⚽ MSF: Cambridge Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (6/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Re: ⚽ Cambridge United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Benaloon »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm

Or are we just looking for ANOTHER stick to beat Moyes with?
I mean I think it's fine and don't have an issue, but this a point people loved to bash Pellegrini for, so...
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Benaloon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:37 pm I mean I think it's fine and don't have an issue, but this a point people loved to bash Pellegrini for, so...
Someone has already confirmed he was sat in front of them at the game so that's been put to bed.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

manstev wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:44 am Re: Moyes at Cambridge.

I can confirm he was 100% there. We were sat at the very back of the stand behind the dugout, and he was in the front row of the posh seats. He went to the dugout a couple of times, then came back up to his seat.

More interestingly he was sitting next to Mark Noble, and they were deep in conversation for large periods.
Cheese for answering the question. :thup:
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 am And yet Ten Hag and Arteta amongst others see it differently by taking charge of their returning players.
2 day moan up only to be told he WAS at the game :crylol:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Takeiteasy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm 2 day moan up only to be told he WAS at the game :crylol:
What the f*** is he doing at the game? Idiot should be either having a break to clear his mind or watching other games to identify targets for January. Sack him.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Takeiteasy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm 2 day moan up only to be told he WAS at the game :crylol:
He has a habit of making stuff up.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

manstev wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:44 am

More interestingly he was sitting next to Mark Noble, and they were deep in conversation for large periods.
So Mark, about this diploma of yours, have you got any tips ?

In all seriousness, I think having Noble back will make a huge difference as I think his loss is far more than that of Pearce.

The thing with Noble is that he gets us as a club probably more than anyone else currently employed. He will be stressing to Moyes and the players that giving 100% is the bare minimum expected. I also think he won’t be shy in telling Moyes where he thinks Paqueta should play for example. He will only give input that will benefit us as a club.

If it’s true that we’ve brought in Moyes’ old chief scout at Everton and Noble is actively involved, it may be that Moyes will perform better having his mates around him. To lose Pearce, Noble and Irvine as well as some lively characters from the dressing room all at once and then replace with mainly foreign players who couldn’t care less about WHU, it’s history or it’s fans, is huge and shouldn’t be underestimated.

He has the tools, the people and “his” signings in place now ready for the restart so things should be better
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Always thought it was only a lack of physical attributes, pace and athleticism, that stopped Noble being international class rather than just a very good PL midfielder. I suspect his tactical nous is up there with the best, and I hope his new role allows him to shape a pattern of play used throughout the club, he seems very attuned to the world around him, from what I understand of his non football business interests he listens to the right people and makes the informed decisions that have made him very comfortable financially. Done properly this “ Director of Football” role can be a powerful force for good, bonus for us is Nobes is totally aware of our traditions and culture. However there is a very big question looming around Moyes accepting a philosophy and strategic direction from a former player, so will Noble become more than a player liaison officer and fulfil his far wider ambitions, or will we need to move to a more continental model with Noble involved in designing patterns implemented in partnership with a coach, which I suspect is what’s happening at Arsenal between Edu and Arteta.
Most intriguingly what if anything was going through Sullivans mind when appointing Nobes ?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

1895Hammer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:48 am Always thought it was only a lack of physical attributes, pace and athleticism, that stopped Noble being international class rather than just a very good PL midfielder. I suspect his tactical nous is up there with the best, and I hope his new role allows him to shape a pattern of play used throughout the club, he seems very attuned to the world around him, from what I understand of his non football business interests he listens to the right people and makes the informed decisions that have made him very comfortable financially. Done properly this “ Director of Football” role can be a powerful force for good, bonus for us is Nobes is totally aware of our traditions and culture.
On the first bit, I always felt he was another gear away from being an international. Probably not a top class international, but a solid one. Then he'd have been able to beat the press like a Parker or Rice.

On the second I completely agree. I can see him having more influence as he develops in the role. As you say, setting the tone for the coaching team and given us that consistency across coaches which has been sorely lacking over the years as we flip flop from one extreme of approach to the other.

For once it feels like the structure behind the scenes is coming together while ironically we feel further away from that consistency on the pitch.