Take the yellow card Harry

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Take the yellow card Harry

Post by the pink palermo »

FIFA threatening the England captain with a yellow card if he wears the One Love armband this afternoon.

The same applies to Gareth Bale this evening.

Take the card lads.

:heart:
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1777 likes

Re: Take the yellow card Harry

Post by hammers92 »

100%. I feel this moment will go down as one to remember if he takes the yellow.

Come on Harry. You’re captain for England, lead.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

This whole thing is a ****ing shambles.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Embarrassing from the FA that they're letting pressure about this build on Kane.

As soon as this was threatened there should have been a statement from them either saying that he would be wearing it whatever the consequences or not wearing it and calling out FIFA for further support of a bunch of backwards homophobes.

Lovely PR own goal from FIFA though. This armband stunt had already been waved away as a fairly pathetic little response to Qatar's persecution of gay people but now they've made it the biggest story of day 2 of the tournament.
Bucksexile
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:06 am This whole thing is a ****ing shambles.
A summer football competition being held in November in a country with no footballing history.

What's wrong with that??

What next, North Korea?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I disagree actually. FIFA do not allow any kind of armband linked to a political statement. Those are the rules, simple as that and we shouldn't be considering breaking the rules to win some kind of popularity contest. If we felt that strongly about human rights, we should not have taken part in this world cup.

The whole team can wear rainbow laces if they like, that isn't against the rules as far as I'm aware. But the rules on this poxy armband seem clear and the captain of England has to abide by the rules. We are taught that at a very young age with school uniform.

This feels like little more than just noise to please the media. It is pathetic in my eyes. Get on with playing the World Cup.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

North Korea does have World Cup history, going back to 1966.
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

couldn't they have just designed the shirt with rainbow bands around ?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:19 am I disagree actually. FIFA do not allow any kind of armband linked to a political statement. Those are the rules, simple as that and we shouldn't be considering breaking the rules to win some kind of popularity contest. If we felt that strongly about human rights, we should not have taken part in this world cup.

The whole team can wear rainbow laces if they like, that isn't against the rules as far as I'm aware. But the rules on this poxy armband seem clear and the captain of England has to abide by the rules. We are taught that at a very young age with school uniform.

This feels like little more than just noise to please the media. It is pathetic in my eyes. Get on with playing the World Cup.
Tend to agree with you - the time to make the statement was long before this (boycotting it etc), this is the last thing one of our leading players needs the morning before the game
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:18 am Embarrassing from the FA that they're letting pressure about this build on Kane.
Spot on. Couldn't agree more. This whole episode is a PR f**k up by both FIFA and the FA.

The morning of our opening game in the World Cup Finals and our captain is more worried about being allowed to wear an armband as opposed to the game (hopefully he isn't actually worried at all and is oblivious to it all).

The media are loving it and you just know that all of the pre match and post match interview questions will be about this armband issue.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:06 am This whole thing is a ****ing shambles.
Damn right it is...
The English FA and Team PR is a joke all this fake outrage moral policing is making us look stupid!
They all knew the situation when Qatar was awarded the world cup.
Either make a real statement and pull the team from the tournament or STFU and play football. Ridiculous situation we now find ourselves in.
:clown:
As for the British media don't get me started on them!
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:19 am I disagree actually. FIFA do not allow any kind of armband linked to a political statement. Those are the rules, simple as that and we shouldn't be considering breaking the rules to win some kind of popularity contest. If we felt that strongly about human rights, we should not have taken part in this world cup.

What he said

It's also very rich coming from the home country of the biggest marked for unaccounted wealth within football.
Just why Gulf money is cleaner when spend in the PL is beyond me.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

EastHam56 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:24 am couldn't they have just designed the shirt with rainbow bands around ?
Exactly... a small rainbow down the back of the neck or something... could be in support of NHS, or LGBT.
There was so much that could have been done way in advance of the morning of our first game.

This all just feels like a half arsed attempt at gaining popularity by the FA.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Expressing solidarity with people of all sexuaities is not political. The fact that any of this stuff is being allowed to be turned into a debate is pretty sad in all honesty.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I can't believe there is this much discourse about a two-inch bit of fabric, it won't make a difference if we wear it or don't, Qatar isn't going to change its human rights due to Kane and Bale wearing an armband ffs

If we want to do something refuse to go in the first place or walk off the pitch, that is real action, I mean nobody will care and they will just award the loss but at least that is a real show of character and morals.
Last edited by fmgod on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am Expressing solidarity with people of all sexuaities is not political. The fact that any of this stuff is being allowed to be turned into a debate is pretty sad in all honesty.
It is political. It is a direct statement against a law that exists in Qatar. That is the whole point in wearing the armband in Qatar.

It is an absolutely disgusting, archaic and shocking law... but it is a law of the country you are currently in none the less.
If you do not like the laws of that country, don't go there in the first place.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

going into someone elses country and telling em how to run their lives again ?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Massive U Turn from the FA now... absolute farce...!

So short-sighted.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

Now they will NOT be wearing the armbands..

We look so stupid now :crylol:

This is what happens when you Virtue Signal...
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

It was a complete virtue signal but we haven't got the fortitude to even just take a yellow card if we believe that strongly.