Rules that need changing

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Rules that need changing

Post by ironside58 »

Ball over the line for goals, corners and throwing. Although loved the fact Japan won, the easy answer is if you can see grass between the ball and white line it is out. Easy to use cameras and have absolute proof.

When a player is offside when initial ball is passed, either need to retreat 5 yards or wait 10 seconds before they can be active. German 4th goal last night was ridiculous.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Re: Rules that need changing

Post by ironside58 »

Just realised first idea doesn't work when ball is in the air.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

They just need to use hawkeye for whenever the ball goes out of play. The same technology they use to see if the ball crosses the line for a goal should be used all around the pitch.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

ironside58 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:15 pm Just realised first idea doesn't work when ball is in the air.
:crylol:
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by mattyD »

Wrong thread but f*** me Uruguay are ****ing nasty - a stamp that should have been a red and diving all over the place. Total incompetence from all the officials.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mattyD wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:46 pm Wrong thread but **** me Uruguay are ****ing nasty - a stamp that should have been a red and diving all over the place. Total incompetence from all the officials.
Agree. Suarez is a complete sh*t, and most of his team mates are no better. Really hope they crash and burn soon.

And would love to see a proper reply of the Ghana pen - keeper looked to be way off the line even if Ayew's attempt was crap.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1877 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

ironside58 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 pm
When a player is offside when initial ball is passed, either need to retreat 5 yards or wait 10 seconds before they can be active. German 4th goal last night was ridiculous.
While I wouldn't disagree with the initial premise, I don't think your example is fair.
The German player was offside only because a Costa Rican defender pushed/swung him there. To be deemed offside as the result of a foul is a bit harsh in my view.

Perhaps another to add to your list would be to cut out all the bull**** that goes on in and around the box at set pieces?
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Eggchaser wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:01 pm Perhaps another to add to your list would be to cut out all the bull**** that goes on in and around the box at set pieces?
The rule is already in place. A foul in the box should result in a penalty. It just needs enforced.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

jastons wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 pm The rule is already in place. A foul in the box should result in a penalty. It just needs enforced.
Yes, I know, sadly too rarely enforced :thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:57 pm Really hope they crash and burn soon.
Think you got your wish

Ghana Kama :crylol:
PrinceHisback
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by PrinceHisback »

Destroying the penalty spot - red card.

Standing and blocking a free-kick - yellow card (the rule is there but never used)
neil_d
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by neil_d »

We should have a few seasons where the laws of the game are left alone for a bit. Might be a chance for commentators and pundits (and maybe even players and managers) to actually read them.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The main problem with VAR and technology, IMHO, is not that it is wrong but that it exaggerates and exacerbates the minutiae of the rules. And, the more precise it becomes the more it will be open for critism. There is no room for fairness, reasonable doubt or spectator 'enjoyment'. The laws of the game before VAR allowed for margin of error and reasonable doubt even if disputed during or post match. Video evidence post match, scrutinised by so called pundits, destroyed that for ever, hence thd introduction of VAR. So, for my money, the laws of the game need to be fine tuned to allow for fine margins
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Reverting the offside law back to what it was before they started ****ing around with it would be nice.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Throw ins. Hate them. It's Foot Ball.
Put the ball down, and kick it.
You don't have a corner throw, do you?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

No that wouldnt work, every time the ball went out within 30 yards of the opponents goal itd be like a free kick.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Go down clutching you head? Your obviously at risk of concussion. Leave the field for 5minutes while we thoroughly check you over.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

PrinceHisback wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:33 pm
Standing and blocking a free-kick - yellow card (the rule is there but never used)
Another one the irritates the crap out of me, and another that they had a little purge on a couple of years ago, then forgot about. :furrow:
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

ironside58 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 pm Ball over the line for goals, corners and throwing. Although loved the fact Japan won, the easy answer is if you can see grass between the ball and white line it is out. Easy to use cameras and have absolute proof
It isn't though is it?
Where would you put the camera for goal line technology?
The Straw
Has liked: 594 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

How about a new rule.

Anyone who I deem to have cheated will get a citation by me.

Every 3 months those players who have been cited (which will be pretty much all of them) will have to attend a Mad Max Thunderdome style event whereby they will be forced to fight each other for 90 minutes straight in a mass brawl.Really give the something to scream about. Anyone who refuses to fight or are fake fighting, gets put into The Pit Of Despair. Unclear what happens in there but nobody ever comes out.

Might be tricky to enforce but would cut out the cheating.