⚽ CAC3: West Ham Utd 2-2 (9-10 pens) Blackburn Rovers (9/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Blackburn Rovers: match thread

Post by Hamburger »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:45 am Downes totally failed to clear his lines for the second.
Downes had a ‘mare but playing out of position, it is not surprising. Why he is pushed up when we have more natural options is beyond me. Maybe he dribbles past dozens and scores for fun in training?

Playing a back 5 against a far inferior side is ridiculous and lacks confidence as well as ambition. You would have expected some kind of formation or tactical tweak to get more aggressive but it was seemingly the same old same old.
MAC08
Has liked: 42 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

5 at the back would be bearable if it meant we kept clean sheets.

We don’t.

If you keep a clean sheet you can’t lose (unless a shootout!) . We’ve been here before with Allardyce.

Didn’t like it then, don’t like it now.

All so predictable, slow starts, lack of chances, can’t score.

The negativity rubs off not only on players but fans as well.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

:time:
Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:53 am more important?
I would say so aztec. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but for me the league Cup has become quite degraded, with so many second strings (even for championship teams). Personally, with 3 other competitions to focus on, a real chance of success in Europe and a tough PL season ahead, we can do without it.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

It's not the formation that plays the game :winker:

Playing with three central defenders could give a defender the possibility to push slightly further up, when we have the ball.
It could also more easily get both wingbacks involved, so that we could have more players, two-three, in their fullback-areas.
Or we could have pushed the entire side further up the pitch, strangling them in possesion, and having our libero sweep up the long through balls.
szola

Post by szola »

Korea Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:34 am :time:
I would say so aztec. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but for me the league Cup has become quite degraded, with so many second strings (even for championship teams). Personally, with 3 other competitions to focus on, a real chance of success in Europe and a tough PL season ahead, we can do without it.
Winning the League Cup is about as likely as winning the Conference League.
The next LC date is before the first PL fixture after the World Cup. After that game there is three games before the final.
Even the final is before our next European game.

It doesn't make much sense not to want to progress in the LC, even if we should win more games in the league and Europe
:ball:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I can't say i am bothered about going out of the league cup or particularly embarrassed about going out to a lower league side.
What i am greatly concerned about is that every first half display now seems to be dire, and really was appalling last night, we are still pretty toothless, players are being played out of position and we are not doing the basics right.
Everything was hit and hope until about 60 minutes.
We are really beginning to look like a relegation side and as much as i don't like saying it, the manager isn't helping.
It seems like he's trying to get us to play as a squad, and we need to, but it seems both he and the players don't seem to know how to.
And i've lost confidence in the hope that "all will come good"
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

MAC08 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:54 am 5 at the back would be bearable if it meant we kept clean sheets.
5 at the back is unbearable if/when it's against a team that aren't going to really come on to us and challenge us defensively. We've played two games in a row against a team we should be able to at the very least go toe-to-toe with, if not dominate, on the ball, and at that point a third centre back becomes completely surplus to requirements.

Blackburn had very few touches in the last quarter of the pitch last night, relatively speaking - having three centre backs and two pretty defensive wing backs meant that we had five players on the pitch in an area where Blackburn simply weren't getting the ball regularly enough for them to be doing anything of great use.

Could tell the moment the line-up came out that this was going to be an issue, and we didn't change it even when it became apparent that they weren't working our centre backs significantly to demand three of them being on the pitch. Even when Benrahma came on I thought we stuck with the three at the back formation, and it wasn't until the second substitutions that we actually shifted things.

It's just, flat out, bad tactics.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Playing 5 at the back is causing us issues moving the ball forward, with classic full backs rather than "wing-backs". Our negative formation is causing us to get bogged down with poor crosses and limited service for the front men.

Needed to have played a stronger team against Blackburn last night to beat them. I was hoping to see Rice and Scamacca play from the beginning last night. Especially the latter who played 45 mins on Sunday and then has 6 weeks off at the end of the week. Does Moyes not trust him?

Worrying indeed. If DM loses against Leicester he will have lost the fan base for sure, who knows where the owner's heads are at?
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:50 am Playing 5 at the back is causing us issues moving the ball forward, with classic full backs rather than "wing-backs". Our negative formation is causing us to get bogged down with poor crosses and limited service for the front men.

Worrying indeed. If DM loses against Leicester he will have lost the fan base for sure, who knows where the owner's heads are at?
Thing is we are not playing 3 at the back in the league and still seeing the same dross.
Too negative and not using the ball properly no matter what the formation.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Korea Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:08 am Sounded like we were all over them for a lot of that game. And a lot of the boys stood up and took good pens. One of those things, move on to the more important game at the weekend.

Without any context, this is exactly how I feel. And I would never get overly upset about a defeat to lower opposition in the League Cup.. Especially given that the Conference League offers a bigger reward (Europa League) and is probably easier to win imo. And is tucked away till the spring.

The context of the timing of the loss however makes it more damaging.

With confidence amongst the players further scarred......and, the fans getting more frustrated.

Overall, I'm not concerned about losing last night.........but, it's the cumulative negative effect on the players and fans that is more worrying.....and possibly more important than this single loss.....albeit on penalties.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:50 am Playing 5 at the back is causing us issues moving the ball forward, with classic full backs rather than "wing-backs". Our negative formation is causing us to get bogged down with poor crosses and limited service for the front men.
Very true. We pinned all our hopes on Antonio and Fornals in forward positions (and Downes for some reason). But as soon as Benrahma came on we actually had an outlet who would receive the ball, turn, and run with it.

We were crying out for it for an hour.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I didn't have a particular problem with the team selected last night, what I didn't expect was to gift the opposition a goal within 5 minutes having already been let off the hook minutes earlier.

Any chance of a positive start went out the window and to be fair we went on the attack and got back in the game. A series of mediocre corners and poor finishing meant it took far too long to take the lead.

A team with confidence and the attacking players we had on the pitch should have gone on and killed the game off (a real weakness of ours) and then some keystone cops defending at the end was our undoing again.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Was anyone else as surprised as I was to see us put all our penalties away until poor Oggy had to step up, knowing how sh*t we’ve been with penalties this season? :D
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Forget the rest of the formation why can we not take chances. Last night was prime example. We had 22 of them. If we took chances we would be not only in round 4, be in top 4 of PL, and not only that we wouldn’t be in the Europa Conf as we would be reigning Europa League champs. Is it a case of never having the right players or is there something that saps the confidence out of them?
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:01 am Was anyone else as surprised as I was to see us put all our penalties away until poor Oggy had to step up, knowing how sh*t we’ve been with penalties this season? :D
As I said at the time, it looks like penalties are the only thing we have been working on in training.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bonzo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:06 am Forget the rest of the formation why can we not take chances. Last night was prime example. We had 22 of them. If we took chances we would be not only in round 4, be in top 4 of PL, and not only that we wouldn’t be in the Europa Conf as we would be reigning Europa League champs. Is it a case of never having the right players or is there something that saps the confidence out of them?
We did not have 22 chances
We had 22 'shots'.
There is a big difference

We did have a couple of good chances last night mind, but not loads:

Antonio hitting the post from the corner, and the Antonio close in one on one and Benny follow-up, are the two spring to mind from what I saw on SKy SPorts News
szola

Post by szola »

Bonzo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:06 am Forget the rest of the formation why can we not take chances. Last night was prime example. We had 22 of them. If we took chances we would be not only in round 4, be in top 4 of PL, and not only that we wouldn’t be in the Europa Conf as we would be reigning Europa League champs. Is it a case of never having the right players or is there something that saps the confidence out of them?
Wel :kumb: long time lurker!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The same thing was said about Oxford, but it did for MP. Everything changed for him that irrelevant night.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I get what you mean Crouchy but most goals (both our goal last night) are from shots which are chances created.

Benny's lash over the bar was a good chance, Antonio's wild lash in the first half was a half chance as he had got behind the last man.

It's the number of these that don't hit the target that grates.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Winning matches breeds winning mentality though. People are going on about the 6 wins in Europe and from watching these games, we haven’t set up the same as we have in the league. If it’s good enough in Europe to play a bit less conservative, why isn’t it ok in the league or the league cup.

Last night was a perfect opportunity to have a go at something different. If it didn’t work, we get beat. However we stuck to the same old and got beat anyway.

You can’t have a squad with Scamacca, Benrahama, Fornals, Bowen, Paqueta, Emerson, Rice and Lanzini and go defensive. Even if you’re defence isn’t the best, you at least put the opposition on the back foot.

As someone alluded to earlier, we are putting too much pressure on our forwards as in most cases we need to score at least 2 goals in every game, which in turn leads to players snatching at chances and losing all sense of composure. We need to start matches with the intent of winning, not the intent of not letting the opposition score.