⚽ West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (6/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

The holding midfield and the RB as well as three forwards....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

WCpete wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:51 pm All is well. Nothing to see here.

Wow. This gets better and better eh. Clearly there's still an ongoing issue between Moyes and Benrahma. And that's just what we see on a match day.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 pm Image

you know mate, and I'm sure 60K fans in the ground as well as the thousands watching around the world went a collective

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still seething today.......

I mean, and of course we are all only hypothesizing, ANY other choice than the one he made should have resulted in at worst, a corner. at best a goal.

I know it resulted in a goal for them, but I'm still tossing up whether that shockingly awful dive trying to win an penalty was worse than this.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 pm
Not sure what this post is about but now that I'm reminded of that situation, just to add my own thoughts on it...

Shame it took till the last minute of injury time for us to really go all out and try and score a goal in a football match that we wanted to win. If he'd moved all midfield up 20 yards to press, we might have just controlled the game and had more than 1-2 chances on target.

But alas, we were playing the mighty Palace, the team that has not won away for 7 months. We stood no chance, none at all, against such class and wonder. Moyes did well to make sure we didn't lose 5-0. That's all that matters.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I never realised how good a high press goal Benrahma's was - Dawson nicks the ball > Soucek > Kehrer > Paqueta > Benrahma in about 7 or 8 touches. Really excellent goal.

We shot ourselves in the foot. Lots of sloppy crossing or passing in decent positions in the 10-15 minutes around our goal.

They targeted Dawson who had a 'mare, and Cresswell who struggled all afternoon.

Watching the game back it's 0-15 Palace / 16-30 Us / 30-60 Palace / 60-70 flat / 70-80 us / 80-84 VAR / 85+ end to end
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:02 pm Our performance was poor but I clearly have a different definition of domination. Brighton dominated us more than Palace and City was genuine domination for me.
The Stats, as well as what was on show speaks for itself.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I am Legend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:51 pm Shame it took till the last minute of injury time for us to really go all out and try and score a goal in a football match that we wanted to win. If he'd moved all midfield up 20 yards to press, we might have just controlled the game and had more than 1-2 chances on target.

But alas, we were playing the mighty Palace, the team that has not won away for 7 months. We stood no chance, none at all, against such class and wonder. Moyes did well to make sure we didn't lose 5-0. That's all that matters.
In the second minute, all ten of our outfield players were in Palace's half -they just plonked the ball over the top for Zaha - piss easy way of getting past us. Dawson ended up dragging him down.

Two minutes. That's how long it took them to play over us.

Zaha and Ayew had the beating of Dawson and Cresswell all game.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:49 pm

I know it resulted in a goal for them, but I'm still tossing up whether that shockingly awful dive trying to win an penalty was worse than this.
Looked like a pull-back to me but very minimal and wasn’t a penalty, *but* with the run that built up to that Antonio could of played a simple forward pass taking out Palace’s defence to put Paqueta (IIRC) clear though on goal.

And the chip to the keeper was utterly brainless.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:49 pm Wow. This gets better and better eh. Clearly there's still an ongoing issue between Moyes and Benrahma. And that's just what we see on a match day.
No, no, no. He’s carrying a knock, don’t you know. That was a planned substitution
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:49 pm you know mate, and I'm sure 60K fans in the ground as well as the thousands watching around the world went a collective

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, and of course we are all only hypothesizing, ANY other choice than the one he made should have resulted in at worst, a corner. at best a goal.

Lack of discipline to have both holding mids and the RB up there.

People are blaming tactics and the like. i suppose that's right - the tactic of playing out from the back cost us the first goal, or the futility of trying to play that way with some of the players we still have starting.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:23 pm It was the least bothered I can ever remember being about losing a game with the last kick of the ball. That says to me that I feel our issues are deep-rooted and 1 point or 0 point really makes little difference to me when it comes to solving them.
That end of game feeling of resignation is a dangerous one for us to have as supporters.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:49 pm you know mate, and I'm sure 60K fans in the ground as well as the thousands watching around the world went a collective

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is worse. He had Paqueta, open and running right along with him, begging for the ball. And Mic never looked up. Instead he mishit his dribble just about ran himself into touch and performed his swan dive as a last resort.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Dbl post
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:56 pm In the second minute, all ten of our outfield players were in Palace's half -they just plonked the ball over the top for Zaha - piss easy way of getting past us. Dawson ended up dragging him down.

Yeah that will happen when you don't press hard and fast, and have slow full backs and CBs.

Our press was slow and not tight. It was get within 3 yards and try to hold them there a lot of the time. Easy for them to play down the wing and get us all running backwards.

70th minute he finally moved midfield higher up pitch and that is when we took control. But we all knew if Bowen, Antonio didn't finish then Palace would nick one on the counter near the end. I imagine none of us were surprised.

Bad selection (against a team like Palace at least), bad tactics when it comes to positioning of players default areas to play in, bad subs, bad adjustments. Dawson pass and Antonio screw up cost us dear.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:56 pm In the second minute, all ten of our outfield players were in Palace's half -they just plonked the ball over the top for Zaha - piss easy way of getting past us. Dawson ended up dragging him down.

The great man said it best:

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

steps wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:59 pm Looked like a pull-back to me but very minimal and wasn’t a penalty, *but* with the run that built up to that Antonio could of played a simple forward pass taking out Palace’s defence to put Paqueta (IIRC) clear though on goal.

And the chip to the keeper was utterly brainless.
negligible pull back, certainly not worthy of going full Phelps and as you say, another player at least in a goal scoring opportunity position.

and answering bubbs in this same post .

could be a lack of discipline all of them being up there, and fair point, but looking at it from a player point of view, we've flooded the box with players trying to win the game, who of them is thinking, nah, he's going to chip the ball to the keeper ?

certainly not me sitting here about 3500 miles away watching the telly. can't believe any of them thought that either. reckon that split second of them asking themselves, WTF has he done ??? meant they took longer to turn around and get into their respective defensive positions. ergo, the winning goal given up with them going through us like a knife through butter.

not for the first time I hasten to add either.
Colours never run

WCpete wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:00 pm No, no, no. He’s carrying a knock, don’t you know. That was a planned substitution
If you're going to start losing the dressing room, this would be a good way of going about it. The whole Benrahma/Moyes issue stinks and could get toxic (if being subbed off to a loud chorus of boos at home isn't already).
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 pm Image

And I think Lanzini is not far out of shot either.

Absolute madness. What Rice and Downes were both doing making in essence the same run shows a total lack of understanding/communication.

Yes Antonio made the wrong choice in trying to find Fornals but 1 in midfield makes the break far more difficult.

Palace’s pace upfront and our lack of any real structure hurt us most of the afternoon. It was not until Lanzini came on and Paqueta was pushed forward that we had any real structure in the side.

It was similar to Fulham in that the far superior movement from the Palace front players especially first half meant they had a pass on, usually as soon as they got the ball they had at least one, if not more, threatening to make a run behind whilst another found pockets between our lines. Not difficult because of the total lack of any co-ordination from our midfield.

It needs to change. Rice has to be played as the CDM. Play Paqueta and Fornals ahead of him but make sure they know their roles in whatever shape or system we might use. The discipline shown by the “reserves” on Thursday and the chaos of yesterday was chalk and cheese.

Paqueta did several tricks on the ball but what was his defensive role first half? Sometimes he seemed to be responsible for their deepest lying midfielder other time he dropped off him leaving him in acres.

Until the last minute I thought we had managed to steal a point in a game where we were clearly inferior, we failed because we chased the ball like a bunch of schoolboys with no thought to what might happen should we lose possession. Gutted but hard to begrudge the clearly better team the win.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Got to be honest here........and coming from the DM fan club of his first term.

It was absolutely dire yesterday. Taken in context , with the team available to him......all rested up.....it was probably the worst performance from my point of view for many a long time.

There was nothing good. It was horrible to watch. A real low point in his tenure.

The Leicester game will be an examination of everything .......
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The mismatch in the squad is what’s hurting us.

We’re playing players who are not suited to each other. I.e. some players who like to play a high line and feel comfortable with the ball at their feet. And we have others who are better off dropping deeper and not quite as good with the ball at their feet. It was really evident yesterday.

Whether you believe playing it out from the back, playing it long, counterattacking etc. is then way to go you need to have the players to go with it.