"Why do want to join the police service"?

"I don't, I'm only here to change the jam rag bin in the ladies bogs"

"You're in, report to Hendon on Monday"
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Absolutely disgusting and shocking ...

Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

The Met doing their best to humiliate and intimidate as per.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/de ... dApp_Other
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:59 pm The Met doing their best to humiliate and intimidate as per.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/de ... dApp_Other

Disgraceful behaviour.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

“Drug paraphernalia was seen inside the vehicle and as subject being spoken to, an unknown male looked to be approaching the subject’s vehicle and ran [out of] sight of police. Believe to be a possible drug deal.”
Not "we suspected" or "were led to believe". That's a definitive statement that they saw drug paraphernalia in the car. Surely any defence the police have should be thrown out of court unless they are showing those items?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:37 pm Not "we suspected" or "were led to believe". That's a definitive statement that they saw drug paraphernalia in the car. Surely any defence the police have should be thrown out of court unless they are showing those items?
To be honest, anything could be classed as drug paraphernalia, soft drink bottle or can, a pen, some cardboard, Rizlas - even a lighter! Did they specify what type of drug paraphernalia? If not, then it really is just an excuse to search people, just like Section 43 of the Terrorism act is widely abused by the police to search you but not nearly as much as Section 5 of the Public Order act is abused by police to nick someone. An inspector recently arrested someone who called him a "muppet" and (quite rightly) the case was dropped and the arrestee claimed off the police is a civil case.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Something the Police are getting right (albeit by stealth) is the approach to drugs. Be much better if the whole system was aligned around it to take full advantage of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I had a very unhealthy disdain for the police for many many years, but over time and knowing one in our group of friends now it has subsided some what.

I have one friend and a family member that done time late 80's, early 90's for crimes they did not commit, now don't get me wrong, they made money through crime so some would say they deserved it, and I would get that argument but they went to prison for something they both did not commit.

Dave's post earlier in the thread was excellent. From our friend, the quality of candidate has declined hugely, there are far more good than bad Police, but the number of bad has reason significantly over the last 10 years for a number of reasons.

She (Police) does say, and something I agree on fully from past experience that far too many Police are incredibly obnoxious, arrogant, and have a way that the people they talk to are beneath them, which in her words, is one of the big issues in the force nowadays as they do not help themselves.

The wattsapp groups are everywhere, and what they share/say is not PC at all, but to counter that, what they all have to go through they use it as coping mechanism, as many see and have to deal with some horrible **** as you could imagine. Mental Health issues on their calls takes up a huge % of their time, and they often have to leave vulnerable people vulnerable as support services are broken.

The degree thing is laughable in her words, and I find that in the private sector as well. A balanced individual that wants to get on will be far better.

Sexism is rife, but only if you let it according to her, you have to be incredibly strong and stand your ground and give more back, it then calms down.

I think the Police do pretty much an impossible job nowadays due to society going down the toilet, CPS in a mess, they have my sympathy, but there is much they can do to improve internally.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

A pretty serious piece of arson was committed in my road a few weeks ago at 8pm at night.

Not one knock at the door or follow up whatsoever. No wonder car crime etc is through the roof here.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:05 am I have one friend and a family member that done time late 80's, early 90's for crimes they did not commit, now don't get me wrong, they made money through crime so some would say they deserved it, and I would get that argument but they went to prison for something they both did not commit.
Without knowing (or wishing to know) what happened, it's surely the Courts who sent them to prison and not the police? Legal representatives who prosecuted and the judge who handed down the custodial sentence.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It might be worse now but arrogant policemen aren't a new phenomenon.

Got a mate who joined from sixth form. Overnight almost he turned into the guy Liam Gallagher modelled his walk on. He came down for a night out when I was at uni and walked to the front of the queue at a club flashing his warrant card about. He got in before he twigged we hadn't followed him, was stood for half an hour waiting for us as everyone he had walked past walked past him stood in the doorway lol
The Overlook
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Overlook »

smuts wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:52 pm A pretty serious piece of arson was committed in my road a few weeks ago at 8pm at night.

Not one knock at the door or follow up whatsoever. No wonder car crime etc is through the roof here.
Maybe they have enough information already?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Been stopped and searched a couple of times. Never had an issue with it but then I never carry weapons or drugs. Maybe there’s a direct correlation to people who do have an issue with it?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

The Overlook wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:31 pm Maybe they have enough information already?
They don't. The victims are still waiting for them to return and give a more detailed statement as the coppers on the night spent 5 minutes at the scene before rushing off as they were busy...
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Arrested for praying ... don't the police even question themselves on what they're doing?

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

He played for Chelsea didn't he? Now a big religious man like Johnny Moncur
The Overlook

Post by The Overlook »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:49 am Arrested for praying ... don't the police even question themselves on what they're doing?
I watched the video.

The officer refers to one of these:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... rs/enacted

And there will be conditions attached. It sounds like she is suspected of breaching the conditions on the day, and previously. Her refusing to attend a voluntary interview gives a necessity for arrest. I don't think he arrested her for praying inside her head.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Denbighammer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:08 am He played for Chelsea didn't he? Now a big religious man like Johnny Moncur
Chelsea, QPR and Newcastle as far as I remember.
The Overlook wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:25 am I don't think he arrested her for praying inside her head.
Why did he ask her if she was praying though? To incriminate her no doubt.
The Overlook

Post by The Overlook »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:27 pm Why did he ask her if she was praying though? To incriminate her no doubt.
I would imagine it's relevant to the conditions of the PSPO.

Hypothetically?

Maybe something about prayers of an obscene/offensive nature related to abortion outside an abortion clinic.

The clipped video gives no context. Good for retweets though. Hopefully the force concerned puts a statement out explaining.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Overlook wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:47 pm I would imagine it's relevant to the conditions of the PSPO.

Hypothetically?

Maybe something about prayers of an obscene/offensive nature related to abortion outside an abortion clinic.

The clipped video gives no context. Good for retweets though. Hopefully the force concerned puts a statement out explaining.
The worrying about this (and I'm not religious) is that praying can be criminalised in certain contexts and the police can (and do) enforce this. I'd also say that using anti-social behaviour powers can be used against those who are peacefully demonstrating. I agree there may be a different context from what I'm seeing here, but on the face of it, it's worrying IMO.