The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Re: The Police

Post by bonzosbeard »

The misogynistic attitude with police has to go. We've all changed in the workplace and it's not the 70s anymore.

By the way the traffic light defence has always been known as 'they were amber your honour'.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I move in mostly blue collar company. In all honesty, the attitudes that this review has shone a light on would be ridiculed, and these aren't even slightly 'woke' people.
Which rocks are they looking under to recruit these knuckle draggers? They've rarely had my kind on side, but (IMO) they've lost the woman in the street, as such they're not fit for purpose........ rip it up and start again.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Think the "Old Bill" just reflect society...Most of us are law abiding,thoughtful,caring etc....some of us have a don't give a s**t attitude,
look after No 1....there's a very small minority among us that are in a word.. Nasty.

Seen and met some amazing coppers,on the whole most of them,but have met and seen/heard of some with real bad attitudes.

Toughest job out there an inner city copper,lots of sympathy for them,well 95% of them.

You would expect like Nursing,Policing would be vocational..so would expect less of the "uncaring" types,so that's disappointing,
maybe something to with,having to employ,based on sex,religion and colour,as opposed to the best person for the job.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

1 woman with a banner and 1 accredited journalist. The Met had an absolute shocker yesterday.

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

The Met are a walking parody these days. It is in need of serious reform.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

When asked to put away a camera, phone, etc are you obligated to do so?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammers92 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:19 pm The Met are a walking parody these days. It is in need of serious reform.
They should take lessons off West Midlands or South Yorkshire. Proper Police Forces.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:03 pm When asked to put away a camera, phone, etc are you obligated to do so?
No, you are allowed to film anywhere and anything in a public place. the police have no power to stop you. They can, however, request the footage if the believe that it may contain evidence that a crime has been committed.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Last week Mrs RR was threatened by a seller online on buy and sell clothes site Vinted. She received an item that was Jekyll so she reported to Vinted for a refund. She got a message back with a picture of our house; a warning that they were going to come and get their money and she should warn her family about their safety, followed by them saying they were going to bring tools and a picture of a hand holding a Glock 17.

After being on hold for over an hour with 101 and obviously a little shaken she decided to call 999. With an hpir we had 2 coppers on the door step. One took a statement the itger checked over the house. They have flagged our numbers so were we to call 999 then armed back up would be put on standby. They said that altbogh its likely a keyboard warrior she was right to call and any threat that involves a firearm is taken very seriously.

They were thoroughly professional, grateful that I made them a cup.of tea and saiid after a day of chasing weed dealers down Brentwood High Street it was nice to sit down.

The west ham fan got my mug, the Newcastle fan and ex Royal Anglian got a bog standard mug and a bit of ribbing fir being a glory hunter.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Not sharing it but video out there of a group of police in Poplar (I think) having to shoot two dogs belonging to a homeless guy and then tasing him when he kicks off. Sounds as though at least one of the dogs had earlier bitten a woman in the street.

Just a shitty situation for everyone involved.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:11 pm 1 woman with a banner and 1 accredited journalist. The Met had an absolute shocker yesterday.

We are effectively living in a police state which has been ushered in by stealth by this scumbag government. Labour's recent statement that they won't reverse the new laws on protests tells you all you need to know about government and opposition's attitude towards the electorate.

Democracy ... it's a charade.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

I wonder how far up the chain the order comes down from? Surely it's not those officers' making a choice of arresting a single woman and her banner..
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

I have little or no respect for the Met.Yes,there are good officers(like what richieRich highlighted above,and the fella i met when discussing a charity thing i was doing)) but as an organisation...
I feel the exact opposite when ever i have came into contact with the City of London though.Dont know what it is,but they inspire a lot more confidence in me.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 pm Not sharing it but video out there of a group of police in Poplar (I think) having to shoot two dogs belonging to a homeless guy and then tasing him when he kicks off. Sounds as though at least one of the dogs had earlier bitten a woman in the street.

Just a shitty situation for everyone involved.
Someone will be along shortly to blame the police!
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Macca1973 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:37 pm Someone will be along shortly to blame the police!
According to a Daily Mail article, the woman wasn’t bitten by a dog, she got tangled in the leads and fell over where her dog was attacked by the other dogs. Sounds like the women overreacted and call the police who then shot the dogs. It does seem a little over the top to be shooting animals on the towpath.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... auled.html
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by Prob »

It’s time to break the Met up. It can not carrying on the role it has as being the national police as well as the police force for London. It needs all the national stuff such as terrorism, protections and other high profile stuff away from it. So it can just be a police force for London

There is no accountability in the Met with its senior officers, even down to the most senior officer at the local level.

We have lost the idea of being policed by consent
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Let's face it, this **** was bound to happen as soon as they allowed fast track careers in the old bill.

Officers having spent years on the beat, earned their stripes and then promoted up the ranks were usurped by graduates with meaningless degrees who were more in love with the idea of promotion than they were policing. Who were actually put in charge of those who actually know what they are doing.

I know a couple of met officers out of Forest Gate. They are old school and have told me the newer recruits don't want to walk the beat just drive around when they get a shout (which is allowed by 'management'). One of them has it doubly as hard as he is black and has said he has had more racist abuse by the general public - mainly black - than ever in the Met.

I wouldn't do his job. f*** that.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

The inquiry into the murder of Daniel Morgan rightly ruled the Met to be “institutionally corrupt”. Now documents relating to the case have incredibly belatedly turned up. Yet again the Met think another sorry will do …

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/met-poli ... t-12877648
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:41 pm Let's face it, this **** was bound to happen as soon as they allowed fast track careers in the old bill.

Officers having spent years on the beat, earned their stripes and then promoted up the ranks were usurped by graduates with meaningless degrees who were more in love with the idea of promotion than they were policing. Who were actually put in charge of those who actually know what they are doing.

I know a couple of met officers out of Forest Gate. They are old school and have told me the newer recruits don't want to walk the beat just drive around when they get a shout (which is allowed by 'management'). One of them has it doubly as hard as he is black and has said he has had more racist abuse by the general public - mainly black - than ever in the Met.

I wouldn't do his job. **** that.
Cressida Dick, oversaw the wrongful shooting of Menendez, but still got promoted in a blatant demonstration of box ticking trumping incompetence. It didn't go from police force to police service, it went to from force to farce.......
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

There is almost some poetic justice that the people now being affected by the police with the protests are the same people that would be classist and sneer at football fans etc when they complained about how we've been treated for years and years like criminals at times, still even these days etc forced to get tickets away from grounds

On the whole the police are like any other company, some good, some bad, it's a thankless task for the money, a bit like teaching if it was so easy why aren't more people willing to do it, it's probably even harder these days with everything being filmed