⚽ CAC3: West Ham Utd 2-2 (9-10 pens) Blackburn Rovers (9/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Blackburn Rovers: match thread

Post by Oldun »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:52 pm Looked it at the time.
I must admit I did and I am guessing there was no VAR to check it .
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3487 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Oldun wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:54 pm I must admit I did and I am guessing there was no VAR to check it .
No VAR tonight.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:54 pm No VAR tonight.
Thing was that I don’t even think it was close to being onside .
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:45 pm I wasn't loving him when he blazed over an open goal.
That wasn't quite an open goal however he should of done much better. What annoyed me more was his pathetic play-acting after a good challenge and then his miraculous recovery a minute later once we had won the ball back. All being said, I don't think it can be disputed that his introduction brought greater energy and purpose to our game as before that, we were very much reliant on Antonio's pace and power.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3019 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:52 pm Areola
Johnson Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
Paqueta Rice Fornals
Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

Both games.
So 3 games in a week for Zouma, with a dodgy knee ? Thats a lot of work for Bowen as well, and Cresswell.

How confident are you about Johnsons passing ability ?

What did Scamacca do against Palace that justifies his inclusion ?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Can't have watched Aguerd's opening 5 tonight either.
GPP
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by GPP »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:47 pm He set up the original chance for Antonio in the first place
That’s being incredibly kind to Benrahma!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3019 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Oldun wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:56 pm Thing was that I don’t even think it was close to being onside .
That was probably why the officials missed it.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3487 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Oldun wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:56 pm Thing was that I don’t even think it was close to being onside .
It did appear to be be well offside from the brief footage I saw.
GPP
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by GPP »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:47 pm He set up the original chance for Antonio in the first place
DP
Last edited by GPP on Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:12 am It did appear to be be well offside from the brief footage I saw.
I have watched it over and over and can not see anything that could remotely play him onside,strange .
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Oldun wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:51 pm I personally would not have played 3 at the back and definitely gone 2 up top .
There's not a team in the league that plays two upfront without a back three. That formation died years ago.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 pm I don't agree with this.
I think you have to rotate. I also think that those core players play each weekend just like teams not in Europe so they don't loose out in the amount of time to get

Bit of an assumption to say the squad size is the issue
My assumption (which has no facts) is the game plan and tactics don't suit the players. Additionally two many players genuinely are doing rubbish things that the manager cannot control. Managers rely on a majority the players performing the basics and following instructions. Tactics don't make premier league players play **** balls to each other. Or pass to an opposition player.
By all means rotate, but not 8-9-10 players. Keep the core, rotate 2 or 3. Not the only reason, but look back at the last 2 seasons - in the main - our good form was down to a small squad and lack of rotation, plus more expansive tactics. Now we have a bigger squad, we appear to have gone to the extreme and are struggling to get the balance in the team right.

I also agree that our tactics and formations do not suit the players we have. Once we hit a poor vein of form, we shifted to playing more defensive to try and shore things up and make us hard to beat - this has a detrimental effect in that our tactics meant we also slowed down our attacking play and made us less creative. It’s also failed because we’re still shipping two goals a game but now goals at the other end have dried up.

This has hit player confidence and they’re doing players in that situation - making bad decisions, playing **** balls to each other, pass to the opposition, generally retreating into their shell for fear of making a mistake. It’s a vicious circle.

It looks to me that the players have lost faith in the tactics, which has impacted their confidence and means they’re not playing to their potential. Again, a vicious circle.

There are lots of things that are affecting the players, but it’s the manager who needs to change things to build confidence and bring them out of their shells. Repeating the same tactics, formations, substitutions and lack of flexibility are starting to show Moyes as having no plan B or a way in which to pull us out of the mire.

Sadly, I think it’s time for a change in manager and Leicester is likely his last chance to do that. Continue the way we have been and lose and I think it might be curtains for him.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

There it is, now Benny misses big chances and it's not a thing, something to deflect, attack the post.

Real Donald Benrahma
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Oldun wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:14 am I have watched it over and over and can not see anything that could remotely play him onside,strange .
I've only seen the brief (pretty much just the goals) highlights on Sky Sports, no replays, just the one angle. My first thought was he must be offside, but the lino looked well-positioned so I can't see how he could miss a blatant offside.
Also, Bowen timed a run brilliantly for our equaliser, and if the whole of his run hadn't been in the camera frame then I think a lot of Blackburn fans would be saying he must have been offside.

Was it not a foul - swung elbow into Ogbonna's face - for their equaliser though? Ogbonna clutched his head but carried on playing, so without a foul being awarded it didn't change the outcome, but I reckon VAR would have had a closer look at that.
Brereton took the goal well - didn't see enough of the game to know if he offers any more to his game, or if he'd be good enough for us (where we want to be) though.
Not sure why Ogbonna then dropped back deep enough to keep the two forwards in the centre onside.

From the match stats it appears we were the dominant and attacking team - 22 shots (though only 5 on target) and 15 corners.
But the two goals both had a large element of luck as the ball came off a defender's poor touch.
Antonio's cross on the first goal was probably even worse than the one against Palace!

Good to see we've found nine players that can score from the spot. I'm not sure what it says about Areola though - conceding ten penalties and letting in a goal through his legs in normal time!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I know one or two near me thought the first might be offside - my initial concern was how has the passer had that amount of time.

Looking at the Sky highlights - look at Ogbonna far left. He looks a good 2-3 yards behind Aguerd and Johnson and might have been playing the attacker on at the time of the pass?? Can't tell from the angle and time of the shot.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:34 am I've only seen the brief (pretty much just the goals) highlights on Sky Sports, no replays, just the one angle. My first thought was he must be offside, but the lino looked well-positioned so I can't see how he could miss a blatant offside.
Also, Bowen timed a run brilliantly for our equaliser, and if the whole of his run hadn't been in the camera frame then I think a lot of Blackburn fans would be saying he must have been offside.

Was it not a foul - swung elbow into Ogbonna's face - for their equaliser though? Ogbonna clutched his head but carried on playing, so without a foul being awarded it didn't change the outcome, but I reckon VAR would have had a closer look at that.
Brereton took the goal well - didn't see enough of the game to know if he offers any more to his game, or if he'd be good enough for us (where we want to be) though.
Not sure why Ogbonna then dropped back deep enough to keep the two forwards in the centre onside.

From the match stats it appears we were the dominant and attacking team - 22 shots (though only 5 on target) and 15 corners.
But the two goals both had a large element of luck as the ball came off a defender's poor touch.
Antonio's cross on the first goal was probably even worse than the one against Palace!

Good to see we've found nine players that can score from the spot. I'm not sure what it says about Areola though - conceding ten penalties and letting in a goal through his legs in normal time!
Wonder if he’d be worth a punt? A poacher is worth their weight in gold.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:06 pm I see you intentionally avoided answering my question. I'll ask again.

Tell me what Moyes actually got wrong for a change today please...
FAO - Ironing Board, 3rd and last time of asking mucka. Could you please tell me where he's honestly got it wrong this season, as you usually answer everyone's posts and can't imagine you're purposely avoiding the question. Or can I just assume you don't think he's got much wrong at all, as it's all just down to bad luck, injuries, VAR, the players, the experts in the stands?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:16 am FAO - Ironing Board, 3rd and last time of asking mucka. Could you please tell me where he's honestly got it wrong this season, as you usually answer everyone's posts and can't imagine you're purposely avoiding the question. Or can I just assume you don't think he's got much wrong at all, as it's all just down to bad luck, injuries, VAR, the players, the experts in the stands?
I’ve said before. He’s struggling to find the right balance. It takes time but people are so impatient nowadays and the pressure weighs on the players. They get so afraid of making mistakes that that is exactly what happens.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

ChzMff wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:58 pm All being said, I don't think it can be disputed that his introduction brought greater energy and purpose to our game as before that, we were very much reliant on Antonio's pace and power.
Maybe it would be an idea to just play him for a full 90 minutes instead of constantly giving him bit-part roles during games either subbed off, or subbed on most of the time.

He's only played 90 minutes, 15 times after 100 appearances for West Ham. For his level of end product, that's poor not trusting him enough to see games through.