England's World Cup chances

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Re: England's World Cup chances

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:23 pm There’s some scum in this country.
Harsh mate. He's flying back to make sure his family are ok :D
Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Post by Shabu »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 am Harsh mate. He's flying back to make sure his family are ok :D
Just wrong
Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Post by Shabu »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 am Harsh mate. He's flying back to make sure his family are ok :D
Just wrong
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by szola »

Next game will be more difficult than the semis. The French have looked as the best side of the tournament so far.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

szola wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:04 am Next game will be more difficult than the semis. The French have looked as the best side of the tournament so far.
I suspect they’re saying the same.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

It's all about how England deal with Mbappe and Dembele.
The Poles were extraordinarily naive at times and appeared to forget to mark Mbappe at times. Give that man space and you are in deep trouble.
It's either get Walker tight with Stones moving over to the right for cover or cut off the supply from Griezmann who runs the show from the middle of the park. This would be a job for Rice and would suit him.
Both teams look better on the break and therefore I expect Southgate to go for a more defensive lineup with the inevitable outcry from the usual suspects on here and down the pub.
Fact is pragmatic wins you matches and this is the World Cup where winning in any way is paramount.
As for Dembele, am hoping Shaw has enough in his locker to keep him quiet.
We need to be fast as lightning on the break,its the sort of match where Sterling would thrive.
Let's hope he's back in the team camp as soon as possible.
stu1
Has liked: 657 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

I’ll be quite surprised if we don’t line up with a back 5 against France. I expect to the see Walker at RCB who will be primarily tasked with keeping Mbappe quiet, most likely with support from Trippier at RWB.

The problem with this formation is that whilst it makes us more solid on the right, it exposes Maguire for his lack of pace on the left, which will be a concern vs Dembele.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Cant see anything other than a loss I'm afraid. - France will go all the way. - Mbappe's unbelievable.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

I wouldn't have Sterling anywhere near this game personally. Its not a match where he's going to have lot of tap in opportunities, therefore he'd be very ineffective. Saka, Rashford, Foden even Grealish would be ahead of him for me atm.

Personally id be going unchanged. I know there is a temptation to go 5 at the back, but I believe a hardworking midfield trio of Rice, Bellingham and Henderson allows you to keep 4 at the back whilst being defensively solid.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:24 am I wouldn't have Sterling anywhere near this game personally. Its not a match where he's going to have lot of tap in opportunities, therefore he'd be very ineffective.
You really think all Sterling offers are tap ins?
It's his pace and ball holding skills that are important in this match (same with Saka).
Having said that I don't think he will change the front three.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Shabu wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 amJust wrong
So wrong that you had to say it twice
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

My main hope is that Southgate sets us up to win the game and score more goals than them, rather than overly focus on the french strengths. They have weaknesses as well, lets exploit those. Another exit with a whimper is not acceptable.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

simonirons wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:09 am Cant see anything other than a loss I'm afraid. - France will go all the way. - Mbappe's unbelievable.
Nah, walker is going to man mark him out of the game, just keep maguire away from him
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Maguires been 1 of our best and consistent performers this World Cup (as he tends to do every Tournament), it's his partner Stones in an England shirt that can every now and again give me kittens (no Zouma pun intended).

I'm in 2 minds as to whether we go with a 3 at the back or keep it as a 2, as I see good arguments for both. At the moment I'm leaning slightly towards a 2 with 2 holding midfielders in Henderson and Rice.
Misko
Has liked: 462 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by Misko »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:13 pm My main hope is that Southgate sets us up to win the game and score more goals than them, rather than overly focus on the french strengths. They have weaknesses as well, lets exploit those. Another exit with a whimper is not acceptable.
From what I've read, there is a clear weakness at the RB position. Pavard, Koundé and Disasi are all centre backs who clearly lack of speed and experience at RB. Well Pavard does have a bit of experience, but he is apprently clearly out of form. There is also a clear weak link in the midfield with Rabiot. He is talented but his concentration is a major issue. From an external point of view (once again, I don't watch the competition), with players like Bellingham and pacey wingers, England seem to have what it needs to beat France.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

On paper they should have a real chance this year. I think, as a nation, we're stuck between thinking of ourselves as true giants capable of winning the World Cup, and thinking of ourselves as plucky underdogs. How they progress from here depends on how Southgate approaches the games. I'll be honest and say I won't be too disappointed regardless of how well they do. I'm not much of an England football fan and I'm just enjoying all the games at the moment as a neutral. No emotion attached. France do have weaknesses and they're certainly not unbeatable. Spain aren't either... they have a tendency to be over-elaborate and can get rattled easily. Brazil is a tricky one... they haven't set the world alight but at the same time I think we're yet to see the best of them. And then there's the Netherlands and Portugal - both who I feel have the ability to go all the way to the final if they're on song. There's going to be some really good games in the Qtr Finals.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

LOL. Sterling abandones his teammates because his house was burgled and nobody was harmed.

I though someone was dead or close to it.

Unbelievable. Southgate is as soft as ****.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:22 pm Maguires been 1 of our best and consistent performers this World Cup (as he tends to do every Tournament), it's his partner Stones in an England shirt that can every now and again give me kittens (no Zouma pun intended).
The problem is, until we face France we haven't really faced anything that has tested our defence, so they will look good, the Nations League we faced decent team and we got cracked open in that quite a bit.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm LOL. Sterling abandones his teammates because his house was burgled and nobody was harmed.

I though someone was dead or close to it.

Unbelievable. Southgate is as soft as ****.
I’d say you were fishing but knowing your posting style you probably meant that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Senegal and USA were a good test and we still produced 2 clean sheets (3rd in a row). Sure, France is the ultimate test but can only go on what's been put in front of them and to only concede 2 goals, 1 a dubious late penalty after 4 World Cup games, is still decent work.