⚽ MSF: Cambridge Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (6/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: ⚽ Cambridge United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:59 pm If he isn't back yet at the Club, I wonder when he'll return to work with our important returning game against Arsenal on boxing day just over 2 weeks away now?

I thought, well maybe other managers aren't bothering to return to the dugout just yet but see that Arteta was with his Arsenal side away at Lyon recently.
I don't follow Arsenal, so I'm not sure if they have any players at the WC, and if they do, how many would be normal starters for them.

I do know , as far as WHU are concerned, Rice, Paqueta, Agured are likely starters at the Emirates, so he may have concluded that until he gets those players back he isn't going to achieve much more than get the players match fit for the restart, and Warburtons capable of that.

People forget since project restart neither the players nor manager have had a very long break, I don't really begrudge the Manager being away, scouting players or keeping an eye on his prize assets.

I mean, had he been at The Abbey the other night, he wouldn't pick Scamacca anytime soon based upon his finishing.

Some Managers take training every single day themselves, some others never do it at all.

Or are we just looking for ANOTHER stick to beat Moyes with?
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm

I think we know the answer to that one.....
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:59 pm If he isn't back yet at the Club, I wonder when he'll return to work with our important returning game against Arsenal on boxing day just over 2 weeks away now?

I thought, well maybe other managers aren't bothering to return to the dugout just yet but see that Arteta was with his Arsenal side away at Lyon recently.

https://talksport.com/football/1271955/ ... 1670529619
Yeah I'm sure Moyes is just sat at home with his feet up watching corrie and doing zero planning for our next few league games....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm I don't follow Arsenal, so I'm not sure if they have any players at the WC, and if they do, how many would be normal starters for them.
Ben White went but then left for personal reasons = starter
the Brasilian lad Martinelli or something like that = starter
Xhaka the Swiss lad = starter
did Partey get hurt or if not he'd have been with Ghana squad, think he was there = starter
Saka for us lot = starter
Gabriel Jesus who got hurt and now needs surgery = starter
Saliba for France (I think) = starter
Tomiyasu the Japanese lad = starter

that's off the top of my head...(and google help)

:winker:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm I don't follow Arsenal, so I'm not sure if they have any players at the WC, and if they do, how many would be normal starters for them.

I do know , as far as WHU are concerned, Rice, Paqueta, Agured are likely starters at the Emirates, so he may have concluded that until he gets those players back he isn't going to achieve much more than get the players match fit for the restart, and Warburtons capable of that.

People forget since project restart neither the players nor manager have had a very long break, I don't really begrudge the Manager being away, scouting players or keeping an eye on his prize assets.

I mean, had he been at The Abbey the other night, he wouldn't pick Scamacca anytime soon based upon his finishing.

Some Managers take training every single day themselves, some others never do it at all.

Arsenal have had numerous players at the World Cup and looking at it now still have 3 starters in Saliba, Saka and Martinelli. I've used them (I could have used other examples but chose just 1) as a comparison of what a manager is doing in prioritising his time with the players having already reported back for duty.

And the reason I think it's important is we are currently right in the brown stuff at the wrong end of the table whilst playing mostly poor football in the League and Carabao Cup. And with that in mind I would have thought our manager would have made the best use of his time whilst we have been afforded the luxury of this unique 6 week break. I didn't begrudge him some time away as I didn't the players, but to still be allegedly away with just over 2 weeks before our important London Derby I find unacceptable. Maybe there's a very good reason for it and it hasn't been revealed but until then some like me will find him accountable for being absent for so long now. To still be away after all our troubles on the pitch, it's not exactly a good look or breeds confidence that he'll turn things around sharpish.

Here's another example of a manager returning to the dug out to run the rule over his players on Wednesday...

https://talksport.com/football/1271396/ ... 1670540162
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1331 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

I’d hope Moyes has spent the last week or so confirming plans for January transfers, incoming, outgoing, loans whatever. That’s probably better use of time than supervising the first game at Cambridge, but I’d still hope his coaches are working to a install a new more positive pattern in his absence. Accepting January activity will be limited, but whatever we do needs to be done quickly, we cannot afford to be procrastinating through the month and only seeing new faces in February, there will always be difficulties but if there are move on swiftly to next on the list, I that’s one lesson the summer has to have taught the club.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Off sorting out January transfers like he achieved last January? In my opinion he should be concentrating mostly with what he does have to work with on the training field/Friendlies to get them playing in a better way and not leave that to the likes of Nolan/Warburton to tinker about with in his absence.

And it's not just about the return of 1 game but 3 in quick succession in 10 days. There's little time between those 3 crucial games to work on stuff on the training ground, so this time really should be best utilised to iron out the many issues we've clearly suffered with this season.
Last edited by Colours never run on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:25 am Off sorting out January transfers like he achieved last January? In my opinion he should be concentrating mostly with what he does have to work with on the training field/Friendlies to get them playing in a better way and not leave that to the likes of Nolan/Warburton to tinker about with in his absence.
God forbid he leaves the players to be coached by a bunch of football coaches...what negligence!!
1895Hammer

Post by 1895Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:25 am Off sorting out January transfers like he achieved last January? In my opinion he should be concentrating mostly with what he does have to work with on the training field/Friendlies to get them playing in a better way and not leave that to the likes of Nolan/Warburton to tinker about with in his absence.
If his coaches can’t implement his plan we’ve got the wrong people, and I don’t think any manager takes sole charge of training. The fact last January was a disaster is exactly why this time around needs more effort, and most importantly clear early decisions. A sensible organisation would have seen Moyes and his team lock themselves away immediately after the last game, agree the playing style changes they want to bring in, and confirm a list ( probably financially limited) of targeted recruitment and exits. Then have a couple of weeks off and come back firing on all cylinders last weekend. Moyes has been seen on video at Rush Green, so he’s had input, but if he missed Cambridge while trying to sort the 1 or 2 quality players I hope we bring in in January I’m ok with that.
Colours never run

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:31 am God forbid he leaves the players to be coached by a bunch of football coaches...what negligence!!
I wonder how many will also share that view looking back, should we struggle in the restart..
Colours never run

1895Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:37 am If his coaches can’t implement his plan we’ve got the wrong people, and I don’t think any manager takes sole charge of training. The fact last January was a disaster is exactly why this time around needs more effort, and most importantly clear early decisions. A sensible organisation would have seen Moyes and his team lock themselves away immediately after the last game, agree the playing style changes they want to bring in, and confirm a list ( probably financially limited) of targeted recruitment and exits. Then have a couple of weeks off and come back firing on all cylinders last weekend. Moyes has been seen on video at Rush Green, so he’s had input, but if he missed Cambridge while trying to sort the 1 or 2 quality players I hope we bring in in January I’m ok with that.
And yet Ten Hag and Arteta amongst others see it differently by taking charge of their returning players.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:38 am I wonder how many will also share that view looking back, should we struggle in the restart..
A lot of people want Moyes out, so I would assume the less he's potentially having to do with training the better, in their eyes, surely?
Colours never run

S-H wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 am A lot of people want Moyes out, so I would assume the less he's potentially having to do with training the better, in their eyes, surely?
Not for me, that moment has now gone, I want him ideally to sort us out pronto as I'd love to see us beat Arsenal before hopefully going on a run to move away from the bottom 3, now the Club have decided to stick by him. I didn't agree with that decision but it's too late for the upcoming fixtures in quick succession to change having backed him.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:45 am Not for me, that moment has now gone, I want him ideally to sort us out pronto as I'd love to see us beat Arsenal before hopefully going on a run to move away from the bottom 3, now the Club have decided to stick by him. I didn't agree with that decision but it's too late for the upcoming fixtures in quick succession to change having backed him.
I refuse to believe that he isn't in or around the training ground in some compacity at present.

However, it would be a extremely disappointing, to learn that he's yet to return, I cannot see any excuses for that, he should have been the first back.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what emerges.
Colours never run

S-H wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:52 am I refuse to believe that he isn't in or around the training ground in some compacity at present.

However, it would be a extremely disappointing, to learn that he's yet to return, I cannot see any excuses for that, he should have been the first back.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what emerges.
I think it was important to be in the dugout for the 1st game back, not just about being at the training ground which I thought would be a given.
1895Hammer

Post by 1895Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am I think it was important to be in the dugout for the 1st game back, not just about being at the training ground which I thought would be a given.
We don’t actually know if he was at Cambridge or not do we ? He may have been higher in the stand getting a different angle, he’s certainly featured in training videos so he’s around the club. We need to try something different.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

We've had the argument that losing Stuart Pearce is the reason why our form has slumped - the same Stuart Pearce who was never on the match day bench but was somehow pulling all the strings to now tentative suggestions of neglect because Moyes wan't in the dug out for a kick about at Cambridge.

Not even Mr Motivator can keep up with that amount of stretching.
manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by manstev »

Re: Moyes at Cambridge.

I can confirm he was 100% there. We were sat at the very back of the stand behind the dugout, and he was in the front row of the posh seats. He went to the dugout a couple of times, then came back up to his seat.

More interestingly he was sitting next to Mark Noble, and they were deep in conversation for large periods.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Pretty kind of Moyes to let Warburton get some practice in with the squad and post-game media, to be honest. What a gent.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

manstev wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:44 am Re: Moyes at Cambridge.

I can confirm he was 100% there. We were sat at the very back of the stand behind the dugout, and he was in the front row of the posh seats. He went to the dugout a couple of times, then came back up to his seat.

More interestingly he was sitting next to Mark Noble, and they were deep in conversation for large periods.
Thanks for sharing that info mate 👍