Stoppage Time

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Stoppage Time

Post by NedN »

I’m sure I’m not the only one, but has anyone else noticed that stoppage time appears to be a somewhat more accurate representation of actual stoppages in this World Cup (vs what we see in the leagues), with more extensive stoppage time periods being played?

I know back a few world cups ago, the refs seemed to call softer fouls and that ended up leaching into the officiating in domestic leagues. I wonder if we will see something similar in this regard.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Re: Stoppage Time

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

I think it's excellent. The commentators keep expressing surprise at the amount of time being added on, but if it helps discourage time wasting I'm all for it.

Fat Frank must be praying they don't bring this innovation in the Prem.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by NedN »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 pm I think it's excellent. The commentators keep expressing surprise at the amount of time being added on, but if it helps discourage time wasting I'm all for it.

Fat Frank must be praying they don't bring this innovation in the Prem.
Agreed. It’s funny to me that they keep expressing surprise though…the amount of time that the ball is “in play” has decreased dramatically and seems to decrease each year. They should be more surprised that stoppage time continues to generally be 1-2 minutes first half and 3-5 second half despite this decrease.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

It is the right thing to do, will be silly at first 20 minutes+ etc. but if teams know they cannot get away with it they will stop time wasting as much as it is counter productive.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:02 pm It is the right thing to do, will be silly at first 20 minutes+ etc. but if teams know they cannot get away with it they will stop time wasting as much as it is counter productive.
I bloody hope so, as I reckon if the players packed in the time wasting as they'd know it would be added on anyway that we don't end up with a clock stop method.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

But who wants to watch a match last 2 hours 15 mins? That England one was dead & buried long before.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I think it's great.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

There’s got to be spread betting syndicates involved somewhere here. Wouldn’t be vaguely surprised if it transpires there’s unusual betting patterns on things like added time.
brothernero
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

Loving it and if helps to crack down on time wasting them how can anyone complain.

Lampard and Arteta will of course hate it.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm There’s got to be spread betting syndicates involved somewhere here. Wouldn’t be vaguely surprised if it transpires there’s unusual betting patterns on things like added time.
In a way, it's a great idea. You go to see 90 minutes of football with the ball in play, not 70 or whatever some games actually are.
However, what a great opportunity for results to be manipulated in Qatar if there's a potential shock result in progress.
Official Fergie time..
chelmsfordhammer91

Vic_Watson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:16 pm But who wants to watch a match last 2 hours 15 mins? That England one was dead & buried long before.
I think that's the point though. If it discourages time wasting, then there shouldn't be a need for half an hour added on regularly.

Injuries that are unavoidable have the time added on anyway, but how refreshing would it be to see all the flopping around for a minute or two, or lengthy throw in times, free kick delays reduce etc.
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

In the Palace game recently there were a couple of lengthy stops for injuries in the second half, plus the usual breaks for subs, etc, but the ref only gave the standard 4 minutes injury time, where it should have been nearer 8 to 10 to my mind. And wasn't the ball in play for something like 42 minutes only in the full match in last season's home game against Brentford?

Both times we lost to late goals without a chance to play what was a fair length of time. Of course I doubt we would have pulled one back but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity at least
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I’m all for it. Removes the purpose of the likes of Mourinho and Conte if it was introduced in our league.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 pm I think it's excellent.
The average time a ball is in play is under 60 minutes. I agree with Pete wholeheartedly.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Couldn't you just do all your time wasting in stoppage time instead?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

As fans we've been short changed for years. I hope this becomes the norm, although I may change my mind on that when I have a train to catch after an 8pm kick off.
chelmsfordhammer91

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:56 am Couldn't you just do all your time wasting in stoppage time instead?
No, because it is a minimum amount of time to be played, so the ref should be adding on any wasted time on top of that.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Why don't they just stop the clock when the ball isn't in play?

Think that would solve all the issues.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 pm Why don't they just stop the clock when the ball isn't in play?

Think that would solve all the issues.
That would add on at least half an hour I would have thought.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I like the fact the Refs are exaggeratingly pointing to their watches as well to make the point clear..