England's World Cup chances

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

D C
Has liked: 1094 likes
Total likes: 1431 likes

Re: England's World Cup chances

Post by D C »

I don’t think France are as good as they have been, they have some key players injured, their squad is a bit imbalanced and I don’t rate Deshamps much despite winning a World Cup already but I still make them favourites against England

I just think England will set up too negatively **** scared of Mbappe and Dembele’s pace stifling our own best assets in the process. France also have the experience of winning

I am hugely pessimistic generally though so happy to be wrong again
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

If we can beat the French I think we go on to win the whole thing....the only problem with that is...well...actually beating the French. Two best teams right now are France and Brazil, and I got the French ahead of Brazil and prefer our chances against them. Hopefully we can do the business against the French and move on but I'm just not seeing it.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Imo if we keep mbappe quiet, we win the match. Problem is keeping mbappe quiet will be very difficult.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 pm Imo if we keep mbappe quiet, we win the match. Problem is keeping mbappe quiet will be very difficult.
Walker is about the only one who maybe can match him for pace. Trying to keep old Mmmbop in his pocket for 90 minutes is a tall order.
Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Post by Shabu »

Have we scored the most but let in the least?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Thought of the day:

- The Nation to be unbeaten in all matches
- The Nation to have 3 clean sheets in a row
- Conceding the lowest amount of goals with 2
- Scored the most of any Team with 12 goals

Clue: It ain't the current World Champion favourites, France....

😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏆
#Itsonlybloodycominghome
Misko
Has liked: 463 likes
Total likes: 1333 likes

Post by Misko »

I tried to make a quick press review about what the French press say about England and the coming QF. Frankly speaking, there is not much to comment, as most of the articles are about M'Bappé. If I had to summarize the content:

- First real test for Les Bleus in the World Cup so far
- Young, talented, pacey team
- Not the big stars of the past, but a better cohesion and team spirit
- Bellingham has caught the eyes of some journos here, leading them to consider him as the X factor
- Plaudits for Kane dropping deep, and being a real danger with passing when he was feared as a serial striker before
- Concentration and defensive solidity are tagged as questionable, the USA and Senegal clean sheets don't make it for a defense who struggle against fast attackers to chase down

There is actually nothing much in all the articles I could read. There is respect but no fear, I would say. Just a little worry because of France's weakness at RB, and it is though England will try to use it.

There were a couple of articles to talk about Walker who will probably be the one marking M'Bappé. There is also an article explaining the immense pressure that Southgate is facing from English media. This article is actually very positive towards the manager.

That's about it so far. Many new articles will be published in the coming days, for sure.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Misko wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:27 am I tried to make a quick press review about what the French press say about England and the coming QF. Frankly speaking, there is not much to comment, as most of the articles are about M'Bappé. If I had to summarize the content:

- Bellingham has caught the eyes of some journos here, leading them to consider him as the X factor
- Plaudits for Kane dropping deep, and being a real danger with passing when he was feared as a serial striker before
- Concentration and defensive solidity are tagged as questionable, the USA and Senegal clean sheets don't make it for a defense who struggle against fast attackers to chase down

There is actually nothing much in all the articles I could read. There is respect but no fear, I would say. Just a little worry because of France's weakness at RB, and it is though England will try to use it.

There were a couple of articles to talk about Walker who will probably be the one marking M'Bappé. There is also an article explaining the immense pressure that Southgate is facing from English media. This article is actually very positive towards the manager.

That's about it so far. Many new articles will be published in the coming days, for sure.
What sort of season is Pavard having, as I am surprised Deschamps starts Kounde over him? It is also a shame for France, Ngolo Kante was ruled out of selection, due to injury. He doesn't start much for Chelsea anymore, but he would've been a key player for you against England and would've stuck to Bellingham in your midfield
IronRhino
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Misko wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:27 am I tried to make a quick press review about what the French press say about England and the coming QF. Frankly speaking, there is not much to comment, as most of the articles are about M'Bappé. If I had to summarize the content:

Thanks for sharing Misko, I suspect a bit like here most of the press so far has been focussed on celebrating the win, but as the match gets nearer there will be more focus on the opposition
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

IronRhino wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:56 am but as the match gets nearer there will be more focus on Mbappe
This is all it's going to be all week mate. It's all anyone ever talks about when they are playing.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

That's now Germany, Spain and Belgium all out before the quarters.

👀
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

The winner out of the France England game would not have a better chance to get into a final
r99c
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Garry wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:05 pm The winner out of the France England game would not have a better chance to get into a final
Apart from us in 2018? :grin: It's looking like probably Portugal after France if we win, who have a very good squad and may hold some kind of x-factor over us after knocking us out in 04 and 06. Morocco though also certainly seem better than our QF opponents Sweden last time too, so on that basis much tougher than last time.

But I also think we are better this time.
BrumHammer
Has liked: 3456 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by BrumHammer »

It actually looks like we're at least as good as anyone else left (France and Brazil probably). This is a strange feeling :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I was thinking today, that people coming up to pensionable age are unlikely to be old enough to have any recollection of the occasion we won it and do any of you know, only 16 teams took part?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1821 likes
Total likes: 2420 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I knew that, yes, but I didn’t recall there being two group stages at the 1982 World Cup. Was that a one-off?
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:48 pm He's not wrong though.
Sadly, I agree..
Samba

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:59 pm Ultimately we will beat ourselves.

It's the English way.
Sadly, I agree..
Samba

Post by Samba »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 pm Imo if we keep mbappe quiet, we win the match. Problem is keeping mbappe quiet will be very difficult.
Sadly, I agree.. I gotta think of something new..
Samba

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 pm I knew that, yes, but I didn’t recall there being two group stages at the 1982 World Cup. Was that a one-off?
Was the last World Cup to feature two rounds of group stages.