British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

Post by S-H »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:17 am Both have an even split of games, 24 group games each then half of each knock out stage.
BBC seem to have weighted their picks towards the final round of group fixtures.

ITV get first pick on last 16 and QF games.
BBC get first pick on SF.
Both will show the final.
:newthumb:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:09 am Can’t stand Souness but Laura Woods is always excellent. Really knows her stuff when I listen to TalkSport.
Laura is the stand out presenter of the world cup for me. Very refreshing.
Knows her stuff but isn't opinionated and comfortable talking to any pundit. Comes across as respectful without being overawed or up the pundits backsides.

Pougatch close second. He has always been a decent anchor.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Ally Mcoist has gotta be the best pundit so far in this tournament
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Agreed. Light on the cliches and the sound bites. Just solid understated insight
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Enjoying Dean Saunders on talksport’s commentary. His delivery is excellent and he talks more like a fan with added tactical experience of being a player and manager.

Suarez was playing as if he had a ‘piano on his back’ earlier!
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

kenthammer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:11 pm Ally Mcoist has gotta be the best pundit so far in this tournament
Absolutely agree with this.

Pretty much all the rest, I just mentally switch off. The match commentators sycophantic diatribe when the "big" names are playing is, frankly, embarrassing. I think the pinnacle so far is the commentary and pictures on the Portugal, sorry Ronaldo V Ghana earlier today; truly vomit inducing. You could almost hear their belts and zips being undone when Portugal, sorry Ronaldo, were given the penalty.

As for Clive Tyldesley...................
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Last year, for the first game of the group stage of Eutropa League, OL played at Ibrox. I watched it through a streaming link and McCoist indeed impressed me by the quality of his comments and his ability to remain fair despite the obvious bias he had for such a game. :newthumb:
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

kenthammer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:11 pm Ally Mcoist has gotta be the best pundit so far in this tournament
Wish there was a like button for this.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

ITV have the better of the hosts, pundits and commentators (with exception of the prat that is Clive Tyilesley) than the Beeb …. Bloody ads annoy me though.

Laura Woods and Mark Pougatch are good anchors

McCoist just for his comment in the Japan v Germany

Matterface: All Germany journalists and commentators threw their hands up in the air in disgust when Japan took the lead (paraphrased)

McCoist: I know…. Magic isn’t it. :lol:
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:32 am Any pictures of gay people being themselves without being arrested?
I listened to Lianne Sanderson on Talksport on the eve of the tournament address this exact issue. She said as an openly gay woman that this was now her seventh visit Qatar and loves going there as she feels very safe. Her partner was on the way out to join her once again for the trip as they had taken vacation there previously. She also said she was beginning to get tired of reading twitter opinion from people that she knew who weren’t even out there to pass comment, these were people that she had played with and spent time with in Qatar, who had previously not had an issue with visiting and competing.
As for the original posters observation regarding a certain broadcasters moralistic position. It’s a bit like the one love arm band situation, they either stand for their cause and pay the penalty of their beliefs or run the risk of appearing disingenuous when tested.
My personal opinion is that there are quite a fair few that have joined in on the Qatar bashing because if they’re seen not to have condemned it publicly on twitter then they become the odd ones out
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

FrankieMacsPerm wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:04 am ITV have the better of the hosts, pundits and commentators (with exception of the prat that is Clive Tyilesley) than the Beeb …. Bloody ads annoy me though.

Laura Woods and Mark Pougatch are good anchors

McCoist just for his comment in the Japan v Germany

Matterface: All Germany journalists and commentators threw their hands up in the air in disgust when Japan took the lead (paraphrased)

McCoist: I know…. Magic isn’t it. :lol:
Sorry have disagree Pougatch is a twat.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

ITV are leagues ahead these days. Better hosts, better pundits, better commentary. Weird turnaround from the days of Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend. They even have the better intro graphic sequence which used to be the BBC's pride and joy.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 am ITV are leagues ahead these days. Better hosts, better pundits, better commentary. Weird turnaround from the days of Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend. They even have the better intro graphic sequence which used to be the BBC's pride and joy.
No 4K, terrible 1080p picture quality. ITV Hub is an abomination that no one should suffer if not using Tv and of course ads. It is not even close for me. BBC all the way (I don’t care about pundits I don’t watch them).
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

I have given up with commentaries and any pre/half time/post match chat. I normally have music going instead. Just another opinion on what can be seen given the numerous number of replays, plus it doesn't change anything. Plenty to do before/after and even during a 15 minute break.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:03 am No 4K, terrible 1080p picture quality. ITV Hub is an abomination that no one should suffer if not using Tv and of course ads. It is not even close for me. BBC all the way (I don’t care about pundits I don’t watch them).
ITV Hub has gone now !
As for quality of picture, I’d still rather watch an old style picture with Brian Moore or Barry Davies commentating than the current BBC offering with UHD.
As for their 4k uhd, I watch tonnes of that format from various sources including iplayer drama stuff and they all look great. The BBC live uhd has appalling colour contrast. I have no idea what they do to it. I’ve also seen other live 4k uhd formats from china and the US for this World Cup and it looks unbelievable compared to what the BBC are giving me.
Itv with or without the picture are hands down more down to earth with their presentation team. The BBC feels more like a boys club with silly in jokes and puns. Micah Richards offers no insight to tactics and just giggles the whole time like a Rusty Lee impersonator. Its ridiculous. Laura Woods and Pougatch are streets ahead of Linaker too as they try and chair the panel of pundits rather than being part of the punditry team like Linaker is. Itv have also put together a title sequence and music that reflects where the World cup is being held rather than a poorly put together player screensaver with crap music like the BBC have done.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Lee Dixon massively dragging ITV down.

His co coms have been dreadful. Didn't stop moaning about England v USA and offered very little insight into the game. What is the point in having him? We can all moan about the team not being good enough.

Agree that McCoist has been the stand out co commentator so far. Seems to work very well with Jon Campion too.
Laura Woods the stand out presenter.
Micha Richards with Wrighty and Gary Neville would be my ideal pundit team.
Alex Scott pitch side with Big John Hartson (if there was enough room, I'd squeeze Joe Cole in too).

Gary Lineker, Roy Keane, Lee Dixon and Sam Matterface on the next plane home please!
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Just when you think the BBC coverage could not get any worse they go and add Alan Smith. Headbanger
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:19 am ITV are leagues ahead these days. Better hosts, better pundits, better commentary. Weird turnaround from the days of Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend. They even have the better intro graphic sequence which used to be the BBC's pride and joy.
Jon Champion and Peter Drury are the best 2 commentators(both ITV)

McCoist best Co-Commentator

Souness,best pundit.

Laura Woods,best host and eye candy :winker:
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

The BBC are finished. No one wants to pay the TV license for the sh*te it serves up on a daily basis.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 pm The BBC are finished. No one wants to pay the TV license for the sh*te it serves up on a daily basis.
I certainly do.
Outstanding value for money.