England's World Cup chances

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Re: England's World Cup chances

Post by brownout »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 pm I knew that, yes, but I didn’t recall there being two group stages at the 1982 World Cup. Was that a one-off?
I think so. Groups of 4 then of 3.
It didn't work.
England drew both games 0.0 but went out because West Germany beat Spain 2.1 (although we had the advantage of playing last so knowing what was needed v Spain). If only Brooking & Keegan had been able to play more than the last 20 minutes of the Spain game - we looked a different team once our best two players came on.
IronRhino
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by IronRhino »

France, Portugal and Brazil, how sweet would that be
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2618 likes

Post by sendô »

Misko wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:27 am I tried to make a quick press review about what the French press say about England and the coming QF.
Thanks Misko. We’re all appreciative of whatever you share. It’s always interesting to hear what other nations think of us now whilst we’re actually looking competitive .
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Before the WC started I expected us to have a pretty dour WC, but get through "just" to the QF and go out to a "big" team. I have been proven very wrong, we have in the main looked an excellent side and sort of breezed through, playing some excellent football,with only maybe a couple of small cracks in defence a couple of times (against pace) - superb effort considering we have played 4 games against decent teams that we have made to look pretty ordinary (bar USA), but even in that game, we looked comfortable.

Now we may well go out on Saturday, if we do, I hope it's very close and it's not due to us setting up completely to stop France, we have the players/team to impose our game on France for periods of the game. Southgate can be too pragmatic at times, bit like our Moyes, let the leash off a bit please Sir Gareth. I get why the pundits are talking a back 3, I think back 4 with Walker ar RB, plus Henderson covering that side, let Rice do his thing, leaving Bellingham (what a player this WC) to certainly do his thing.

I get why most are just talking about Mbappe, he is outstanding, but Dembele, all be it his final ball has been missing a fair bit has been pretty on it in causing teams issues. Think our midfield is better than theirs, usually in football terms that means we have the edge as a team, I still though make France slight favourites.

One thing for sure, been very proud of the team and players, huge credit goes to Southgate, coaching staff and the players and just BRING IT ON for Saturday!
swash
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 190 likes

Post by swash »

Deccers missed trianing due to illness according to the BBC :shocker:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 pm I knew that, yes, but I didn’t recall there being two group stages at the 1982 World Cup. Was that a one-off?
Not a one-off, a group stage was used for the second round in 1974 and 1978 too, but 1982 was the only tournament as far as England are concerned.
Surprised you forgot us going out despite not conceding a goal in the second round.
Misko
Has liked: 463 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by Misko »

swash wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:32 pm Deccers missed trianing due to illness according to the BBC :shocker:
The same happened to M'Bappé yesterday. He was in the stands to see his PSG teammate Hakimi eliminating Spain, though.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

France's Moussa Dembele, right? Which one is he, the geezer who used to play for Spurs, or the one who was at Fulham and then went onto to Celtic, because I believe they are are not the same player, although I could be wrong
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:40 pm France's Moussa Dembele, right? Which one is he, the geezer who used to play for Spurs, or the one who was at Fulham and then went onto to Celtic, because I believe they are are not the same player, although I could be wrong
:crylol:
Misko

Post by Misko »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:40 pm France's Moussa Dembele, right? Which one is he, the geezer who used to play for Spurs, or the one who was at Fulham and then went onto to Celtic, because I believe they are are not the same player, although I could be wrong
Moussa Dembélé is Belgian. The French one is Moussa Dembélé, though he is now considering opting for the Malian selection.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Misko wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:17 pm Moussa Dembélé is Belgian. The French one is Moussa Dembélé, though he is now considering opting for the Malian selection.
Do Les Bleus fans sing,

One Moussa Dembele
There's only one Moussa Dembele?

Because, there are definitely two of him
Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Post by Shabu »

Strangely enough of the 14 European teams that qualified for WC 82, four countries no longer exist as they did then (Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union, West Germany & Yugoslavia) & one no longer plays football (Scotland).
Misko

Post by Misko »

As expected, there are more and more articles in the French press about England, and more specifically about their players.

Kyle Walker is under the spotlights here. The coming duel with M'Bappé is focusing most of the media attention, and there are extensive presentations of the City player who is not so well known here. The media are also very positive about Jude Bellingham, they are really impressed by his WC so far. There are also many concerns about the right side of the French defense. Koundé hasn't convinced anyone, and the journalists are somewhat worried to see him facing a player like Foden.
IronRhino
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by IronRhino »

No Croatia v Brazil thread?
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Wonder if the French squad like lasagne?..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

My take on ths is despite all the good play from Croatia, Brazil look more like the team with a goal in them
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

Winners tomorrow at 7pm win the cup I reckon.

2 best squads, 2 best teams.

Croatia have a resilience that will be hard to beat but I think they will fall short.

Then again, the way this WC has gone, it could be Portugal or Holland.

I’m going to suggest England to beat Holland in the final..
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Believer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:11 pm Croatia have a resilience that will be hard to beat but I think they will fall short.
Maybe... I can't help but think we'd have done better against Brazil though. If only Croatia weren't so good at penalty shootouts... I have a bad feeling about that.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I would say they have just risen byy about 50 %
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:23 pm Maybe... I can't help but think we'd have done better against Brazil though. If only Croatia weren't so good at penalty shootouts... I have a bad feeling about that.
Brazil were never really pressured at the back which was strange as they left both wing back positions wide open time after time.