Stoppage Time

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Re: Stoppage Time

Post by NedN »

thamesideiron wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:36 pm I like the fact the Refs are exaggeratingly pointing to their watches as well to make the point clear..
Yes! This has been excellent. Unsure why it’s taken this long though and only happening in a World Cup. As stated in the OP, hopefully this flows to the leagues
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

Yet the officials in the Premier League manage to find more stoppage time when the 90 minutes are up, especially when any of their beloved big 6 are a goal behind :chin:
Captain Corelli
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by Captain Corelli »

Some on here are saying that it could be manipulated by betting syndicates, FIFA, individual players etc, but the way to stop that is to have a running countdown, that's stopped by the ref whenever such a stoppage occurs. Keeps it open and fair.

And for this reason, of course, it will never happen. :crylol:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

There is a serious movement by some to have two 30min halves with a time keeper who stops the clock r everytime the ball goes out. You'd actually end up with more football, not less!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 806 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Vic_Watson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:16 pm But who wants to watch a match last 2 hours 15 mins? That England one was dead & buried long before.
People who sell the incredibly expensive pitchside advertising.

£millions and £millions extra - vast sums.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:36 pm People who sell the incredibly expensive pitchside advertising.

£millions and £millions extra - vast sums.
Does it actually work? I’ve watched (at least part of) every game and cannot recall one pitch side advert, not one.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 806 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 pm Does it actually work? I’ve watched (at least part of) every game and cannot recall one pitch side advert, not one.
Yes, it does, even when you think it isn't.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:51 pm Yes, it does, even when you think it isn't.
I noticed something called 'Wanda' being advertised, no idea what it is though.
Has liked: 4554 likes
Total likes: 1539 likes

Post by Sticky »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:53 pm I noticed something called 'Wanda' being advertised, no idea what it is though.
It's a fish.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:53 pm I noticed something called 'Wanda' being advertised, no idea what it is though.
Their marketing strategy is aimless.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Whilst I agree in principle with adding on all stoppage time, I'm far from convinced it will put a stop to all the feigning injuries etc. Apart from time-wasting, it's also done to upset the flow of the game. For example in the Brentford and Burnley games last season, when we had built up momentum going forward, down would go one of their players, causing a break in play, and momentum was lost. For that reason, I don't expect teams to drop that tactic.
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 pm Does it actually work? I’ve watched (at least part of) every game and cannot recall one pitch side advert, not one.
A few years ago I worked for Budweiser and like this & most years they were the official beer of the World Cup. I was watching a game on TV with the head of finance for China and he noticed that the slogans were in roman letters only. He said that the Chinese market is really influenced by brands they see advertised so he called up the marketing department and got the electronic hoardings changed to alternate between Roman and Mandarin for the next game (and I looked and they were). I imagine other markets are similarly influenced

That said the only one I've really noticed so far this year beyond the hoo-hah about beer sales is, unsurprisingly, Qatar Airways
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by Prob »

I like it and it should bring it into the prem

However, our refs are too weak
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

The extended stoppage time is this World Cup's gimmick.
Remember the World Cup where the refs were given instructions to give a yellow if a player did anything to stop a free kick being taken?

The motives for the time being played is just about the advertising.
Just as the motives about expanding the World Cup isn't about securing a better tournament.

What could go wrong with ten more minutes, per game, when all the best players have come directly from their domestic leagues?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

7 minutes in the Japan match. That’s 15% of the 45 minutes. Was it it justified? Ref played 8. :chin:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Whitters wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:01 am A few years ago I worked for Budweiser and like this & most years they were the official beer of the World Cup. I was watching a game on TV with the head of finance for China and he noticed that the slogans were in roman letters only. He said that the Chinese market is really influenced by brands they see advertised so he called up the marketing department and got the electronic hoardings changed to alternate between Roman and Mandarin for the next game (and I looked and they were). I imagine other markets are similarly influenced

That said the only one I've really noticed so far this year beyond the hoo-hah about beer sales is, unsurprisingly, Qatar Airways
In Germany they have a technology where teh advertising shown on the adversiting hoardings is different for TV viewers in England than what is actually being shown on the hoardings in the ground
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

I've seen lots of adverts for Qatar energy...

I gather that you can't switch your gas bill over to them so not UK orientated.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:28 pm In Germany they have a technology where teh advertising shown on the adversiting hoardings is different for TV viewers in England than what is actually being shown on the hoardings in the ground
Yeah I've seen that. Clever stuff.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I like it and all for clamping down on time-wasting etc but the cynic in me says it's for advertising and a gimmick
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

szola wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:03 pm The extended stoppage time is this World Cup's gimmick.

The motives for the time being played is just about the advertising.
Good to know, thanks. I'll be sure to avoid looking at the adverts during the 48 - 50 minutes of actual play in the Prem from now on.

And there was I thinking this was a good thing ....