England's World Cup chances

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Re: England's World Cup chances

Post by mushy »

I'm starting to think Hugh's account has been hacked.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

mushy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:00 pm You really think all Sterling offers are tap ins?
It's his pace and ball holding skills that are important in this match (same with Saka).
Having said that I don't think he will change the front three.
I do, Yes.

He had a decent goal return when playing for City and having De brunye serving him tap in after tap in every game. Funnily enough when he leaves and goes to Chelsea the goals have dried up massively

Personally I wouldn't be trusting him in such an important match, where chances are likely to be at a premium & we need to be as clinical as possible.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

I'm not Sterling's biggest fan and have always found him quite difficult to judge, as sometimes he can look a poor footballer but then you look at his stats and they are hard to argue again. However, he was clearly one of our best players in the recent Euro's and has typically done very well for England over the last 4-5 years. I'm not sure I would start him but not having him in the squad is a miss.

As for the apparent cover story, that is clearly absolute nonsense.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm LOL. Sterling abandones his teammates because his house was burgled and nobody was harmed.

I though someone was dead or close to it.

Unbelievable. Southgate is as soft as ****.
Being reported as an armed robbery (armed theft from an occupied building), not a burglary (unarmed theft from an empty building). That there was no lasting physical harm will be of scant consolation, I expect it was a horrible ordeal for those involved.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Apologies all. The media report I read made it sound like someone had nicked his lawnmower out of the shed. Obviously more serious than that 🙄
Downunderhammerfan
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Downunderhammerfan »

This is my view. The highly paid billy big bucks are mostly primadonna sooks.
Look at the success of the Asian teams...Japan, South Korea and Australia. All got out of group stages embarrassing teams like spain, denmark, germany who boast a litany of highly paid superstars.
It's the gritty nobodys who are superfit athletes whose reward is simply playing for their countries.
When a superstar bigboy gets a taste of massive cash and egos it makes me wonder how hard they put in and instead wave arms and roll around on the floor.
Ha Ha... Japan just scored
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Downunderhammerfan wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:12 pm instead wave arms and roll around on the floor.
You know you've literally just described South Korea's Captain. ;)

Gritty nobodies? Maybe the Aussie team but don't over half the Japanese team play in the top euro leagues? They are not lower league plodders.
floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by floydie_hammer »

Downunderhammerfan wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:12 pm This is my view. The highly paid billy big bucks are mostly primadonna sooks.
Look at the success of the Asian teams...Japan, South Korea and Australia. All got out of group stages embarrassing teams like spain, denmark, germany who boast a litany of highly paid superstars.
It's the gritty nobodys who are superfit athletes whose reward is simply playing for their countries.
When a superstar bigboy gets a taste of massive cash and egos it makes me wonder how hard they put in and instead wave arms and roll around on the floor.
Ha Ha... Japan just scored
Australia and Japan are already out and Korea are two down against Brazil within 15 mins. Grit and determination only get you so far.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

floydie_hammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:15 pm Australia and Japan are already out and Korea are two down against Brazil within 15 mins. Grit and determination only get you so far.
And Brazil have plenty of grit and determination to go with a bucket load of skill
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm LOL. Sterling abandones his teammates because his house was burgled and nobody was harmed.

I though someone was dead or close to it.

Unbelievable. Southgate is as soft as ****.
This is the equivalent of a daily mail comment. Cringe af.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

France will be too strong for us , i make us about 4 th likely to win Brazil, Spain and the French depending on the draw.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

61dicksey wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:41 pm France will be too strong for us , i make us about 4 th likely to win Brazil, Spain and the French depending on the draw.
Are you literally going to splurge your misery on every thread on this forum? :rofl:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 pm Are you literally going to splurge your misery on every thread on this forum? :rofl:
He's not wrong though.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 pm Are you literally going to splurge your misery on every thread on this forum? :rofl:
one comment is splurging is it?
I think France will have too much for us , it is my opinion , love to be wrong.
oh! and Three Lions is a **** song and every pissed up prick coming out of the pub after England winning a game spouts it, so no apology there . :grin:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Id be interested to see what the French are all saying about their chances vs England right now.

After all, they have a long history of getting their derrières handed to them by England.
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

sendô wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:22 pm Id be interested to see what the French are all saying about their chances vs England right now.

After all, they have a long history of getting their derrières handed to them by England.
I can try to make a press review tomorrow, if you want.

I just scanned L'Équipe website headlines, but they don't talk much about England.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

We like you here Misko, could you at least lie a little bit?
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Jonah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:53 pm We like you here Misko, could you at least lie a little bit?
Well, I'll wrap it with a nice ribbon. I need to get access to the paid content to see what they really say, the headlines are just click baits, and no English player is good material for that at the moment. I reckon it is actually a good thing.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

If we can overcome France on Saturday then why not go all the way.
There's obviously some very good teams still in the competition, but we are good aswell.

I'm not a fan of Brazil
Far to showy for me, and I can see a very good team beating them.
Remember the Brazil of 1982, they were also very "showbiz" but they got found out by the eventual winners italy.

So beat France and I see us going all the way.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ultimately we will beat ourselves.

It's the English way.