The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: The Police

Post by delbert »

Similar to my place, we had a police station sensibly located in the town centre, that closed and was replaced by little police outposts dotted around the borough, I've yet to see one of these staffed. We've now got a super station located on an industrial estate where no one can easily get to, it's like they're doing all they can to hide from the public......
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Glad to have Officer Dibble here giving us an insight.

I used to be more supportive of the police than I am now, probably through all the news about the Met. I remember being called out to an alarm incident at my work and the officer claimed he had been called to our premises the night before. We didn't have an alarm the previous night but politely suggested he may have been mistaken. His eyes widened, he looked evil and spat out that I was trying to call him a liar. I of course apologised, and kept my conversation just about the matter in hand. It disturbed me a bit.

The flashing at mcdonalds incidents are of massive concern as it seems some officers knew but didn't follow up.

I'm happy to leave too much comment though until the full investigation has finished.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

The five cops who beat Tyre Nichols to death last month all pleaded Not Guilty today with the lawyer for one of them saying...

"Let’s not forget that my client is a Black man in a courtroom in America.”

That's right, he's playing the race card. I'm not sure if that's the smartest move but I'm just a shop worker stacking shelves, not a high flying defence lawyer.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... hols-death
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Katie Price has thrown herself back into the ‘news’ due to the work of a Police WhatsApp group. Great.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Arnold Layne wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:41 am Katie Price has thrown herself back into the ‘news’ due to the work of a Police WhatsApp group. Great.
No coincidence she has a new TV show starting on TV what so ever :chin:
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 am No coincidence she has a new TV show starting on TV what so ever :chin:
Perfect timing, isn’t it?
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

You think the Police released the news to coincide with her TV show?
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

She got a letter, I don’t know how long she waited to announce it.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

You're right, you don't. A quick Google shows she's sat on it since 26th January 2023.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Good to have you back Dibbles :newthumb:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:05 pm How can this be allowed to happen?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/met-police-o ... Wqf_WvXgeM
They may have misheard and think it's three strokes and you're out! :oops:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I see the Fire Service is under the hammer in many areas of the country now as well.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

It's good to see Officer Dibble is back posting. I've always enjoyed reading your point of view on things.

I do wonder though why anyone would bother joining the police these days. It seems like a completely thankless job and impossible job.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:20 am It's good to see Officer Dibble is back posting. I've always enjoyed reading your point of view on things.

I do wonder though why anyone would bother joining the police these days. It seems like a completely thankless job and impossible job.
isn't that also true about most of the old guard 'decent' (read job for life) type jobs? i.e., teaching, nursing, fireman, etc.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Officer Dibble wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:43 am Up and down the Country there will be Police Officers dealing with these types of incidents, they will go beyond what they are meant to do to TRY to provide victims of crime with the justice they deserve. None of this will be reported in the news because it isn't interesting/ juicy or a scandal.
Glad to see you popping back Dibbs. :newthumb:

I've mentioned before my brother in law is Met. Sadly he is falling into the all too familiar characteristic of working too many hours dealing with **** situations which has been affecting his young families life and his mental health for some time . 20 years child protection and serious crime has taken its toll. His team of 6 has been running at 3-4 people since before lockdown, last week him and a junior detective did a week of nights covering their area - Bethnal Green. During lockdown he was going through DI training but he has stopped that, he's now looking at doing his last 10 years in the training teams or somewhere else more office based with less shift work, or leaving all together.

A thankless job indeed Sendo.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm not sure how those boys & girls do the child protection stuff, would break me very quickly. I doff my cap to them all, and indeed, a thankless task.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:55 am I'm not sure how those boys & girls do the child protection stuff, would break me very quickly. I doff my cap to them all, and indeed, a thankless task.
Was at a mates wedding years ago in Stevenage,and one of the guests was an ex copper who dealt with the child sex cases. It did break him,he freely admitted it. He was still having help several years after leaving the force. Lovely bloke as well.
I couldn't do it,no way.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

woodgreenspur wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:29 am Was at a mates wedding years ago in Stevenage,and one of the guests was an ex copper who dealt with the child sex cases. It did break him,he freely admitted it. He was still having help several years after leaving the force. Lovely bloke as well.
I couldn't do it,no way.
I couldn't do it. My wife sees this stuff often working in a primary school. Often, teachers are the first to identify it outside of the child's family (who are often the cause of the harm).

She obviously doesn't get as involved or exposed to it as a police investigator would, but she's had to deal with child abuse (physical and sexual), 12 year old being pregnant due to her step-dad, kids with burns, scars, malnourished, fearful of being picked up to go home.

Hats off to anyone that does any line of work like that.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:37 am isn't that also true about most of the old guard 'decent' (read job for life) type jobs? i.e., teaching, nursing, fireman, etc.
Yes, it seems to be a theme that any job funded by government that is ostensibly there to help people ultimately gets reduced to the absolute bare minimum and relies on the good nature of people doing those jobs often giving up their own time and money in order to keep things going.