Best Teams So Far

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Shabu
Has liked: 4148 likes
Total likes: 2006 likes

Best Teams So Far

Post by Shabu »

So for those who have seen most of the matches who's been the best team or teams after the first round of games?

And who's been the worst?
Last edited by Shabu on Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Re: Best Team So Far

Post by Colours never run »

Spain are the Team to beat for me with the way they were popping it around for fun and being super clinical in front of goal, toying with the opposition. Over 1000 passes in a match left poor old Costa Rica chasing shadows all night long. Worst, Costa Rica with zero efforts at goal.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 606 likes
Total likes: 562 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Hard to argue with Spain, but what we've seen vs much better opposition in Serbia you could argue Brazil.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

France seriously impressed me too, even with all their injuries.

Oh yeah, and little old England too. They're alright I spose... :wink:
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Re: Best Teams So Far

Post by e17 »

England
France
Spain
Japan
Germany
r99c
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Us, France (although they took ~20m to get going), Brazil and Spain

Not sure about the order of the first three. I saw many different people saying Costa Rica were the worst team heading into the tournament so I'd wait until Spain's next game to form a properly solid opinion of them.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

r99c wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:56 pm Us, France (although they took ~20m to get going), Brazil and Spain

Not sure about the order of the first three. I saw many different people saying Costa Rica were the worst team heading into the tournament so I'd wait until Spain's next game to form a properly solid opinion of them.
Indeed we will. Another win for Spain sees Germany going home.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think Argentina though, will still.make it through to the next round. Their next match is against Mexico. who are more familiar opponents and should beat them and thatvwill give them a huge lift andv their last match is with Poland, who are miserable in tournament football
Colours never run

Argentina still concern me too. Ok, they got done and severely embarrassed but I also reckon it would have fired them up to prove the doubters wrong and start going through the gears. I do think Germany are done though.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

I didn't realize Brazil were so stacked. Bunch of premier league, and la liga players. They might have more prem players than us :crossed: I was impressed how Serbia handled them, shutting down the midfield but with all that quality it's just a matter of time isn't it. I originally was going with Argentina, and I still think they will get to round of 16 but f*ck me they dropped the ball against the Saudis.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Well I'm picking Mexico to beat the Argies :grin:
The Straw
Has liked: 544 likes
Total likes: 1329 likes

Post by The Straw »

Near impossible to tell at this stage who will be there at the end. France were rank in their first game in 2018. Spain lost to Switzerland in their opener in 2010.

Even though they've got work to do, if teams like Argentina and Germany can sneak through then they can be dangerous.

We did look good the other day, but it only takes Kane's ankle to go for us to be knackered. Southgate hasn't bothered giving anyone else a proper try even in friendlies, so he's got all his eggs in that basket.

Interestingly Neymar looks to have picked up an injury but Brazil look more equipped to be able to deal with that.

Portugal are complete shithouses and could shithouse their way through the tournament. Horrendous shithouses :crylol:

My wife is Spanish (well... Catalan) so i'm hoping we meet them in the final.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The Straw wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:26 am Near impossible to tell at this stage who will be there at the end. France were rank in their first game in 2018. Spain lost to Switzerland in their opener in 2010.

Even though they've got work to do, if teams like Argentina and Germany can sneak through then they can be dangerous.

We did look good the other day, but it only takes Kane's ankle to go for us to be knackered. Southgate hasn't bothered giving anyone else a proper try even in friendlies, so he's got all his eggs in that basket.

Interestingly Neymar looks to have picked up an injury but Brazil look more equipped to be able to deal with that.

Portugal are complete shithouses and could shithouse their way through the tournament. Horrendous shithouses :crylol:

My wife is Spanish (well... Catalan) so i'm hoping we meet them in the final.
This thread isn't about who will win the tournament, just who's looked the best so far. And who the worst.
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Agreed that France, Spain and England looked the most impressive so far. But the teams that start strongest rarely go on to win the thing.
Worst by a country mile were Qatar then Costa Rica.
Reserving judgment on the likes of Belgium, Netherlands and Brazil.
Germany’s position looks pretty bleak to me, with Spain favourites to beat them in the next game and Japan highly likely to beat Costa Rica. But you never know.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I’ve been in Brazil and Argentina on holiday in the last two weeks, in Buenos Aires currently.

I’ve spoken to a lot of uber drivers that say they think their teams will win, but if not they think it’s Englands.
jevs
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

So far, I thought Spain looked the complete unit. Let's see what they do against Germany.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

England so far but the opposition coming up is a step up. two hard group games followed by possibly holland and france .

so far so good. todays match should tell us more
sword
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by sword »

France
Spain
Brazil
England

probably in that order, for me.
Kermit
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Kermit »

sword wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:57 am France
Spain
Brazil
England

probably in that order, for me.
Wouldn't disagree with the 4 you've picked. However I'd be inclined to say Brazil's performance was the best simply because, at least imo, the quality of their opposition was better than the other 3.

And tbh I thought Brazil looked better after Neymar was taken off. There seems to be a bit of an obsession with getting the ball to him.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

No team looks insurmountable.

They all seem to have glaring weaknesses for me.