World cup. Anyone unexpectedly enjoying it?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

OFT
Has liked: 2953 likes
Total likes: 1745 likes

Re: World cup. Anyone unexpectedly enjoying it?

Post by OFT »

I wanted to avoid it, it shouldn't be there and it shouldn't be now etc. I avoided the first round of games completely, including England. Gradually got drawn in as the tournament got going although most games were watched with sound off and music playing. I wouldn't say I've enjoyed it, International footy ain't really my thing, it's like the Prem but with extra shithousing and arse licking commentary.

Not expecting to watch any more of it.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

My lot had a right good debrief about this after the England game yesteday, and one of ours made a statement we all universally agreed with.

It’s been enjoyable, as it always is, because it’s largely a tournament that allows for the avoidance of the industry of football punditry and the employment of people who kicked a ball so should talk about kicking a ball.

In the 70s and 80s, Gary Neville and Chris Sutton would have ****ed off to run a pub or play charity golf games or quietly died. No one wanted to hear their opinion about footballers who have already achieved more for their country than they ever did.

The beauty of the WC is that daytime games and terrestrial coverage means wandering off during half time and ignoring iPlayer, ITV X or the telly, is nice and simple. When they are pundits with a genuine interesting voice, like Ally McCoist or Zabaleta, then it’s easy enough to zone back in.

I made the mistake of watching 5 minutes of Jamie Redknapp gobbing off about Southgate and Kane on Sky Sports News last night after the match. I’d hold more respect for the average Joe in the street than these idiots’ opinions. They can barely talk. Why would anyone care what Paul Merson or Redknapp think of Sterling or Pickfords efforts for our nation? They utterly, abjectly failed compared to these lads.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

e17 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:49 am My lot had a right good debrief about this after the England game yesteday, and one of ours made a statement we all universally agreed with.

It’s been enjoyable, as it always is, because it’s largely a tournament that allows for the avoidance of the industry of football punditry and the employment of people who kicked a ball so should talk about kicking a ball.

In the 70s and 80s, Gary Neville and Chris Sutton would have ****ed off to run a pub or play charity golf games or quietly died. No one wanted to hear their opinion about footballers who have already achieved more for their country than they ever did.

The beauty of the WC is that daytime games and terrestrial coverage means wandering off during half time and ignoring iPlayer, ITV X or the telly, is nice and simple. When they are pundits with a genuine interesting voice, like Ally McCoist or Zabaleta, then it’s easy enough to zone back in.

I made the mistake of watching 5 minutes of Jamie Redknapp gobbing off about Southgate and Kane on Sky Sports News last night after the match. I’d hold more respect for the average Joe in the street than these idiots’ opinions. They can barely talk. Why would anyone care what Paul Merson or Redknapp think of Sterling or Pickfords efforts for our nation? They utterly, abjectly failed compared to these lads.
And whilst not wanting to turn this into a "female football, isn't it ****" debate, we have had female pundits rammed down our throats this World Cup in a way not yet witnessed.

If I have to hear one more "when I won 3000 caps playing for England , home games at Roots Hall due to the demand you know" then I may just kill myself.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

White Goodman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 am And whilst not wanting to turn this into a "female football, isn't it ****" debate, we have had female pundits rammed down our throats this World Cup in a way not yet witnessed.

If I have to hear one more "when I won 3000 caps playing for England , home games at Roots Hall due to the demand you know" then I may just kill myself.

What they are actually inadvertently telling us is that you do not need to have played football anywhere near the level of those playing the matches to commentate or indeed give your view, which is fine. They should save money and get 14 year old boys on to do the job or bring back the f*** fest that was Sky Fanzone
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

White Goodman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 amIf I have to hear one more "when I won 3000 caps playing for England , home games at Roots Hall due to the demand you know" then I may just kill myself.
Not gender related, but Eni Aluko announcing how she’d have got someone else to take the second penalty if she was England manager was the point where I switched to Channel 5 and “the secrets of Greggs sausage rolls” last night,

Just words coming out of a mouth for money at that point,
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4252 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's flat, lacks atmosphere and is strangely out of place in the calendar. The only bits I've really enjoyed have involved the Japanese.

The one true blessing is that it has enabled me to forget West Ham until yesterday.

On the subject of pundits, who I tend to ignore at the best of times - my wife did ask why all the blokes seem so thick and inarticulate compared to the women pundits yesterday?
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Not any more...
funky chicken
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1237 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Nope.

Can’t stand international football and can’t wait until it’s over. I’d take West Ham’s current struggles over watching England play any day of the week.

Bring on the final when this cr*p can finally end.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1305 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I might have half an eye on Morocco tomorrow, but I must admit I've lost all interest since Korea/England were eliminated.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Qatar should never have had it, but leaving all that corrupt/political/human rights side firmly at the door I have loved the footballing side.

Seeing the so called smaller sides giving the so called big boys bloody noses is brilliant. Morocco & Japan particularly, bar Qatar, every team have shown something in patches. I do despise the licking of arse of certain teams and players, and in the main the commentary/punditry has been poor, but I can get past that, I do every weekend for the PL, so nothing new there.

Qatar as a host has been average, there have though been some matches with a cracking atmosphere, mainly games involving African/South American teams.

Us going out has somewhat lessened my interest, but will get behind the Croats & Morocco, I did think for 5 mins that Messi/Argentina winning it may be a lovely way to bow out for one of the greatest players, but f*** that, come on the Croats!

Overall, really enjoyed it.