⚽ West Ham Utd 0-2 Leicester City (12/11/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:00 am If we can't score one goal, take me through your thought process of how we are going to score two ?
Well my thought process is that giving up on attempting to score at all, will have us even further away from being able to score 2.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:08 am Well my thought process is that giving up on attempting to score at all, will have us even further away from being able to score 2.
But nearer securing a point.
il_martello_di_genovesi

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:18 am But nearer securing a point.
Yes, 23 points from our next 23 will have us on 37 points. Do you think that’s enough?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:21 am Yes, 23 points from our next 23 will have us on 37 points. Do you think that’s enough?
Our current batting average gives us less if maintained.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:12 am He made 6 saves, and was given Man of the Match by a few match reports. Our attacking play is already not good enough without us exaggerating and making things up.
Those match reports are lazy, then. He wasn’t particularly tested, Benrahma shot was a decent enough save and he recovered well for the looping header, although actually made it a much harder save when he got there.

When did you think we did really well testing the goalkeeper? You’re mocking him for forgetting or mixing up one chance, but the point is about us texting the keeper, is it not? Were we anywhere near good enough at that? Given territory, possession and the players on the ball.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Players looked absolutely dejected at the final whistle yesterday. They look lost, confused and deflated. It's all gone horridly wrong. The manager coming out to press conferences with this dour negative mentality doesn't help. I feel like shaking Moyes. He's the manager ffs it's your job to motivate us fans and the players and get the team playing well and getting good results. He's doing none of these things in the league and hasn't done for the past 12 months. A tactical dinosaur that needs to get the chop.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

Leicester made changes to freshen things up and it worked.

Hasenhuttl did it against us too. Just fresh legs and ideas when things were wobbling.

This attacking change that people are saying was “what some fans wanted” was replacing Soucek with Fornals in the 75th minute when 1-0 down at home.

If you really think that was too big of a risk, then your confidence in the manager is lower than mine. You’re saying he cannot coach to manage that level of risk, and that’s a bit embarrassing.

And what did he try after the second? Sure, the game was up, but he cannot accept that.

Did he change Rice’s instructions once Soucek went off? Did he consider that stretching the game might mean risking Dawson, so maybe we should mitigate that? They weren’t an aerial threat, move Kehrer there and try someone else at right back. Move Rice there and bring Lanzini on.

It felt quite shocking that he made the change he did. It was arguably the least imaginative idea on offer. Says something, too.
jabbaglob123

Post by jabbaglob123 »

One thing I noticed.

Leicester winning the match 1-0 and use most of there subs to freshen things up.

We are losing and we make our first non injury sub at 75 minutes...

Like come on Dave do you want to win a match or just keep things tight?
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:48 pm Leicester made changes to freshen things up and it worked.

Hasenhuttl did it against us too. Just fresh legs and ideas when things were wobbling.

This attacking change that people are saying was “what some fans wanted” was replacing Soucek with Fornals in the 75th minute when 1-0 down at home.

If you really think that was too big of a risk, then your confidence in the manager is lower than mine. You’re saying he cannot coach to manage that level of risk, and that’s a bit embarrassing.

And what did he try after the second? Sure, the game was up, but he cannot accept that.

Did he change Rice’s instructions once Soucek went off? Did he consider that stretching the game might mean risking Dawson, so maybe we should mitigate that? They weren’t an aerial threat, move Kehrer there and try someone else at right back. Move Rice there and bring Lanzini on.

It felt quite shocking that he made the change he did. It was arguably the least imaginative idea on offer. Says something, too.
Who else was there off the bench to come on and change it? Lanzini? Downes? Those were our two available attacking changes!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm One thing I noticed.

Leicester winning the match 1-0 and use most of there subs to freshen things up.

Had Antonio or Cornet been on the bench they would have been on. Basically the options to change a game were not there.

Can you imagine the reaction of Lanzini for Rice, Paqueta or Benny who were the remaining players where he plays.
il_martello_di_genovesi

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:24 am Our current batting average gives us less if maintained.
An average that would be brought up considerably, just by winning our next game. To do so, we need to find a way to score goals and create more. Focusing on clean sheets and trying to get a point is not the answer. If we were looking at our squad wondering where the goals would come from, then fair enough. I don’t. I feel it’s more of a why are we not getting more goals or creating more chances with what we have. It’s the thing Moyes is being paid to sort.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Irrons wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:23 pm Who else was there off the bench to come on and change it? Lanzini? Downes? Those were our two available attacking changes!
Don’t have to put ‘attacking’ players on to improve the attack. Could Coufal and Emerson have improved our use of width? Could Lanzini have found the passes others weren’t? Could Downes have held midfield and allowed Rice further forward?

I’m not saying it would work, but it couldn’t have not worked us to any less points than 0.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I made the same point during the recent spell of many games in a short space of time, we're allowed up to 5 subs remember and yet we barely make many subs during games, arguably at a time we should with fixture congestion through 2 Cups and many League games before the World Cup. And yet he continues to make minimal changes, especially through Subs when even when we're not doing well at all. :eh:

Yesterday he effectively only made 1 sub at 75 mins (Aguerd for Zouma was a forced sub after 15) whilst the score was still just 1-0 at home and Fornals for Sohcek was all you wanted to do with 5 possible subs in a game to make.

By comparison Leicester had used up all 5 of their Subs by the 69th minute mark and ran out comfortable winners in the end.

One is a Proactive manager whereas 1 is now barely a Reactive one. Completely void of ideas. 💡
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i keep thinking back to their goal and how they had 70% of the ball until maddison came off. after he scored, it wasn't jubilation, it was "okay i've done my bit, get me off the pitch", same with tielemans, there was absolutely no chance he was putting himself about after maddison went off injured and despite having the most quality of anyone else in their XI there was reason he got hooked.

we on the other hand had declan rice playing like his hair was on fire. a week away from being england's lynchpin there was never anything less that 110% commitment.

yet even with them at 60% and us throwing the kitchen sink at them, it was a routine leicester win that they'll probably forget about in a month.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:33 am Kehrer is caught way out of position defensively too high up the pitch for both goals chasing shadows, when the play develops from Leicester retrieving possession. We even had a warning sign of it just before they scored with a carbon copy pattern of play as seen in the highlights below.

He is also caught far too high up the pitch when we lose the ball for the 2nd but more alarmingly when Harvey Barnes wins the ball and first plays it forward, he's seen almost level up the pitch as Barnes. What then develops is Barnes busting a gut to get forward which he eventually goes in clear to score. Whereas Kehrer is still seen blowing out of his arse way out of position yet again.

https://www.skysports.com/premier-leagu ... ter2022VOD

And yet, Moyes continues game after game to play 1 of his struggling favourites in the Team.
Spot on.

Barnes is behind both Kehrer and Paqueta for their second, makes a great run and leaves them both trailing 20-30 yards behind him.

That goal was due to Barnes desire, and energy, great goal on his part.

Our two looked like they couldn’t be bothered.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

And what did Fornals do when he came on?

Other than give Leicester their second goal...

We were the team in the ascendancy creating chances, the more you throw the kitchen sink at them the more likely they are to score on the counter. Unfortunately with no Antonio or Cornet we're lacking in attacking impact subs.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

[quote="Colours never run" post_id=6419746

One is a Proactive manager whereas 1 is now barely a Reactive one. Completely void of ideas. 💡
[/quote]

Rogers, a proactive Manager? Well you learn something every day!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:44 pm
Rogers, a proactive Manager? Well you learn something every day!
You sure do!
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Fornals is so frustrating. Bought on to add some attacking impetus to bring us an equaliser and almost immediately throws the game away with a wanky crossfield pass.

I bet Moyes could have throttled him.
jabbaglob123

Post by jabbaglob123 »

smuts wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:14 pm Fornals is so frustrating. Bought on to add some attacking impetus to bring us an equaliser and almost immediately throws the game away with a wanky crossfield pass.

I bet Moyes could have throttled him.
Worst thing is it's the second game in a row where Soucek has been subbed and we've conceded. Moyes probably is thinking 'see that's why Soucek has to start and play the full 90' 😩