British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

jabbaglob123
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

Post by jabbaglob123 »

I've been thinking about this all day. But I can't understand why all the presenters for British TV coverage have gone out to Qatar? Surely with technology these days they could present it in a studio back in the UK?

Like it's such an easy PR own goal that could have been avoided.

Watching the BBC presenters try and justify why they were there earlier today was nauseating to say the least. Would respect them a lot more if they just said because of the money.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Re: British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:30 pm

Watching the BBC presenters try and justify why they were there earlier today was nauseating to say the least. Would respect them a lot more if they just said because of the money.
I would imagine they'd still get paid even if their coverage was broadcast from the UK.

Its the Gary Nevilles of this world that wind me up with the hypocrisy of actually working for Qatari broadcasters whilst bitching about the country and its human rights problems.
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

The BEIN sports coverage is pretty much constant propaganda. It’s already grating and there’s only been one game!

To be fair, it’s hard to report objectively on the place if you’ve never been there…
jabbaglob123

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Haarlemammer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:10 am The BEIN sports coverage is pretty much constant propaganda. It’s already grating and there’s only been one game!

To be fair, it’s hard to report objectively on the place if you’ve never been there…
Propaganda for Qatar or for Eddie Howe's mighty magpie's? ,😉
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

lets not forget newcastle , man city and PSG are all owned by similar regimes.
simon hammer
Has liked: 957 likes
Total likes: 739 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Haarlemammer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:10 am
Exactly. Stay in the UK and that's the accusation...travel out there like they have done and "should have stayed home and not gone into that regime" is the accusation.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. And if that's the case, well...may as well get some winter sun right!
jabbaglob123

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Haarlemammer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:10 am The BEIN sports coverage is pretty much constant propaganda. It’s already grating and there’s only been one game!

Thing is these presenters won't be seeing the reall
Qatar. They'll be smoozed by Qatari's and Sheikhs as part of a propaganda overdrive.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I thought the BBC’s opening 20 minutes yesterday was excellent. It was objective and fair without being sensationalist. If they don’t cover it and discuss the other issues they’ll be accused of sport washing.

What I don’t like is people like Neville who say one thing here and then go and take Qatari money. Says he’ll raise the issues out there but you’re not going to be slagging off the hand that feeds you right?
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Neville is a complete and utter prat and always has been a massive hypocrite in football, Salford, the super league, Sky, Qatar, all of it, give him a pound note and he will say and support anything
r99c
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Was pleased when the English fan supporters federation guy was on the BBC coverage prior to the game yesterday saying that everything was pretty much decent.

Already seen plenty of Twitter videos from people having a great time and going in pubs in downtown Doha etc.

Once again, I think we will have the media spin on negativity, much like we had prior to Euro 2012 in Poland/Ukraine (constant hysteria about apparent hooliganism), World Cup 2018 in Russia and then afterwards everyone who went said it was awesome.
jastons
Has liked: 882 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by jastons »

I posted in the match thread yesterday - the ultra HD picture quality of the BBC broadcast was great. I hope ITV can match it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

r99c wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am Was pleased when the English fan supporters federation guy was on the BBC coverage prior to the game yesterday saying that everything was pretty much decent.

Already seen plenty of Twitter videos from people having a great time and going in pubs in downtown Doha etc.

Once again, I think we will have the media spin on negativity, much like we had prior to Euro 2012 in Poland/Ukraine (constant hysteria about apparent hooliganism), World Cup 2018 in Russia and then afterwards everyone who went said it was awesome.
Any pictures of gay people being themselves without being arrested?

Or any reports on the authorities going back on their promises of creating places for jewish people to pray or buy kosher food?
r99c
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

No but did hear about a terrorist attack against th, oh wait no, that was in USA home of the western world.

Hypocrites
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

ITV coverage is my preference. The best commentator/ co commentator combo in Jon Champion and Ally McCoist. The best host in Laura Woods and decent input imo from Joe Cole and Souness.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:47 am ITV coverage is my preference. The best commentator/ co commentator combo in Jon Champion and Ally McCoist. The best host in Laura Woods and decent input imo from Joe Cole and Souness.
Can’t stand Souness but Laura Woods is always excellent. Really knows her stuff when I listen to TalkSport.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:47 am ITV coverage is my preference. The best commentator/ co commentator combo in Jon Champion and Ally McCoist. The best host in Laura Woods and decent input imo from Joe Cole and Souness.
Shame the picture quality is garbage and their online 'Hub' is an abomination, BBC wins hands down in that department - HD in 2022.. and the streaming bitrate of the offical stream belongs in 2005. Watching a Yank feed instead (FS1 though the commentary is truly awful)
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

I tried to log on to the ITV website about 10 minutes into the Argentina Vs Saudi Arabia match, but couldn't remember my password. The game is now over, and they still haven't sent me the link to change my details.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

Agree with wolf, the ITV hub is a joke. iPlayer is much better.

Most of the coverage and pundits nonetheless remain annoying. Same old talking heads spouting the same nonsense. How the f*** are ITV taking Souness and Keane away with them still? Jemaine ****ing Jenas still gets a job co commentating, somehow, despite being the most boring man alive. Dion Dublin is similarly painful. The biggest issue for me though is still, after all of these years, the BBC cannot find someone better and cheaper than Gary smugface Linekar to say "on today's show"...
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Spot on Sendo.

I've been using SkyGo for ITV which has been working fine so far.

Regarding pundits, when Neville started I thought he was really good and a breathe of fresh air. The last two years or so he has gone down the same route as the others in pretty much having nothing valuable to add.

I have no idea how Jenas keeps getting picked up for these, he is on par with Michael Owen for punditry.

Souness and Keane have run out of ideas, along with Lineker and Shearer who are well past being able to provide valuable insight. They've really made the most of the gravy train.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Tbh they all grate on me to varying degrees. And I don't need three has beens to tell me what I 've already seen. Money for old rope.