Take the yellow card Harry

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Re: Take the yellow card Harry

Post by delbert »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:48 pm I just read that a German Minister in the stand wore one of the armbands during the game
That is a good response from them
Germans love an armband......
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Last minute of the final group game - mass orgy. Sweat and balls everywhere.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

this is an FA decision from each individual country's F.A.

a World Cup is every player's dream I suppose.

however, if any individual player felt he couldn't go due to personal reasons, he could have gone to his association and explained their reasons for not wanting to go, and if it would hamper their choice to play for their country in future. my guess is that anyone commentating in the red tops about their reasons for not going wouldn't be in danger of future appearances imvho.

to me that would have been more of a stand than anything else. no way any player is going to Qatar and changing the philosophy of that regime. none.

I would have much more respect for any player doing so. all this other stuff is bolleaux I'm afraid.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 pm Last minute of the final group game - mass orgy. Sweat and balls everywhere.
Phwoar!!!
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

delbert wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 pm Germans love an armband......
:crylol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

delbert wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 pm Germans love an armband......
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

All players on both teams wear armbands, job done! :newthumb:
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

I’m properly conflicted on all this tbh. We are bought up in a society where it’s a given to respect peoples beliefs, opinions and religion and yet we are being asked not to do that because they don’t fit in with our beliefs because we have decided our beliefs are the right beliefs? Still it shows zero backbone not to take the card and is typical FA and Southgate, even the German effort is spineless.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

It is weird how all of the 7 teams that were going to wear the armband suddenly bottled it.

I wonder if FIFA threatened to leak stories in the press about the associations? Let's face it the FA probably have more skeletons in the closet than Rolf Harris.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

delbert wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:47 pm I don't think they get many out there mate........
Only because they banned them..
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

daytimedave wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 am going into someone elses country and telling em how to run their lives again ?
It’s not that though is it. The Rainbow laces are worn in the UK to support inclusion. But it isn’t illegal here is it.
This is the world stage and a massive opportunity to champion whatever cause you support. It just happens to be in a country with such low modern human standards in comparison with the most advanced civilisations.
Known Gay people have successfully travelled to Qatar before without being stoned to death on arrival.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Xabbu wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 pm I’m properly conflicted on all this tbh. We are bought up in a society where it’s a given to respect peoples beliefs, opinions and religion and yet we are being asked not to do that because they don’t fit in with our beliefs because we have decided our beliefs are the right beliefs? Still it shows zero backbone not to take the card and is typical FA and Southgate, even the German effort is spineless.
The key word is belief.... My children believe in Father Christmas, Some believe in a God/Religion, others believe it's bad luck to put new shoes on a table...

A human right is not a belief.

Gay people are being discriminated against for something they cannot change.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

If you live in an Islamic State, belief is law. The word of god and the text from a holy book from 1000s of years ago supersedes pretty much everything for the vast majority of locals in the Middle East.

It may be very hard for those of us living in the free world to get our heads around, but this is the way they have lived for 1000s of years and they are not that concerned about changing to please the masses. You either accept that and live by their rules when you are there, or you simply stay clear and go elsewhere for your holiday.

Sadly with the World Cup being such a unique and global event, there is no option to go elsewhere, that one is on FIFA. It should never have been played in Qatar, but it is. So let's just get on with the football now and leave them to their own little world when it is all done.
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

But bidding to host the world cup is welcoming the world to your country. You can't do that if you're discriminating against a swathe of people who might want to attend.

No one forced them to host this - they should be bending to accept their guest's cultures not the other way round.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Benaloon wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:25 pm But bidding to host the world cup is welcoming the world to your country. You can't do that if you're discriminating against a swathe of people who might want to attend.

No one forced them to host this - they should be bending to accept their guest's cultures not the other way round.
They wanted to have their cake and eat it, by hosting the world cup but still keeping to their culture/beliefs/ laws that are not deemed acceptable by most of the rest of the world - certainly in the majority of the countries that comprise the nations who qualify for the world cup

What should have happened is FIFA said 'no', that is not an option.

Unfortunately they didn't do that, and Qatar got what they wanted. They get to host it on their terms
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

And that's it really isn't it? I'd love to really dig in and call the 7 nations out, the FA's, the players even more but it's all on FIFA really, corruption created this situation and the same corruption is now telling and threatening those same nations. Money...money....money.....
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20538225 ... -cup-iran/

What a hero...wearing a 535 grand watch. :lol:
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

MD_HM wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:02 pm The key word is belief.... My children believe in Father Christmas, Some believe in a God/Religion, others believe it's bad luck to put new shoes on a table...

A human right is not a belief.

Gay people are being discriminated against for something they cannot change.
I agree with you but when belief is linked to religion and religion is fervent and unchallengeable where do you go?
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Xabbu wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:51 pm I agree with you but when belief is linked to religion and religion is fervent and unchallengeable where do you go?
Somewhere that religious beliefs don't persecute people.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

smuts wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:36 pm https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20538225 ... -cup-iran/

What a hero...wearing a 535 grand watch. :lol:
Wow :shock: