The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Re: The Police

Post by Shabu »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 am Completely agree. However, when your country is so f*cked up that 6 year olds sometimes take guns to school, it's a bit easier to understand why the police over there are so on edge all the time. You'd have thought maybe some Yanks at least would be bright enough to realise that there might be some sort of link between their gun laws ("Get 'em at Walmart, kids!") and the impact on other areas of life. But apparently not. And so it goes on ...
Spot on Pete.

The police are not THE problem, just a symptom of the bigger problem.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Friend or Foé wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:21 am Please don’t take this the wrong way, but this is the reaction that really should have happened following the murder of George Floyd. The realisation of the pure thuggish nature and abuse of power that appears inherently cast within the US police departments.
There is still obviously racists within that organisation, as there is in most places, but that ain’t the big problem. Quite clearly the abuse of power is by far the biggest problem over there. Unfortunately, since the George Floyd reaction taking a racist route, I feel we’ve all been wrongly tarred and society has been unnecessarily diminished as a result.
Anyhow, what exactly was this guy being pulled over for ?
:clap: spot on mate. That's the crux of the issue along with inadequate training, the fact that sacked police officers can become police officers in other states and the poor leadership, which obviously trickles down to the rank and file.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:14 pm White on Black racism isn't the issue this time so what caused it? Just crazy.
Oh that wont stop that narrative being used.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opin ... index.html

The video of his besting is shocking btw. At one point two cops are holding him up whilst another swings a baton at his head as hard as he can.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Good article that IMHO
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:53 pm Oh that wont stop that narrative being used.

He's right, too
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:53 pm Oh that wont stop that narrative being used.

The video of his besting is shocking btw. At one point two cops are holding him up whilst another swings a baton at his head as hard as he can.
At the end of the day, it is the race of the victim who is brutalized — not the race of the violent cop — that is most relevant in determining whether racial bias is a factor in police violence.
No doubt true, but a convenient change of tune for some.......
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I worked in a ghetto area in north Miami & it really is a war zone mentality.

I can't blame the police for having the mindset that they do just as I can't blame the people that live there for having the mindset that they do. It's been ingrained in generations stretching back centuries.

Instead of blame we need to look at real solutions but I'm f*cked if I know what they are. Maybe the answer lies in Northern Ireland who for years had serious problems but seem to have generally gotten a grasp on things (I don't really know how true that is*).

Unfortunately Mr Nichols seems to have been a civilian who ended up in a war zone situation, a war zone that should not exist in this day & age.

* - I do remember reading that 30 odd years ago N.I. was split into about 66% of people there saying they were British & about 34% thought of themselves as Irish. Now it's different as the majority think of themselves as Northern Irish first & foremost rather than beholden to the other two countries. If true that's great. Be loyal to the soil as they say over here :grin:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Tyre Nichols: Police unit is disbanded after death
The Memphis Police Department has disbanded the so-called Scorpion special unit, whose officers are accused of murdering Tyre Nichols.

Scorpion stands for "Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods".

The unit is a 50-person unit with the mission of bringing down crime levels in particular areas.

But now it is being abolished after its officers were seen beating Mr Nichols, 29, in the videos from 7 January.

In a statement, the department said "it is in the best interest of all to permanently deactivate" the unit.

"While the heinous actions of a few casts a cloud of dishonour on the title Scorpion, it is imperative that we, the Memphis Police Department, take proactive steps in the healing process for all impacted," it added.

more...
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Who comes up with these acronyms?

Scorpion ffs...

Why not Pillow?

Police In love. Leave Only Warmth.

There you go. There's the next special patrol group.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:46 am . There's the next special patrol group.
Sorry, not to take anything away from the heinous actions of a cowardly rabble in police uniforms, but over this side of the pond there's 3 words that explain the attitude to British policing from many of my generation.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Tenbury wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:51 am Sorry, not to take anything away from the heinous actions of a cowardly rabble in police uniforms, but over this side of the pond there's 3 words that explain the attitude to British policing from many of my generation.
Mate, I know all about the SPG & their special vans.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Somebody's going to ask the question at some point, so it might as well be me.

Tyre Nicholas seemed like a nice chap. I wonder if he'd still be alive if he was white?
sword
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by sword »

Statistically, who knows. As a black citizen, he had about 40% chance of survival compared to a white citizen, Hispanics have about 90% chance survival compared to white population. For more info: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:39 am Somebody's going to ask the question at some point, so it might as well be me.

Tyre Nicholas seemed like a nice chap. I wonder if he'd still be alive if he was white?
Probably, yes
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Some bad stories starting to come out about the police chief... Makes you wonder if there wasn't footage on a corner camera, would this of ever come out?

Not entirely sure how you move jobs like that with previous either.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/memphis-p ... vious-job/
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I"m halfway through watching the BBC documentary - Fight the Power, How Hip Hop Changed the World.

Seems to me that not a lot has changed since the 50s in terms of law enforcement beating the f*** and shooting black men.

I think that the only thing that I find surprising, is people's surprise that it still goes on. It's been my view for some time now that there is a huge misnomer that we are far more enlightened and progressive than the previous generation. This may be the case in terms of technological advances, but humans are stupid and don't learn from their mistakes. The primal nature of humans still remains.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

djclipz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:06 amNot entirely sure how you move jobs like that with previous either.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/memphis-p ... vious-job/
Easily in the USA. Bad police seem to be just fired and then join another force (unless of course they are convicted of a crime). It's endemic in the world of USA law enforcement.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Shabu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:27 pm I worked in a ghetto area in north Miami & it really is a war zone mentality.

I can't blame the police for having the mindset that they do just as I can't blame the people that live there for having the mindset that they do. It's been ingrained in generations stretching back centuries.

Instead of blame we need to look at real solutions but I'm f*cked if I know what they are. Maybe the answer lies in Northern Ireland who for years had serious problems but seem to have generally gotten a grasp on things (I don't really know how true that is*).

Unfortunately Mr Nichols seems to have been a civilian who ended up in a war zone situation, a war zone that should not exist in this day & age.

* - I do remember reading that 30 odd years ago N.I. was split into about 66% of people there saying they were British & about 34% thought of themselves as Irish. Now it's different as the majority think of themselves as Northern Irish first & foremost rather than beholden to the other two countries. If true that's great. Be loyal to the soil as they say over here :grin:
It's about 19% that see themselves as Northern Irish only,the rest (who don't see themselves as Irish)are British and Northern Irish.
As for getting a grasp on the violence,the bombings etc you are correct. But it's still a fairly divided community,to a point. There is still violence but it doesn't make the news like during the troubles.
As I have said before,I am a frequent visitor to Norn Iron(it's my second home) and whilst not an expert (no person exists),I think I understand the part of the community(Unionist) I stay with when overr there as well as most other Englishmen.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:39 am Somebody's going to ask the question at some point, so it might as well be me.

The most important thing to us is that he’d still be alive if he lived here.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Surely if he died because of his colour you would have noticed more premier league footballers making gestures.