British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Re: British TV coverage of Qatar World Cup

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:50 am Carney is bloody irritating.
That she is. closely followed by Fara Williams IMO. I think it's the voices.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1821 likes
Total likes: 2420 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Keane's the only vaguely tolerable studio pundit, IMO. Yeah, he plays up the grouch bit a little, but it's impossible not to respect his opinions. I'm not sure there's a footballer on the planet I loathed as much as him during his playing days, but there's no question, he's a good bloke off the pitch, as well as a terrific storyteller. Plus he's actually quite funny, something your Redknapps, Carraghers and Dixons know very little about.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:32 pm Lee Dixon, Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Martin Keown, Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand all need to be taken around the back and melted into glue.

Talking heads that offer nothing but cliches.
Yes please.
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

:smiler:
'stone hammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:07 pm Can't get enough of Laura Woods, concise and intelligent, and rather easy on the eye.
Born in Dagenham apparently although the accent only comes through on rare occasions. Supports the Arseoles though so its a no from me as that's unforgiveable in my eyes.
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

sendô wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:59 pm That she is. closely followed by Fara Williams IMO. I think it's the voices.
Generally my opinion is there are far too many of these women ex-players who are now spouting supposedly expert opinions on the men's game.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:19 pm Generally my opinion is there are far too many of these women ex-players who are now spouting supposedly expert opinions on the men's game.
But it's fine for men to do the same for the women's game?

The double standards are unreal.
S-H
Has liked: 5722 likes
Total likes: 9641 likes

Post by S-H »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:50 pm But it's fine for men to do the same for the women's game?

The double standards are unreal.
I don't see you calling out posters for being critical of the majority of male ex Pros stealing a living on our TV screens, of which there are many.

Why is that?
Last edited by S-H on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrumHammer
Has liked: 3456 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by BrumHammer »

Keane winding up the Brazilians about their dancing, Rio saying France aren't as good a team as England - stop motivating the other teams! :lol: :twisted:
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Commentator on the Spain v Morocco game didn’t tell viewers that Morocco would win if they scored that final penalty.
Assume he hadn’t worked that out.
Pretty poor.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Not sure why the sudden need to bring in women all over the place. The gruff voiced manager knows her stuff, I didn't think Eni Aluko was that bad. I really like Mina Raizuki (sp?) on 5Lives Euro Leagues programme. The French woman was OK the other night, better than Drogba anyway!

I don't see any reason why women can't give opinions on the men's game. Karney is ok, certainly a step on on Jermaine ****ing Jenius and Dion Dublin that's for certain.
S-H
Has liked: 5722 likes
Total likes: 9641 likes

Post by S-H »

I'd rather listen to 90 minutes of dudes having their testicles popped in a vice, than hear Jermaine Jenas pretend he knows about football, the festering, bell-sniff.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

To be fair Id happily have only women do punditry on every single game than have to listen to the expert advice of Jermain Jenas ever again.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The main problem, as I see it, is that the majority of the pundits are ex-players and not Ex managers or coaches. Therefore, the majority of their 'comment' is neither helpful or insightful. Often it will support the commentators cliched and predictable drivel or their own prejudices. Just think, you are paying their substantial wages!!!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

let's not forget Alan Smith..

I'd dearly like to but he keeps showing up.....

and as I mentioned before there's really no one on the US panel of "experts" I'd like to keep.

or the commentary team either for that matter...

the Guardian link had it spot on.

Lalas gets paid by the decibel and Stu Holden can't stop talking.

it's like he's on Colombian Marching Powder.....

:swear:
funky chicken
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1237 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I think it would be easier to the name the presenters, commentators and pundits we do all enjoy listening to, there’s that many sh*t ones.

The BBC without question take the award for the sh*ttest bunch. And the worst thing about that is we pay for the displeasure!

The smug Gary Lineker who loves to shove politics down your throat. The wooden Alex Scott, who constantly sounds like she is reading from a script. Not to mention a complete hypocrite with her protests on screen. Jermaine Jenas, just why? A nothing player who played as many times for England as Matthew Upson did. Rio Ferdinand, a complete bellend. Alan Shearer who says the word ‘poor’ as if he has tourettes. Micah Richards who laughs at everything. Klinsmann and Williams, yawn.

Mark Chapman and Jonathan Pearce are good at their job. And so is Gabby Logan. Let alone very good to look at! :wink:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

I’d add that Kelly Cates is outstanding on the BBC World Cup daily podcast, especially when you consider the amount of idiots she has to contend with, most of which have already been named.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Good pundits/commentators/presenters

Ally McCoist
Kelly Cates
Tim Vickery
Roy Keane
Gary Neville
Mark Chapman
funky chicken
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1237 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:15 am I’d add that Kelly Cates is outstanding on the BBC World Cup daily podcast, especially when you consider the amount of idiots she has to contend with, most of which have already been named.
Yep. She’s another who is very good at her job.
Denbighammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:32 am Good pundits/commentators/presenters

Ally McCoist
Kelly Cates
Tim Vickery
Roy Keane
Gary Neville
Mark Chapman
Can’t disagree with a lot of those. Ally McCoist in particular is criminally underused. How the likes of Sky and BT haven’t signed him up to cover more of the other football competitions I will never know.
jastons
Has liked: 882 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by jastons »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:19 pm Generally my opinion is there are far too many of these women ex-players who are now spouting supposedly expert opinions on the men's game.
The female pundits are no worse than the vast majority of the males.

I don't care what gender the pundits or commentators are. If they are good then fair enough, if they are rubbish then get them away from my TV. Gender is irrelevant, their ability to do the job is what counts.

Why are you bringing gender into it?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:32 am Good pundits/commentators/presenters

Ally McCoist
Kelly Cates
Tim Vickery
Roy Keane
Gary Neville
Mark Chapman
Big fan of Tim Vickery :thup: