⚽ West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (6/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

I wouldn’t say we were dominated. Both teams we’re rather underwhelming. We did lose to a last minute deflected breakaway goal!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It is worth noting I had only three players better than Benny yesterday, and that was Paqueta, Zouma and Lanzini. Most were below him.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26 pm I wouldn’t say we were dominated. Both teams we’re rather underwhelming. We did lose to a last minute deflected breakaway goal!
:crylol: we was definitely dominated & even point would have been a bit of a robbery.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 pm :crylol: we was definitely dominated & even point would have been a bit of a robbery.
We didn't play well at all, but Palace definitely didn't dominate us, they certainly played better than we did, but that's very different from being dominated.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26 pm I wouldn’t say we were dominated. Both teams we’re rather underwhelming. We did lose to a last minute deflected breakaway goal!
Dominated? Probably not, but not sure they were underwhelming. They weren’t spectacular, but they certainly showed more ambition than we did, created more and the likes of Doucoure, Eze and Zaha were probably the best performers across the two teams. They even tried to settle for a point and still won the match. They were better than us and deserved the win.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Billy Hunt wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:41 pm I don't think it's anything like a cult, but for sure Berahma's a very divisive player it seems. To many (like those that sit near where I do) they occasionally, begrudgingly acknowledge his positives but pile on for every mistake. Some appreciate what he does, some focus on what he doesn't.
This is the thing. There have been periods this season when Bowen has deserved his place. Currently he doesn't. There have been periods over the last few years when Benrahma hasn't merited selection. Currently he does.

This black and white view of Benrahma really grates. It's simply not true that he did nothing apart from score that goal - he chased back and harried as much as anyone. And frankly if all he does for the rest of the season is take two players on and smash it in the net each game I'll be happy.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Pete647580 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:34 pm

This black and white view of Benrahma really grates.
His work rate has improved, the problem is some don’t like players like that, others do. Some love a maverick, magic moments type. Others prefer someone who is a 100% grafter. That splits opinion as it is. The problem you have now is that Moyes has created this issue with him. Subbing/dropping him when he shouldn’t, throwing him in at times when he shouldn’t. Making comments about him whether he plays good or bad. You now have a situation where Benrahma is almost a poster child for pro/against Moyes and that shouldn’t be the case. Unfortunately, after Yesterday it become even more so.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

They dominated us. Possession, passing, attempts at goal, corners, they were all over us. Every metric pretty much they came out on top and we were supposed to be the home Team. The scoreline actually flattered us in the end.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:27 pm It is worth noting I had only three players better than Benny yesterday, and that was Paqueta, Zouma and Lanzini. Most were below him.
I thought he was our best player. Not only scoring the goal, looking like he might do something with the ball, I also noticed how hard he was working for the team tracking back deep as clearly instructed with the rest of the team. Those other players did play well too though.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:41 pm They dominated us. Possession, passing, attempts at goal, corners, they were all over us. Every metric pretty much they came out on top and we were supposed to be the home Team. The scoreline actually flattered us in the end.
I agree. They were superior all round, albeit at times they instinctively seemed to be playing for a draw and killing time

15 shots to 5 away from home smacks of something, not sure what it is if it isn't dominance

We were dreadful, palace thoroughly deserved their win
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I agree with you Wilko 1304. There were blokes in the toilet at half time blaming Soucek for their first goal!

Benny has been one of our better players this season but I would still rather a chance fall to Bowen in the box or one on one with the keeper, i'm certain that is why he stays on. A couple of seasons ago he was the first sub most games and people moaned at that.

Apart from his goal Benny had no effect on the game because of a poor performance by all those around him as much as his own performance. I do not believe him staying on would have changed anything. The most we could hope for on that performance was not to lose the game and in fine West Ham tradition the comical last minute meant we couldn't even manage that. I was convinced we were going to concede a goal and lose the game as Fab's save from Dawson gave us a warning.

I actually felt relieved when Antonio broke away. I thought that's the game. A goal, a corner or most likely a rubbish shot into the crowd, but no we manger to create a chance for them...comedy football gold.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1593 likes
Total likes: 1644 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Douthy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:26 pm The shape is the issue

Without the ball we drop deep due to the lack of pace at the back. We sit off and occupy specific spaces on the pitch rather than press the ball.

When we win the ball in transition we occasionally look dangerous (ignoring yesterday).

When we have the ball at the back Rice and Soucek drop deep creating a 20 yard gap between whoever is up top and midfield. So when one of our CB or CM pumps it long we have no hope of winning a second ball.

The pattern of play when we start from the back has become ingrained and doesn’t work. Ends up with a full back under pressure who goes back to Fab who pumps it long and we lose the second ball.
Sums up all our problems in that comment. Far to many bad managerial mistakes. Be it tactical, system, line up. Moyes is just regressing. Most importantly he can't make the simple adjustment to fix it. And it is a simple fix any one of us could make in 5 mins of a game.
Colours never run

It's not so much the shape that's the issue, or any specific formation for that matter, but positioning on the pitch, that is. We simply sit far too deep for all the attacking, quality players we now have. And the best illustration of this is Aztec Hammers Opta positions during the game of our players, compared to Palace's. The adjustment I'd make is to play further forward and to press from the front applying pressure on the opposition, rather than to keep inviting pressure so often.

West Ham United

Palace

Be more the 2nd image, then we can't go much wrong.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieO
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by CharlieO »

We were unable to pass the ball. Palace were so ordinary and were there for the taking which is the frustration. I feel for Scamacca, what’s he supposed to do with no service? Benrahma going off was an odd one, I thought he was by far our best player
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:39 pm His work rate has improved, the problem is some don’t like players like that, others do. Some love a maverick, magic moments type. Others prefer someone who is a 100% grafter. That splits opinion as it is. The problem you have now is that Moyes has created this issue with him. Subbing/dropping him when he shouldn’t, throwing him in at times when he shouldn’t. Making comments about him whether he plays good or bad. You now have a situation where Benrahma is almost a poster child for pro/against Moyes and that shouldn’t be the case. Unfortunately, after Yesterday it become even more so.
The return of the Diamanti Era on KUMB. Personally I think Benny would be best as a trequartista.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

All is well. Nothing to see here.

Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:00 am You edited my post before the line that referenced it owing as much to a lack of an alternative.

He's not been all that great this season, but who has ?.
I wasn't meaning to cherry pick from your post, and yes you make a somewhat valid point about the lack of alternatives to Bowen. I would counter that by saying that if Bowen was injured the team selection would have to alter with the tactics and setup changing to suit. The way Bowen has been perfoming he might as well be injured.

If Moyes hand was forced by and injury to Bowen as a manager he would be expected to find a way, even if that is to grind out results.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:41 pm They dominated us. Possession, passing, attempts at goal, corners, they were all over us. Every metric pretty much they came out on top and we were supposed to be the home Team. The scoreline actually flattered us in the end.
Our performance was poor but I clearly have a different definition of domination. Brighton dominated us more than Palace and City was genuine domination for me.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:31 pm Dominated? Probably not, but not sure they were underwhelming. They weren’t spectacular, but they certainly showed more ambition than we did, created more and the likes of Doucoure, Eze and Zaha were probably the best performers across the two teams. They even tried to settle for a point and still won the match. They were better than us and deserved the win.
I agree broadly, though I think they only deserved a draw. A fluky late deflected breakaway goal after the opposition striker fails to take advantage of a fantastic situation is the fortuitous to say the least.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

WCpete wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:51 pm All is well. Nothing to see here.
Are you saying Moyes is predictable? How very dare you :grin: