⚽ West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (6/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by davids cross »

Apologies re : my post. (nothing good)

Benrahmas goal was superb.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Each side has six outfield players in their penalty area leaving their four pacy forwards against our four defenders, two of whom are Zouma and Dawson. Once Antonio went deja vu all over again there was only ever one outcome.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I have no 9dea how anyone can be disappointed we had all those players in the opposition box on 93 minutes trying to score a goal win the game. Surely that is a good thing, no?

The problem is, as always, we waited far too long to try and win the game. If we had created some chances in the previous 92 minutes we might have been comfortably ahead anyway

Same as waiting to 75 minutes to get an attacking mindset against Man U and then bemoaning thr bad luck we didn't score
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:32 pm I have no 9dea how anyone can be disappointed we had all those players in the opposition box on 93 minutes trying to score a goal win the game. Surely that is a good thing, no?

The problem is, as always, we waited far too long to try and win the game. If we had created some chances in the previous 92 minutes we might have been comfortably ahead anyway

Same as waiting to 75 minutes to get an attacking mindset against Man U and then bemoaning thr bad luck we didn't score
That's more the issue.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I'm not disappointed we went for it, I'm disappointed* in Antonio. There were three possible outcomes we could legitimately have expected from that position; a goal, corner or goal kick. All would have seen out the game. What nobody expected was an idiotic dolly catch to the keeper who could start a break with four pacy forwards against Zouma and Dawson.

*actually I'm livid. Still. It's been said too often on here that he's at his worst when he has time to think for it to be funny any more.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Benrahma subbed after shooting at the goal by accident in the 21st minute because we weren't trying to win until the 93rd minute.

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:48 pm
*actually I'm livid.
The fact he did exactly the same at Selhurst Park a few seasons ago is evidence of some sort of fate. It was one of those vertical time moments where space folds in on itself.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

He was just having another Matrix moment.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:55 pm The fact he did exactly the same at Selhurst Park a few seasons ago is evidence of some sort of fate. It was one of those vertical time moments where space folds in on itself.
As he ran into the box I honestly thought to myself "He's going to lob it to the keeper" and when he did, for reasons stated above, I knew we'd concede. He offers nothing to our game any more. Pace has gone, strength has been replaced by falling down and arm waving, and hold up play has been replaced by a total lack of ball retention.
Colours never run

Write Antonio off at your peril, you swines. He lives for it. 8-)
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:01 pm As he ran into the box I honestly thought to myself "He's going to lob it to the keeper" and when he did, for reasons stated above, I knew we'd concede. He offers nothing to our game any more. Pace has gone, strength has been replaced by falling down and arm waving, and hold up play has been replaced by a total lack of ball retention.
He has been poor for a while. Thought for a bit that he won't suit playing with Paqueta, Scamacca etc as he is head down and lacks control/deliberacy in his play.

He is still useful to give teams like Man City something to think about but for the last 20.

Him coming on at half time yesterday was really negative.It showed we didn't know how to get control deeper of crystal palace and we should pump it to Antonio. Did fantastic to spin the defender but he was never gonna play Paqueta in and ended up diving. Dreadful. This 2 moments and the end sum him up currently.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

I wonder if Antonio deliberately didn't pass both times as he thought a goal would get him back into the team? I am sure he's a bit annoyed to be on the bench after a few seasons leading the line (with no little success).
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:32 pm I have no 9dea how anyone can be disappointed we had all those players in the opposition box on 93 minutes trying to score a goal win the game. Surely that is a good thing, no?

We did not need Kehrer, Downes, Rice all making basically the same run. They were far more likely to confuse each other than anything else. We should have had one of them making the run they did, another sitting deeper in case the ball was cleared to around the edge of the box and the third reading the game and realising 3 v 3 at the back given our pace was never a good idea if the move broke down. None of them played with their head up aware of what was around them.

Antonio messed up sure but all the players were running like mad into a position where it would be very hard for him to find any of them. You would have seen a City or Liverpool player stop closer to the edge of the box then rightly go mad if the ball was not cut back to him.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 pm Each side has six outfield players in their penalty area leaving their four pacy forwards against our four defenders, two of whom are Zouma and Dawson. Once Antonio went deja vu all over again there was only ever one outcome.
Zouma has great pace. Craig, erm…
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Gsbgsb wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:56 am We did not need Kehrer, Downes, Rice all making basically the same run. They were far more likely to confuse each other than anything else. We should have had one of them making the run they did, another sitting deeper in case the ball was cleared to around the edge of the box and the third reading the game and realising 3 v 3 at the back given our pace was never a good idea if the move broke down. None of them played with their head up aware of what was around them.

Antonio messed up sure but all the players were running like mad into a position where it would be very hard for him to find any of them. You would have seen a City or Liverpool player stop closer to the edge of the box then rightly go mad if the ball was not cut back to him.
You're right with that, but you'd also not see a City or Liverpool player fluff his lines so badly once again like Antonio did with a powder puff chip into the keepers hands. I'd not expect that of any professional footballer.