European Current Affairs (non UK)

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Re: European Current Affairs (non UK)

Post by -DL- »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:50 pm

Can't think of a greater good than preserving humanity's chances of living on Earth.
Why is humanity on this earth a greater good? The earth would be a far better place with out us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

France bans internal air flights on journeys that take under 2.5 hours by train: https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/12/ ... -proposals
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Interesting in the context of our domestic discussions about our health service: "Endless crisis" in healthcare in France
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Seems a wholly insurance based health service isn't the answer the Rightie's say it is then :chin:

More common sense from the EU, acting boldly to limit deforestation by prohibiting the import of commodities linked to deforestation, insisting their origins can be traced using geolocation data.

EU ban on deforestation-linked goods sets benchmark

USA lawmakers praising the move and plan to follow suit, our lots consultation closed last March "However, secondary legislation has not yet been added to the Environment Act"
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:27 am Seems a wholly insurance based health service isn't the answer the Rightie's say it is then :chin:
People often quote France as an exemplar on public spending on health as well - and the Germans.

The Irish are having the same problems as well.

I suspect the evidence flowing in from all over the place is proof of a much deeper-rooted problem with western healthcare models than simply funding, irrespective of the source.

There's a fundamental mismatch between what these services are actually capable of doing and what people are asking for.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

"The EU says this will in effect prohibit the import of commodities such as beef, soya, palm oil, coffee, cocoa, rubber, charcoal and paper, and derived products, unless their origins can be traced, using geolocation data."

Look suspiciously like they are trying to dictate to the third world again, doesn't it?

At what point do the likes of Brazil retaliate, much like the Russians cutting off the oil and gas?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2650 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:12 pm "The EU says this will in effect prohibit the import of commodities such as beef, soya, palm oil, coffee, cocoa, rubber, charcoal and paper, and derived products, unless their origins can be traced, using geolocation data."

Look suspiciously like they are trying to dictate to the third world again, doesn't it?

At what point do the likes of Brazil retaliate, much like the Russians cutting off the oil and gas?
It doesn’t look to me like they are dictating anything. It is saying if you want to sell x in our market you need to meet certain standards. The Americans and the EU have loads of child labour laws on things like this, I don’t see those as dictating either.

If the Brazilians or whoever want to retaliate then that’s up to them.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Some proper reaching there to show the EU as big nasty dictators.

Personally I think it's a good thing that the likes of Brazil can't just destroy acres of Rain forest to sell some paper and will have to do it responsibly.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's another of those examples that fits the third world maxim - "When the Chinese come, they give us a hospital; when the Europeans come, they give us a lecture"

The Brazillians would be perfectly within their rights to say . "don't tell us we can't develop our economies, reforest your own land", wouldn't they?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:48 pm It's another of those examples that fits the third world maxim - "When the Chinese come, they give us a hospital; when the Europeans come, they give us a lecture"

The Brazillians would be perfectly within their rights to say . "don't tell us we can't develop our economies, reforest your own land", wouldn't they?
Yes. So let them.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

smuts wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:38 pm Some proper reaching there to show the EU as big nasty dictators.

Personally I think it's a good thing that the likes of Brazil can't just destroy acres of Rain forest to sell some paper and will have to do it responsibly.
The main reasons for deforestation in Brazil are to make way for cattle ranching and for soyabean farming. The EU could make an impact by not importing their beef and soya, assuming their protectionist principles allow it in the first place.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:28 pm The main reasons for deforestation in Brazil are to make way for cattle ranching and for soyabean farming. The EU could make an impact by not importing their beef and soya, assuming their protectionist principles allow it in the first place.
That’s basically what they are doing.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:28 pm The main reasons for deforestation in Brazil are to make way for cattle ranching and for soyabean farming. The EU could make an impact by not importing their beef and soya, assuming their protectionist principles allow it in the first place.
That's just if you look at the legal data. A huge cause of deforestation in South America is Cocaine production. In Colombia, since 2001 they reckon 740 million acres of forest have been destroyed to produce Cocaine...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Looking like the German police fumbled a great chance to stop the mass shooting in Hamburg last week.

Got an anonymous tip off about the shooter. The caller said he was talking about targeting religious groups and an old employer. And most importantly had written these threats in a book he published. Police investigated, searched the guys home and his online profiles. In doing so they somehow missed an Amazon link for the book on his personal website and LinkedIn.

Very good chance the contents would have allowed them to revoke his gun licence and take away his guns.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Looks like he was part of the God Squad til he got expelled.

"Some have claimed that a 306-page book he self-published in December led to his expulsion from the church.

In the book, titled 'The Truth About God, Jesus Christ and Satan: A New Reflected View of Epochal Dimensions', Fusz interprets the Russian invasion of Ukraine as God's cleansing of Ukrainian sex workers."

A faulty Google Search mentioned by the Hamburg Chief of Police as a reason they missed the online clues. :shock:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:40 pm The Americans and the EU have loads of child labour laws on things like this, I don’t see those as dictating either.
Laws are one thing, obeying them is another.....

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... n-hyundai/
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

I dislocated my shoulder recently and an ambulance turned up within 10 minutes and I was seen immediately upon reaching hospital. I doubt very much this would have happened back in the U.K. yet some on here want to have digs at the French health system. I’ve had nothing but good experiences since I moved here.

Re: the pension reform demonstrations. France will still have the lowest pension age in Europe if it’s raised to 64 (I’m going to have to wait until I’m 67 to get my U.K. state pension). I love the fact the French get on the streets and protest when they aren’t happy about the erosion of their rights. With what has been going on in the U.K. over the last ten years the Brits should take a leaf out of the French’s book and start ‘going off’ more.

Keep having a bash at the rest of Europe though Bubbs. This seems to be the sole reason you created this thread.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Is it really "an erosion of their rights" though? People are living longer. The original calculation of the state pension scheme will have factored people living to a certain age. Realistically, that calculation has now changed. The pension age must go up otherwise all our grandchildren will end up paying for it.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Can’t imagine why the French haven’t run a budget surplus in my lifetime.

This is a big thing for Macron. His presidency will look like a bit of a lame duck if he fails.