⚽ MSF: Cambridge Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (6/12/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: ⚽ Cambridge United vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

What injury did Soucek pick up?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Nice to see the festive joy doing the rounds after a comfortable friendly win :lol:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:46 pm What injury did Soucek pick up?
Back injury. Something to do with how he slept I think is what Warbuton said.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:46 pm What injury did Soucek pick up?
He read KUMB and now has deeply bruised feelings. Out for 10 days.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Nice gentle run out to build fitness, confidence and get the non- WC players back to it.

But, unfortunately, it also showed this:

West Ham United: Fabiański, Johnson, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell ©, Downes, Coventry, Fornals, Lanzini, Bowen, Antonio
Subs: Randolph (GK), Hegyi (GK), Coufal, Emerson, Greenidge, Laing, Forbes, Ekwah, Potts, Earthy, Appiah-Forson, Benrahma, Swyer, Scamacca

Arguably only 3 names of the above should be anywhere near next seasons 1st XI.A harsher critic than me may suggest it could only be 2 of them.

We also have Soucek, Cornet and Zouma to come back from injury and Paqueta,Agured(injured), Kehrer and Areola to return from Qatar.Rice, it seems fairly safe to assume won't be here.

That gives us

Areola
Zouma, Agured...........Kehrer & Emerson at a stretch
Bowen,Fornals, Paqueta, Cornet,Soucek, Downes..........Benny

..............Scamacca

to pick a team from.

Really, where I'm going with this, is we are going to need to sign another half a dozen or so in the summer,

It's all of the Rice money plus about £50m on top.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

A good run out for the players we had available. The only negative to take out of yesterday in general, let alone for this friendly, was the injuries to some of our players. Hopefully Aguerd, Cresswell and Soucek will be okay. We especially can’t afford another injury to Aguerd when we only have Grandpa Dawson and Grandpa Oggy to choose from. Cornet is starting to make Kieron Dyer look more robust.

Great finishes for some of our goals. It was nice to see Bowen and Benrahma on the scoresheet. Scamacca, despite not scoring himself, got into some very good positions.

It’s always fantastic to see the youngsters getting some minutes. Ekwah is allegedly available for a loan move in January. So his goal won’t do him any harm.

The most important thing is the players continue to get fitter and ready for the Gooners on Boxing Day.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Always was Pinky, we’ve mismanaged the squad for years and it’s come home to roost. People got excited at the number coming in this summer but the aged and departed players made it essential, and 2023 looks no different with Fabianski, Ogbonna, Dawson, Cresswell and Antonio reaching final stages of their careers and Rice almost certainly off. You’d hope they are on the case and it’s a couple like this Luizao lad with immediate potential plus 3 or 4 starters already targeted, all ideally coming in before the season starts this time. That’s
another £150m plus, you’d think the Moyes situation would have to settle before committing that, part Rice funded or not, and who knows what the ownership looks like next summer. I do think we have a few very promising youngsters who could be in the squad next year though, anyone watching the Cambridge game last night saw us improve when the kids, and Benny, came on, weak oppo maybe, but Ekwah and co made a point.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 am Always was Pinky, we’ve mismanaged the squad for years and it’s come home to roost. People got excited at the number coming in this summer but the aged and departed players made it essential, and 2023 looks no different with Fabianski, Ogbonna, Dawson, Cresswell and Antonio reaching final stages of their careers and Rice almost certainly off......

That’s another £150m plus, you’d think the Moyes situation would have to settle before committing that, part Rice funded or not, and who knows what the ownership looks like next summer.
Such is the degree of rebuilding required, we may , perversely, be desperate for Rice to go as we need the money.

The idea that we will get a huge fee for him seems far away wishful thinking. He has a stronger hand than the club.

Based upon the first hour last night ( and yes, I know it was a kick about), the profile of what we were looking at dictates a rebuild, and if Declan decides to stay or other clubs decide not to bid high, we may be "stuck" with him, surrounded by Dads army.

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 am I do think we have a few very promising youngsters who could be in the squad next year though, anyone watching the Cambridge game last night saw us improve when the kids, and Benny, came on, weak oppo maybe, but Ekwah and co made a point.
I agree, we looked better with the youthful legs - against Cambridge United. We both know they aren't ready for the PL though.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:24 am Such is the degree of rebuilding required, we may , perversely, be desperate for Rice to go as we need the money.
Didn't someone in here get pulled by one of the mods on here for mentioning the Rice money.?
Apparently it's all gone.
Although I find it hard to believe myself.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

not entirely sure i agree with the official site assertion that it was "emphatic" at 4-2 against league 1 opposition lol

I know it was just a run out for fitness and nothing can be judged on friendlies. But it has to be said that little seemed to have changed from how we played our last competitive match. Our defensive players (including midfield) still seem to be having an ongoing competition as to who can do the worst pass to the opposition. Ogbonna's was awful. I'm guessing that the emerson one was deliberate so Greg Taylor could score then go off as it was his testimonial?

Ours senior two strikers still can't score, our defence looks fragile, johnson still gets a nosebleed at the halfway line. The kids did well.
Benny and fornals were good. Bowen better. but there was no difference to how any senior players were set up or formation etc.
Hopefully some evidence of changing something in order to improve may be evident v udinese or fulham but i'm not holding my breath.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

mushy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 am Didn't someone in here get pulled by one of the mods on here for mentioning the Rice money.?
No idea Mushy, but I'm more than happy to discuss it. We don't though have endless editorial meetings as a Modding team. This site has one editor and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't made any such decision. He has his opinions, other mods have theirs , I've got mine and you've got yours. We're not the Washington post, and while I look like a fat Robert Redford we're not remaking All the Presidents Men anytime soon.
mushy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 am
Apparently it's all gone.
Who knows for sure? It may have, it may not have, the clubs accounts will be issued shortly and we'll all have our own views then. My take is, if we finish this season in the bottom six, the money won't have been spent, if we finish in the top 6 it will all have been spent.
mushy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 am Although I find it hard to believe myself.
Me too, but we're only talking about £75m or thereabouts.

Just about enough for three defenders.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

kitthehammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:06 pm not entirely sure i agree with the official site assertion that it was "emphatic" at 4-2 against league 1 opposition lol

I know it was just a run out for fitness and nothing can be judged on friendlies. But it has to be said that little seemed to have changed from how we played our last competitive match. Our defensive players (including midfield) still seem to be having an ongoing competition as to who can do the worst pass to the opposition. Ogbonna's was awful. I'm guessing that the emerson one was deliberate so Greg Taylor could score then go off as it was his testimonial?

Ours senior two strikers still can't score, our defence looks fragile, johnson still gets a nosebleed at the halfway line. The kids did well.
Benny and fornals were good. Bowen better. but there was no difference to how any senior players were set up or formation etc.
Hopefully some evidence of changing something in order to improve may be evident v udinese or fulham but i'm not holding my breath.
One thing that did change for the better when the kids came on was speed of passing and movement, we seemed more prepared to play through the lines, particularly Ekwah, probably encouraged by having a striker who can actually control the ball rather than just chase it.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:21 pm One thing that did change for the better when the kids came on was speed of passing and movement, we seemed more prepared to play through the lines, particularly Ekwah, probably encouraged by having a striker who can actually control the ball rather than just chase it.
Spot on. We looked good. Caveat, though, as always, the opposition.

Mind you, it was the same opposition when we weren't looking good.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

I missed the game, did we try any different tactics or formations by any chance?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:08 am Really, where I'm going with this, is we are going to need to sign another half a dozen or so in the summer,

It's all of the Rice money plus about £50m on top.
Indeed... within 15 months the squad will look very different. While I would expect a few you haven't listed to still be key in the squad (Johnson, Cresswell to name 2) we are still a work in progress.

Expect a big chunk of Rice money to go on someone in the middle of the pitch who can lead (JWP would be my bet)
Gazwhu66
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Gazwhu66 »

WCpete wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:35 pm Take Scamacca off. Wrap him in cotton. Don't need to lose him.
He's not set the world alight yet but mummifying him is a bit harsh
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Does anyone know if Moyes was in the Stands running the rule over the players, as he apparently wasn't in the dugout and Warburton took the post match interview?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Be a shame if he wasn't, I think he had a very nice spell at Cambridge during his playing days. So much so that I know people from around here who worked at the club and went to his wedding.
Colours never run

If he isn't back yet at the Club, I wonder when he'll return to work with our important returning game against Arsenal on boxing day just over 2 weeks away now?

I thought, well maybe other managers aren't bothering to return to the dugout just yet but see that Arteta was with his Arsenal side away at Lyon recently.

https://talksport.com/football/1271955/ ... 1670529619