England's World Cup chances

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

evomutant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: England's World Cup chances

Post by evomutant »

I am ambivalent on whether Foden really changes anything in this side given the tactical instructions they have, as good as he is if he is played where he does for City, but Southgate's "don't put pressure on him" line is so ridiculous it is almost funny. The guy has played in more huge games at 22 than Southgate did in his entire career and is a first team pick for one of the best club sides on the planet. I think he can handle it, Gareth.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Foden needa to start.

Will anyone argue that Pep isn't a better coach than Southgate? He sold sterling and starts Foden over Grealish!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Following the tournament on tournament progress of England with a Semi Final and then a Final appearance, I would have had great expectations if this World Cup was in Europe. The location had already tempered those expectations but also our form going into the tournament further dampened my expectations.
Tournament football is all about momentum and we need to ignite that spark with today’s game being the perfect opportunity. On paper we really should be ripping the Welsh a new one but it doesn’t always pan out like that. The Welsh will play their best game of the tournament today without a doubt but as long as we bring our ‘A’ game to the party, we should win and top the group.
If we can take that momentum to round of 16 and get through that we will most likely be facing France in Quarter Final. A big ask and on current form I couldn’t see us getting any further. However, as dear old Greavsie used to say, it’s a funny old game. Two good performances leading up to that Quarter Final could make a big difference and then anything could happen. I hope we can get it right.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

At present, I wouldn't have us in amongst the top five.

I don't see us beating the likes of Spain, Portugal, Brazil, France or Holland.

Even Germany, Belgium, Morroco, Argentina, Croatia etc should we and they progress.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

mushy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:58 pm It's a mystery why we were so flat but we really need to mix it up from the start and get at teams.
It's really not, and you've touched on the problem yourself already.

The USA set up to press us high and deny space in midfield. We were unable to break through with any regularity because a) waistcoat set us up with Rice sitting deep and Bellingham/Mount pushing high up, b) the message was clear to the team to prioritise not losing over pushing for a win, so we were slow and placid with our attempts to break the press, and c) waistcoat did nothing to change things for 70 minutes.

The obviously sub for me was to bring Kalvin Phillips in and play him next to Rice and give us more control in midfield.

It'll be an ongoing problem under Southgate. Say we were playing Brazil. I'd fancy we have the attacking talent to go toe to toe with them if we showed some confidence and intent, but I'd bet my house that Southgate will be defensive, cautious, negative and will let Brazil have all of the possession and territory, passing the ball around in front of us and building up confidence as the game goes on.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hinge on two things:

1) Waistcoat learning to stop being quite so defensive when there are games there to be won. I can understand his approach, defence often wins competitions, but not when it leads to an impotency in midfield & forward play.
2) The coaching team learning to make tactical adjustments on the fly, something we haven't seen a great deal under Southgate. Late subs alone aren't good enough when the tactics and formation aren't working.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

England have made a statement tonight without getting out of second gear. Some real challenges for Southgate, lots of competition for starting places. Witness the fact that we have scored 9 goals and Kane has yet to score.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I can honestly see England Nicking this...we'll take care of Senegal,we just have to much for them...Then
3 (Hopefully) 50/50 Matches....We're in top 3/4 Sides I reckon,not a lot in it from what seen so far,so depends on how yer luck goes.

Croatia,Dark Horses I reckon,hard to beat,think they'll take care of Belgium and top the group,I'm on at 65/1
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Only Brazil and France give me the willies, could beat anyone in this tourney in a one off game I reckon, who knows? I reckon going out to France but you never know :fxd:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

IronRhino wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:30 pm
England have made a statement tonight without getting out of second gear. Some real challenges for Southgate, lots of competition for starting places. Witness the fact that we have scored 9 goals and Kane has yet to score.
That competition we’ve got for the attacking positions means Southgate has even less justification for letting games drift to 65mins+ without making any subs when we are flat.

Against a better team than Wales last night could have been a real struggle. Thankfully the worldie from Rashford opened up the game and the second half was very different from the first.
S-H wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:15 am At present, I wouldn't have us in amongst the top five.

Even Germany, Belgium, Morroco, Argentina, Croatia etc should we and they progress.
I can’t see the concern when it comes to the Holland, they have benefited from Qatar being the seeded team on their group. In truth they are a pretty average side, the other 4 you mention though we’d be under dogs.

As for the other batch of teams, Germany are always dangerous, whilst Argentina are massively overhyped but would be a challenge, Croatia could be a dark horse as thru are technically excellent, Belgium look done as a team and Morocco shouldn’t have the fire power to concern us too much.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:55 am Only Brazil and France give me the willies, could beat anyone in this tourney in a one off game I reckon, who knows? I reckon going out to France but you never know :fxd:

They were talking to Stormzy on BBC Brrakfast this morning and he reckons Senegal is a tough one.He said. "Senegal., that's a tough one, man, that's not easy "
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

If I'm reading things correctly, reasonable chance we have a QF against the winner of France-Argentina, so think that'll be the end of it!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Do we really need to fear the French? They're not that good Mbappe aside. No Pogba, no Kante. Griezmann is the wrong side of thirty. They're still playing 36 year old Giroud up front ffs.

England don't need to worry about other teams. England need to worry about England. If we play to our potential, we've got a great chance of winning it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Senegal without Mane is obviously an easier challenge than with him, so i don't see us having too many problems this weekend

I think only France and Brazil are at a level above us, but also both are certainly beatable on any given day

Other than that, i would fancy us to win a one off game against anyone else if the mindset and tactics are correct - but it is knock out football so we could also lose to anyone else without too much of a surprise
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:38 pm If I'm reading things correctly, reasonable chance we have a QF against the winner of France-Argentina, so think that'll be the end of it!
It's now knock out football, with extra time and 'penalties' so anything is possible (plus injuries, yellow and red cards etc).
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:15 am At present, I wouldn't have us in amongst the top five.

On present showing I only make Spain, France, Brazil better than us. They're the only 3 I fear and even then I feel we could give any of them a run for their money and possibly beat with a bit of luck.

I still think Argentina could still win it too, when though I don't think they'll get far by performing particularly well. I just feel they'll do what's needed to get deeper into the Tournament and be carried a lot of the time off Messis back.
Last edited by Colours never run on Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

We'll go out to France in the Quarters.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Ben White has left the squad due to “personal reasons” and the statement from the FA asks his privacy is respected.

Hope all is well with him. Real shame he’s had to leave.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

I don’t know S-H, it’s very hard to gauge what the pecking order is from the group stage, especially as there really hasn’t been any obvious standout nations that are clearly worlds apart from the rest.
I’m personally not particularly bowled over by France, yes they’re good and they were first to qualify but that sometimes falls down to the order of your fixtures and the quality of the group. Had England faced Wales in the 2nd match we would have been wetting ourselves having qualified with 2 straight wins and scoring 9 goals ! Then we follow that up with a draw against respectable opposition in the form of USA, not much panic would be made of it. Brazil have, to my untrained eyes, looked pretty laboured and have taken until mid 2nd halves to get the ball in the onion bag. They don’t feel deserving of the TV pundit drooling they’ve received for the odd individual moments.
I’m not going to push England above anyone else, but I can’t really make a case for them being obviously or substantially weaker than those you’ve mentioned.
It’s about as open a tournament as I can remember without many individual superstars in their prime.
Mbappe maybe ? but he’s not Ronaldo or Maradona in their pomp. Not even close.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

however, imvho, any team with M'Bappe in it has a brilliant chance.

I remember last season when PSG were not playing that well at all, one piece of M'Bappe magic and they won.

and he did it time and time again..

and remember he's still only about 22 I think..