British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

brothernero
Has liked: 706 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Re: British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

Post by brothernero »

mushy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:24 pm I certainly do.
Outstanding value for money.
They could knock 90% of the TV licence fee and it would still not be value for money.

They were once the best, but now one of the worst.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Lee Dixon, Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Martin Keown, Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand all need to be taken around the back and melted into glue.

Talking heads that offer nothing but cliches.
S-H
Has liked: 5721 likes
Total likes: 9640 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:32 pm Lee Dixon, Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Martin Keown, Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand all need to be taken around the back and melted into glue.

Couldn't agree more.

Epic Thunderc*nts, the lot of 'em.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3124 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:32 pm Lee Dixon, Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Martin Keown, Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand all need to be taken around the back and melted into glue.

I love watching Roy Keane get angry about stuff to the extent that the other pundits start to fear for their lives, so he gets a pass for me.

I'm possibly the only person in the country who doesn't find Lineker insufferable too. Fills the smarmy presenter gap left by Des Lynam well enough, although we definitely don't need to see him every game.

The rest are all a waste of space. Binning off Lawro was a step in the right direction, but they need to follow through on that. No one should be in there because of the status they once had in the game. I want to hear some genuine insight into the game or an actual enthusiasm for football. Sometimes even both???

Someone made a point the other day (possibly on here) that Ally McCoist is so refreshing partly because he actually seems to enjoy watching goals being scored rather than instantly launching into a deconstruction of all the defensive problems that led to them. That's an incredible point really, one which the broadcasters have completely lost.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

jenas is the one i really don't understand. i swear he must have an uncle at the top of the freemasons or something. clinically uninteresting individual who can't even coast on past glories like the old guard (as a tottenham player, he had none).

found his level with the one show. the TV equivalent of nan's late afternoon valium.

on the flip side i've enjoyed andros townsend being paired with seb hutchinson. bloke has gone to the ally mccoist punditry school of trying to actually convey the joy of the game and seb is the best new commentator in years for my money.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:57 pm jenas is the one i really don't understand. i swear he must have an uncle at the top of the freemasons or something. clinically uninteresting individual who can't even coast on past glories like the old guard (as a tottenham player, he had none).

found his level with the one show. the TV equivilent of nan's late afternoon valium.

on the flip side i've enjoyed andros townsend being paired with seb hutchinson. bloke has gone to the ally mccoist punditry school of trying to actually convey the joy of the game and seb is the best new commentator in years for my money.
Yes i like Andros Townsend as well
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Roy Keane is brilliant best of the bunch
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

spare a thought for those of us who have to watch Fox's coverage of the event.

great piece here from the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -tv-soccer

In a big tournament you always want your biggest players to show up, and Lalas, who often gives the impression that he’s being paid by the decibel, has not let the Fox team down this Mundial. From his post at the end of the panel, the big man in the Maga-lite suit has delivered his signature rants with all the enthusiasm of someone who’s blown past the discomfort of knowing that no one else on set finds him interesting or funny. Player rating: 10 out of 10. In support, Dempsey has been dim but fundamentally lovable, Dr Joe Machnik has brought all the authority of his credentials as a non-medical doctor (he has a PhD) and member of the Connecticut Soccer Association Hall of Fame to bear on the important task of quoting verbatim from the laws of the game, and Stu Holden still hasn’t stopped talking from America’s opening match.

Donovan, meanwhile, has pulled off the impressive trick of being both exceptionally boring and weirdly aggressive. In a sport that thrives on innovation, Donovan has developed a kind of anti-chemistry in his rapport with English co-commentator Ian Darke – built on dead air, the flat affect of a Benzoed accountant, and negging (sample own from the Spain v Costa Rica match: “Seven nil looks like an NFL score – you wouldn’t know anything about that Ian”) – that feels genuinely fresh.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:57 pm jenas is the one i really don't understand. i swear he must have an uncle at the top of the freemasons or something. clinically uninteresting individual who can't even coast on past glories like the old guard (as a tottenham player, he had none).

found his level with the one show. the TV equivalent of nan's late afternoon valium.

Compulsive liar too, the amount of times he has said I played with them or against them and the were years before or after him, or things that didn't happen
'stone hammer
Has liked: 716 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Can't get enough of Laura Woods, concise and intelligent, and rather easy on the eye.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

kenthammer
Has liked: 244 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Can someone tell me what Eli Anuko brings to the table,tried watching her a few times and she is awful
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1143 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

kenthammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:07 pm Can someone tell me what Eli Anuko brings to the table,tried watching her a few times and she is awful
Ticks some boxes no doubt.
Shabu
Has liked: 4150 likes
Total likes: 2004 likes

Post by Shabu »

Every game I've watched so far has had Spanish commentary (except one). And I've got no complaints.

The one exception was today when I was laying by the pool and saw Japan Croatia was heading into extra time so I looked for a live YouTube stream.

It was after Japan had scored their fourth goal I realised I was watching some w@nker playing a video game :oops:
Polaroid
Has liked: 609 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Shabu wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:06 am It was after Japan had scored their fourth goal I realised I was watching some w@nker playing a video game :oops:
:crylol:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

too many sherberts no doubt

the worse female is karen carney, awful gratng voice . laura woods is lovely to watch in action though !

a good jolly for the so upset brigade but we will take the money anyway.

ally mcCoist is probably the best mens co commentator
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:41 am too many sherberts no doubt

the worse female is karen carney, awful gratng voice . laura woods is lovely to watch in action though !

a good jolly for the so upset brigade but we will take the money anyway.

ally mcCoist is probably the best mens co commentator
Bit misogynistic, I'm sure if Karen looked as lovely as Laura you wouldn't be complaining about her 'awful grating voice'
S-H
Has liked: 5721 likes
Total likes: 9640 likes

Post by S-H »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:57 am Bit misogynistic, I'm sure if Karen looked as lovely as Laura you wouldn't be complaining about her 'awful grating voice'
Nothing to do with looks.

Carney is bloody irritating.

Woods is a class act, a superb sports presenter across multiple sporting platforms, the fact she's rather handsome, is a mere bonus.
D C
Has liked: 1094 likes
Total likes: 1431 likes

Post by D C »

Pundits and journos that complain about dancing or over the top skill to beat a man should be banned from watching the sport. The dancing isn’t for me but football is supposed to be entertaining and I can’t believe the amount that want it to be this regimented formulaic sport played by robots

Not really including Keane in this as it’s all part of the character he plays as a pundit, he’s quite clearly acting the grumpy **** on purpose now it’s just his shtick
swisstony
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by swisstony »